RCA jack splitters for DVD-audio and SACD 6 channel connections

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Judy Y, Jun 24, 2002.

1. Judy Y

Judy Y Stunt Coordinator

Anyone tried this? Would it work? I know there are DVD-audio and SACD players that play BOTH, but I already have a DVD-audio player and just want to consider adding an inexpensive SACD player- but there aren't any receivers or preamps I know of that offer TWO sets of pre inputs.....

Any switch boxes out there for this function??

2. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    Judy - here is one that is made - http://home.attbi.com/~shawnfogg/
    The other option is the $600 list Sony ES preamp, TA-P9000ES. You can see it as Crutchfield's web site, www.crutchfield.com
    One of these days I might even make one, but by the time I put all WBT RCAs in it and get all the materials I would want to use either of the above options would be more cost effective when you factor in the time to make it and drill into project box cases to make them look nice.

3. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    Judy, the new Sony ES receivers I believe has 2 sets of multi-channel inputs. You can also view them at Crutchfield's site which also has pictures of the rear panels.

4. Judy Y

Judy Y Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the replies. I am trying to move...uh... sideways?? from an Adcom GTP 740 back to a receiver. I don't want to sacrifice too much musically to do this. Also, I am looking for bang for the buck. (The Adcom is very much a turkey in many respects but I have always thought it sounded good compared to an older Kenwood dolby digital and an older Pioneer dolby digital receiver.)

Two receivers I am looking at are the Marantz 7200 and the Harman Kardon AVR 320. I have read that these two are good for music. Any idea if the same could be said for the Sony ES? Looking at some reviews, the Sonys did not seem to rate as well as the H/K's and Marantz for music.

Reason for change to receiver from Adcom preamp

1.) Want to do Dvd Audio and, possibly SACD
    2.) Want to move up to 6.1
    3.) Want digital output for cd recording
    4.) Want dolby pro logic 2, DTS Neo and/or logic 7 processing
    5.) Want component video switching

Many of these things I want have to do with making my system easier for my significant other to use.

Thanks, again, for taking the time to respond!

5. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    Judy, my bedroom system has last year's Sony 444ES receiver in it. I have not listened to the new ones for any length of time and they have made some refinements. My 444ES is quite passable in the analog direct mode but the DSP and DACS don't sound that great. Keep in mind, my main system is fairly high-end so to others they may sound very good. I have heard Marantz products many times and they are OK for music. One local dealer carries Marantz and Rotel and carries very select Marantz products since it takes about 30 seconds if that to determine that the Rotel puts it to shame on music. Rotel is coming out with a new model (1055). It won't do high-def component switching but I bet it will be very good and has amplfiers you can assign to the channels for. It comes with 5 channels of amplification and if you decide you want to add a better amp for the front channels and use the built in ones for 6.1 or 7.1 back channels that is a nice feature. Sony ES and Rotel also come with 5-year warranties which is nice. So guess it boils down to what someone defines as good for music. I help my friend who works at a high-end shop part-time when he has something heavy to deliver (e.g. 220lb. shipping weight of $20k Levinson mono-blocks) and am used to hearing really very high-end music systems so I may not be the best person to ask about receivers - the section of the forum on receivers may be a little better place to look.

6. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    PS - my significant other is my dog and I also don't have that problem as he uses the system very infrequently for movies such as '101 Dalmations.,

7. Judy Y

Judy Y Stunt Coordinator

Very funny, Phil! (My dog runs from the room whenever I start a movie- or, rather, whenever the DOLBY DIGITAL or DTS trailer rumbles.)

I appreciate your opinions. I know my Adcom is not, by any means, high end, but I did not want to get something too far down the ladder from it and be unhappy. I am GUESSING, (have to, no one has my main pick set up for me to hear it), with all the improvements made recently, that I would be content with the receivers I mentioned. (But I do worry about being dissatisfied with the extra outlay of cash).

8. Eujin

Eujin Supporting Actor

Judy, you can do what I did and get 2 A/V switchboxes from RadioShack. These are the simple A/B boxes that switch between 2 sets of A/V connections. Simply hookup the your two players to these boxes and you're set. The only downside is that you have to physically press the A/B buttons to switch between your 2 players. Total cost is about $30 and there is little to no audible loss of audio quality. Let me know if you need more hook-up instructions.

9. Judy Y

Judy Y Stunt Coordinator

Interesting suggestion. I never thought of doing that- I just assumed that there was nothing with enough rca inputs/outputs- but, putting two together never occurred to me. Thanks!

10. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    I would definitely take a took at Rotel. There are always new features thak come into play over time. Adcom can be decent, but a store where I used to shop a while back told me they stopped carrying the line due to the fact they are contracted out and made in several countries and sometimes they sound good and sometimes they don't. You also may want to look at Outlaw Audio which is a forum sponsor.