RCA cables uncovered-tip/ring

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by Jay H, Dec 29, 2003.

1. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    I am almost sure of myself from doing some Google searches but I want to make sure I do the wiring correctly.
    I need to make speaker level outputs from a car head unit to an amplifier which only has RCAs (but accepts HL input). I need to make sure that the tip on an RCA connector is considered the signal (+) and the ring is considered the ground or (-), because I want to hack apart a female to female RCA connector to interface a standard male-male RCA connector for use with my stock head unit and aftermarket amp without spending a fortune in buying a premade one.

Thanks
    Jay

2. Tom Rosback

Tom Rosback Stunt Coordinator

Correct. RCA tip is +. One thing you have to be careful of, is that the (-) speaker output may not be connected to ground. Many car head units, especially the higher powered units, use bridge amplifier circuits where the (-) speaker output is not at ground.

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne

Delete

4. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Thanks, my head unit is bone stock in my Toyota MR2 and is made by Matshushita (Panasonic, amoung others) so it doesn't have line outs. I want to use these connectors because when I do replace the head unit with an aftermarket one, the wiring would be easy as all I would have to do is throw out my adaptor and hook the RCA patch cables to the head unit.

Jay