RCA & Comp. Video Cables

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by JoshuaT, Oct 6, 2003.

1. JoshuaT

JoshuaT Stunt Coordinator

After reading all of the posts that I found from the search page, I still ahve some questions.

What has everyone had good success with as far as custom cables. I am a fair hand at soldering, so I would prefer not to crimp, unless that would be better. I want to make about 30+ sets of 1m RCA's. I also want to be able to make long sub cable and comp video cables. Colored wiring with techflex jacketing over the cable. (for a nice look)

any help is appreciated!

~josh

2. Chris White

Chris White Second Unit

I've had good luck making my own cables with Canare coax and connectors. The advantage of crimping is that it doesn't require any skill. You get a perfect connection every time. Here's a "how to" page:

DIY Cable

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Joshua,

If you can solder, and already have the equipment (primarily a 35w iron with a pointed tip), then it’s definitely cheaper to make cables with soldered connections. I recommend these Dayton Super RCA’s from Parts Express:

[​IMG]

These are by far the most substantial RCA’s I’ve ever seen. They’re available in red, black and yellow (you could use colored tape or heat shrink to mark them if you’re planning to make component video cables). They’re easy to solder, accept large-diameter cable (even as large as RG-6), have a screw-down cable clamp.

On the PE main page, enter “super rca” in the search engine.

Alternately, you might check this site for info on how to make some DIY cables with no soldering or crimping. I used to make custom cabling all the time as a pro audio installer, and these look very impressive and substantial to me.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

4. JoshuaT

Ooooh, I really like those cables guys! Can I get the parts that I need from anyone but MCM? They are out of stock on the cable!

~josh

5. JoshuaT

If I was going to solder, what cable should I use? RCA or mic cable from PE? Is there anything better?