What's new

RCA HDV5000 $476.99 shipped from CircuitCity.com + 12 months 0% w/CC card! (In stock) (1 Viewer)

Pete T C

Second Unit
FYI

click here:
10% off $199+
http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/gener...keycode=233953

search for RCA HDV5000, get free shipping, and there ya go! :)

P.S. -- If you use a Circuit City card you also get 12 months 0% financing on top of the above. (It is not required however for the above discount)

P.S. #2 -- In case you aren't following things, the RCA HDV5000 is the same thing as the Toshiba HD-A1 except its color scheme is slightly different and it has a better remote.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I hear some Walmarts are closing out their players at $400. Seems a $500 HD DVD player did not sell very well at Walmart.

- Steve

Pete T C

Second Unit

No prob! It's a pretty sweet deal but it looks like it will only last til 4/28. I actually wanted the RCA over the Toshiba for the superior remote. I might be nuts but I always like using the original remote as I can never find a universal that works as well.

Anyway, mine is ordered up too and I should get it next week!

FrancisP

Screenwriter
They just started selling them at my local Walmart. I very much doubt that they would be giving up on it already. It fits into their strategy of getting more upscale shoppers. I doubt that they are selling many of their LCDs or plasma tvs either but I don't see Walmart abandoning them.

Travis Hedger

Supporting Actor

How can Walmart sell them if they never stock them?

At least here in Oklahoma, I have yet to see ANY HD DVD, players or titles, at all.

Steve Blair

Second Unit
Congrats Ron :) Figured you'd come around. I love my toshiba and have used it since launch day. Let us know how you like it and make sure to check the current firmware on it.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill

Yeah, I think this report of the $400 player was isolated to one store in Atlanta.

- Steve

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill

Ditto on the firmware. V1.2 or better is required to alleviate playback bugs.

- Steve

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Well, I didn't buy one yet....

A HUGE ordeal with Circuit City yesterday over my order.

I used the coupon and completed my order and then decided
that I wanted next day shipping instead of waiting 2 weeks.

Well, there is no way to modify the order once placed. You can
only CANCEL. So, I canceled the order and attempted to reorder
with the next day shipping option.

The problem? Circuit City will not honor the 10% coupon on
any second attempt. They say it can only be used ONCE, despite
the fact all I was trying to do was cancel in order to reorder.

I spent a good 45 minutes on the phone with them complaining.
They refused to give me the 10%. After I wrote a nasty email
to Customer Service stating I would never shop CC again, they
wrote back and told me they would send me a $50 gift card for
my troubles.

I'll never buy from CC again.

So, no, I don't have a player. However, I am going to most
likely buy the Toshiba from TV AUTHORITY, one of our sponsors,
on Monday.

....and forget about Blu-Ray. The hell if I am going to spend
another $1000 for a player when the Toshiba is half the cost.
In my opinion, Blu-Ray really botched up their launch with this
pricing and the fact that some of their titles aren't all that they
should be.

I'll wait till Blu-Ray comes down in price.

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
Ron,

Sorry to hear about your CC debacle. But don't let it dissuade you from buying either the RCA or Toshiba player ASAP.

It was your tip back in '97 (back in the Delphi days) about fantastic "eye candy" DVD picture quality, not to mention the "secret" switches on the Sony 7000 DVD player that pushed me over the edge and prompted my first DVD player purchase. As you know, many members at the time were against DVD, as it appeared to threaten our "perfect" world of Laserdisc. So perhaps I can now do you the same favor by helping to push you over the edge on HD-DVD.

Like you, I was going to resist getting into 1st generation HD-DVD too, but RAH's continuously positive reviews pushed me over the edge, and when I was in my local Best Buy a few weeks ago, and saw that they had one Toshiba HDA1 sitting on the shelf, I suddenly became (as RAH so aptly put it) "fearless".

I only have a 4 year old Sony CRT based, 16x9 57" RPTV with only component inputs, but let me assure you that I am currently enjoying the BEST HD pictures and sound (and I have HD cable to compare it to) that I have ever seen in my life!

Immediately after I bought it, I upgraded the firmware to ver. 1.2 and have yet to experience any hang ups, or glitches, even with over a half dozen Netflix HD-DVD rentals. And the upconversion quality of my SD DVD's alone is worth the price of this player!

Even though the RCA/Toshiba 1st gen. HD-DVD players do not have all the bells and whistles that I'm sure the next gen. will have, I don't see how you can go wrong buying one now and enjoying the heck out of it.

Reed :)

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I love my Toshiba A1, I've had it for over 2 months now, an excellent player. I had no bugs with it either but did the firmware upgrade anyway. The upscaling of 480p material is fantastic and the HD-DVDs are off the charts, the PQ is awesome.

Like you Ron, I am avoiding BD, way to expensive and from what I am reading the HD PQ is no better then upscaled 480p material. Twice the price for average PQ, no thanks.

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Ron,

Also sorry to hear about your ordeal w/ CC and the 10% off coupon.

BUt glad to hear that you'll be getting the player from TV AUTHORITY!

I was only kidding with my BluRay remark...in fact, I returned mine last night to my local Best Buy. What a letdown that thing was...in all honesty, I don't think it (Samsung Bluray player) is worth $100 - and NO WAY was it worth $1000!!!

I'm also being honest when I say that I believe the HD DVD player I own (RCA) to be worth alot more than what I paid ($450'ish), maybe not $1k...but it's by far the best thing I've added to my Home Theater, ever.

I have added a lot of stuff to my setup because of this forum :)

Pronto remote (2 different versions)
Panasonic RP-91
Numerous RPTV displays (one calibrated by Gregg Loewen)

I'm now on a Panny PJ w/ 106" screen...and can't get enough HD DVD titles!

Travis Hedger

Supporting Actor

Silly Ron, you lifted your boycott from CC after the Divx fiasco? :D I guess it is back on again.

Sometimes I stop in to check the selection of TVs but I havent puchased anything from them since the days of Divx closeouts and them dumping their inventory for 99 cents per movie.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Ron,

There is a combination of cookie deletions that will allow you to reset your browser to where it should accept the current coupon.

After returning my dead Blu-Ray player today, I considered doing this in order to take advantage of the 10 percent discount, in-store delivery (no shipping charge!), and get a $100 gift card. If you buy the player in-store, you get four free BD discs, but no 10 percent discount.

But even at $900 and tax, this low-end Samsung player with a bad build quality is just not worth it.

With the latest firmware, I've been happy, happy, happy with the Toshiba HD-A1, especially since the current HD DVD releases all allow 1080i via component connections. The only thing the player lacks, which other less stringent manufacturers provide, is regular DVD upscaling to 1080i via component connections. The PQ from this player looks great, and upscaling is a distinct benefit, but they keep to the spec and only allow it for DVD via HDMI.

The good news is that it is possible to reauthor discs you own... although that can be time-consuming.

Anyway, I hope you have a better experience with TV Authority, and enjoy your player!!!

- Steve

Doug Schiller

Supporting Actor
OK, I go to the link (Ron's link).
It shows 10% off, which will be reflected at checkout.
I search for the RCA, add to my cart and get all the way to "Review Order" and no where do I see the 10% discount.
Am I doing something wrong?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks