What's new

RCA DTC100 vs Samsung SIRT150 (1 Viewer)

Peter Conn

Auditioning
I have just begun the mind boggling task off assembling all the bits for my HDTV system. It started when I wondered into BestBuy and got an open box Tosh 50H81 down to $1599, now I am the proud owner of what I think is a fare HDTV, a Kenwood 509, Toshiba DVD sv3750, a pair of Infinity Rs2 speakers, a Sony SA-WM40 sub, 1 pair JBL N24's and a JBL NCenter all thanks to this wonderful forum. After many hours of reading this is my first post and I would like to thank all who take the trouble to ask and answer, a job well done.
Well here's my question I stumbled on a RCA DTC100 in the local Circuit city (open box) for $279, I figure this is a great buy, but I was going to hunt me down a Samsung SIR-T150, what would you recommend, currently I do not have satellite. I have managed to pick up PBS HD OTA amazing.
:)

Tim Flavin

Auditioning
Real Name
Tim Flavin
I own the SIR-150, and love it, but I think you are compairing apples and oranges. The Samsung is OTA only where tha RCA also adds sat to the mix. If you are a sports fan, the RCA is the clear choice because of HDNet on DirectTV.

Peter Conn

Auditioning
Thanks Tim you make a valid point, but if I put the decision for Satellite out of the picture, how would you rate the OTA of these two units against each other as they both have this ability in common?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Doesn't the RCA only have an RGB video interface? If so, you will also need to purchase an RGB to component video converter at around $100 to connect the box to your Toshiba TV.

I own the Samsung SIR-T150, and have been quite happy with the unit. I only needed OTA support, so it was a good solution at its price point. Samsung has been offering a $100 rebate, so you can get it for around a $420 final cost online.

Gary_E

Second Unit
Peter,

I too have the SAMSUNG T-150. I have a C-band dish(BUD)so the DSS capability wasn't a factor for me. I bought the unit from Wal-Mart on line in October for $599.00. I received the $100.00 rebate check back on December 31st.

I don't believe Wal-Mart has it on-line any longer.

I like the unit very much. The digital signals look much better than their analog counterparts. HD into my TOSHIBA 40H80 is stunning, PBS in particular. The tuner is very strong and locks onto the channels even at -50% signal.

The scanning features take along time to execute but with only 5 stations here in digital, I simply program them in manually.

Hope this helps.

-Gary

Peter Conn

Auditioning
Open box rules the day, went to the same Bestbuy that I found the 50H81 Tosh for $1599, and blow me they had one SIR-T150 open box going for $549, asked for their best offer and got it for $519 (rebate to come $419), hooked it up and bingo. Great component video, real easy to use compared to the DTC100. I feel fortunate, when I checked Bestbuy's web site and searched for the Samsung it came up with nothing, so I was real surprised to find one there...
Thanks Guys :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks