RCA customer service at its finest

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Grant H, Jan 20, 2003.

1. Grant H

Grant H Cinematographer

Just thought you might get a good laugh at the long-awaited reply to my email to RCA's Customer Service department regarding my TV:

Dear Customer:

QUESTION: I have an F38310. There is some kind of dirt or
    residue on the screen. I have cleaned it several times, but it remains. Is there some kind of protective coating on the screen that will eventually come off? If so, what should I use? If the dirt is on the inside, how inolved is the cleaning process to fix this? Also, the full mode over-strectehces vertically. Is there an electronic fix availalbe for this feature? (i.e. replacement chip.)

Sincerely,
    Stephanie

This response is being provided by Thomson Inc., the
    manufacturer of RCA consumer electronics products.

Okay?.... That was my question, spit back at me by a PERSON named Stephanie. It wasn't the automated response I got when I first sent the question either, but the actual reply apparently. Anyone else scratching their heads?
    [​IMG]

2. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

Hmmm not really surprised, but I must say I hope your star wars prediction comes true [​IMG]

3. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Had an RCA TV a few years ago. Quit working about 15 months after I got it. Out of warranty, so I called up a local TV repair shop. Told him what the problem was, and what kind of TV it was, and asked how much it would cost to have the set looked at.

He said, I already know what's wrong with it. I said how? He said he had 4 others in his shop for the same problem. Blown EEPROM chip. Gee, now how is that my fault? So I pestered RCA to be reimbursed. They did, but only the $70 for the chip, and not the $40 labor the shop charged. Thanks RCA, but that'll be the last set from you I buy...

4. Grant H

Grant H Cinematographer

Well, I'd read about RCA Service (or lack thereof) before I bought. That's why I got the 60-month-service plan from Circuit City. I'll probably be calling them soon to see if there's anyway they can clean the inside of the screen for me.

5. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Grant- Funny one, because of my experience with the RCA, I paid $50 extra for a 3 yr service contract on the Panasonic I got after. Never needed it...