RCA-DTC100 Off Air (antenna) HD?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bill Cowmeadow, Sep 30, 2001.

1. Bill Cowmeadow

Bill Cowmeadow Second Unit

Will the RCA-dtc100 unit give me HDTV from an antenna, or must the unit be used with a Digital Dish? The Best Buy clerk could not answer the question. Also, if it does decode from off air local sources, is output blank when the source material is analog only.
    I hope this question made some sense. I can get one of these for about $250.00
    Thanks in advance for your answers.
    Bill
    PS, I would be using the unit with a Barco 801 FP.

2. TerryBlauser

TerryBlauser Auditioning

The DTC-100 will do HD OTA and it will up convert analog. I've loaned my unit to a buddy who can't get HD cable yet and I've shut down my DirectTV so it was available for him.
    As with all units that I know of, if you set the switch to enable the RGBHV output, you turn off the S-video and componant outputs and vice versa.
    Good luck

3. errol

errol Stunt Coordinator

Hi Bill,
    Yes, it is either or. When the Svid is active, the HD out is disabled and vice versa.
    You don't need it to be connected to a dish like Dish for it to work.
    For $250, that is a good buy. Must be an open box sale. I take it that it doesn't have card? If not, you simply call DirecTV. They'll send you a card for about $40.
    Thanks,
    Errol
    ------------------
    Keohi HDTV
    Your Friendly HDTV Tips Site

4. Bill Cowmeadow

Bill Cowmeadow Second Unit

Thanks for the quick replies.
    Open Box is correct. No remote or manual.
    I downloaded the manual today, remote is $20.00
    I will pick this unit up tonight.

5. RoyGBiv

RoyGBiv Stunt Coordinator

Bill:
    I would caution you about one thing regarding the DTC not hooked up to a satellite dish. The DTC does not come with the latest "firmware" installed. The firmware updates come from the satellite and if your DTC is not connected to a satellite (at the 101 position) the firmware will not be updated. The latest firware is version 5 something which was released last month. The DTC seems to ship with version 4.0b which lacks some of the important features of later updates. The most important features are ability to change the retrace timing based on how your DTC is connected to the TV, and the ability to use the remote to switch from HD to SD outputs (no current STB will output both at the samem time). The last is the ability to switch from antenna to satellite input using one key on the remote, but since you don't have a satellite, this won't be important.
    If you need to get the firmware update, you can do one of several things. If you have a satellite antenna, just connect the DTC even without a subscription to DirecTV, and it will be downloaded. If a friend has an antenna, keep it connected at the friend's house overnight. Or, if Best Buy will do it, connect it to their antenna.
    SMK

6. TerryBlauser

TerryBlauser Auditioning

I don't believe you need a card to run OTA. I think it is required only to subscribe to DirectTV services. Also, don't try to get updates just because your software isn't 5.??. They are having a lot of problems with botched downloads which fry the mind of the DTC.
    Just try running with what you have and keep us posted.

7. errol

errol Stunt Coordinator

Hi ya folks,
    I've been using my DTC for nearly two years now for OTA only. I do have V4.037b from a download a while back. I haven't reconnected the unit to the dish yet due to lack of info on the latest firmware and initial reports of DTC problems resulting from the latest download.
    Thanks,
    Errol
    ------------------
    Keohi HDTV
    Your Friendly HDTV Tips Site

8. Jason Pugh

Jason Pugh Agent

I too have been using my DTC almost only for OTA but the latest news from Direct TV concerning channel 199 being HDNET now has made me HAPPY as ever to be a subscriber. All you need is the basic package to get it and they are now starting a TON of full length HDTV programs and SPORTS!!
    I'm a hockey fan and saw that they will be having about 2 games a week in full 1080i !! I'm suddenly excited about my Direct TV service again.
    I don't know if this matters to anyone else but it did to me since I didn't need to spend $60 on some HBO package for ONE HDTV channel.