RCA DLP v. Samsung DLP

Discussion in 'Displays' started by John_Griff, Jan 7, 2004.

1. John_Griff

John_Griff Stunt Coordinator

Has anyone seen these two sets next to each other. heck, I can't find the RCA DLP anywhere in my area. Any thoughts or comments on these two sets in comparision to one another?

2. HC Glick

HC Glick Auditioning

I can't give you any input them in a side by side comparison, but I can tell you that the RCA screen appears to have much more glare than the Samsung. Several of my friends in the market for a DLP TV have commented on this as well.

3. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

I saw the 60" RCA next to the 50" Samsung at best buy tonight. It's hard to make comparisons between two of such different sizes, but the Samsung looked clearer and crisper. The RCA looked very good still.

The RCA's DLP engine was developed by Infocus so it may be slightly superior, but a design flaw in the input architecture really hurts it. They recycled most of the electronics from their other RPTVs that don't accept 720p. This is a major flaw considering it's a 720p native fixed pixel device. You couldn't use a player like the Samsung 931 or Bravo D1 to have a purely digital native resolution source, you would have to use 480p or 1080i and let the TV convert it back to 720p (probably w/ a D-to-A conversion somewhere along the line, but i'm not sure).

When the RCA DLP models were first introduced I was extremely interested because I was happy with the results of my low end RCA D52W20, but the fact that the prices aren't THAT much lower and the 720p design flaw kinda sour me on them. I do like the built in internet browser and HD tuner, even if it is terestrial only.