RCA F38310 not finding OTA channels

Discussion in 'Displays' started by BrianBbb, Oct 5, 2005.

1. BrianBbb

BrianBbb Agent

For some reason when I hook up an antennae to the Ant. A or Ant. B input and do a search it finds no channels. Even if I enter a channel that I know works it still says "weak signal" and displays nothing. I've hooked my the same antennae source to another TV and it displays channels. I've also tried hooking the cable box output to it and it's still not finding any channels. I've been completely through the owners manual and have gone through all of the menus many times with no success. I'm no dummy, I hooked up my Sony 50", Yamaha Receiver, JBL surround, Toshiba DVD/VCR, high-def cable box, etc. on my downstairs TV.

[​IMG]

2. BrianBbb

BrianBbb Agent

ok I hooked up the output of a VCR to the ANT B input, set the TV for Ant B and Cchannel 3, it's not displaying the picture at all and still says weak signal. I disconnected it fro mthe RCA and fed it directly into a 13" TV I've got and it displayed just fine. Do you think my antennae A and B inputs are bad? That seems weird but I'm about out of things to try. There's not that much to it.

Is there a way to default this TV?

3. John S

John S Producer

I see the display has both NTSC (TV) and ATSC (HDTV) tuners, are you sure the NTSC is set to be the one to use on default or something like that?

I think it is a setup issue dealing with the fact it has both tuners. I have never delt with that particular display though.

I take it the display works through it's normal inputs just fine though correct?

4. BrianBbb

BrianBbb Agent

The display works fine using the video composite, component and S video inputs. The ones that don't seem to be working are the two RF inputs Ant A and Ant B. The TV has a full search function that I've run a bunch of times and it keeps coming up with zero channels added. I also should just be able to input a channel (one that I know that works) and I just get "weak signal". I've done a little looking on the web and I'm thinking that a component may be bad. I'm goinf to see if I can find an 800 number for RCA and call them.

Thanks for the response.[​IMG]

5. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Brian, have you always had this problem? That particular RCA has had more than its share of reliability issues.

6. BrianBbb

BrianBbb Agent

Hi Jack,
    This is the first time that I've attempted to use those inputs, though I know my neighbor used the DirecTV input which is just above the antennae inputs.I bought this TV from my neighbor almost a year ago. He was moving cross country and sold it to me for $400 (with the stand). I couldn't pass it up. I have read about the issues people have had with this set and I'm kind of thinking that those inputs are quite likely bad. I'm going to call the RCA shop and talk to them but I doubt that I'll put any money into this set. There is another problem that has existed since before I got it and that's two, small half circle shaped areas at the top on the left and right. During normal viewing it's not noticable however at time, for instance when the entire picture is red, the discoloaration is quite noticable and shows up as blue. As I said, it was only $400 and it REALLY does have a good picture. Hish def looks amazing, DVDs look very good and analog and VCR signals look quite good too.

7. Gary Brudner

Gary Brudner Auditioning

On mine, my terrestial ant is on A and cable is on B.

I had some issue's with A, but they seemed to have resolved themselves.

You're right as the picture is amazing. I've had mine 2 1/2 years now. I purchased it as an open box demo with a full 2 year and extended 3 year warranty. For $700, I couldn't beat it.

Gary

8. BrianBbb

BrianBbb Agent

Did you have to do anything special? Just hook the antennae or cable to the input, set the signal source to antenae A or B and signal type to cable or air and do a full scan right?

9. Gary Brudner

Gary Brudner Auditioning

My appologies as I had it backwards. Cable is on A and the antenna is on B. Nothing special as just running the search function.
    Do you have the manual for it? If not, search the rca web site with the model number and you can download it as a pdf file.

Gary