RCA cables for Amp to Reciever: Expensive or cheap one??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin. W, Sep 1, 2001.

1. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

2. Selden Ball

Selden Ball Second Unit

Selden
    Kevin,
    The topic of interconnection cables usually results in a contentious discussion, with neither side convincing the other. Your ears will have to be your guide. Personally, I can't hear any difference between cheap generic cables and moderately priced "boutique" cables.
    That said, most of my pre/pro to amp connections use AudoQuest Sidewinders (the bottom of their line). The use of gold contacts and their solid construction suggests that they should work longer without corrosion or mechanical problems.
    I hope this helps a little.
    [Edited last by Selden Ball on September 02, 2001 at 03:28 PM]

3. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

of course that audio store wouldn't carry anything that would do the job just as well and leave the money in your pocket instead of putting it in theirs, would they?
    i'm sure the less expensive one will do fine and you can even save yourself a bit more money and check out radio shack, target, or even online at http://www.partsexpress.com

4. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I have used Radio Shack cables for years. I use the heavier duty ones, shielded of course, with the gold jacks. Could never tell a difference between those and the Monsters that I tried.
    ------------------

5. Scott H

Scott H Supporting Actor

Not to open the flood gates, but I was thinking about this while driving around earlier, and this thread has moved me to mention it... I wonder how many folks who don't think various interconnects make any relevant difference have utilized passive line controllers (as 'pre-amps') in separates system?
    My two-channel music system is analog connections from NAD 512 CD into Creek OBH-10 Passive 'Pre-Amp' into Acurus A250 amp. Radio Shack interconnects? Not happening.
    ------------------
    My DVD Library
    Runaway production? No thanks. Where I've filmed, benefiting local economies: AL, CA, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, MN, MO, MT, NV, OH, OR, TX, WA, WY.

6. Bob Marker

Bob Marker Stunt Coordinator

For what its worth, my experience has been similar to some of the other folks who have responded to your question in that I have tried various expensive "high end" intereconnects and speakers cables and have not been able to detect any sonic advantages over the inexpensive cables one can purchase at Radio Shack, Best Buy, etc.
    Bob

7. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Well I guess I'll be the lone guy to say that I've heard differences between different cables in blind testing. Just remember that there's a huge markup on most accessories at AV stores so those "exensive" cables may or may not be made any better then some lesser priced ones else where. How much you pay for cables depends a lot on what type of gear you have and your attitude towards that gear. I don't think there's anyone thats going to tell you that the differeces in interconnects is greater then the differences between new speakers etc so if you're not very happy with the sound you're getting now I'd look at changing something else. IMO you upgrade gear to get different/better sound...you change cables to tweak that sound.
    ------------------
    http://www.attcanada.ca/~itisi

8. Elbert Lee

Elbert Lee Supporting Actor

I suggest getting the best ones that you can afford. read up on the ones that most people seem to like for its price, and if they are also within your spending ceiling, go for it and don't look back. In reality, you'll never know if the cheap ones that you purchased is the best you can do and you'll hear endless testaments about those $1000 interconnects that will make a tremendous difference. for most HT enthusiasts with $2000-$8000 preamp/amp combos, I would suggest getting the "bang for the buck" high end cables. Yes, you'll hear debates about cables, but at least, if you get a set that you're satisfied with, you won't have to change them out for a long time.
    Elbert

9. Scott H

Scott H Supporting Actor

No Andrew, I was definitely saying that. You are far from alone. Regarding analog signals, I would never state that more expensive cables sound better than less expensive ones, but that cables do make an audible difference. If they didn't, I would think that even the folks who recommend Home Depot speaker wire wouldn't quantify their recommendations with a particular gauge of that cable that is acceptable.
    In my example/thought that I shared earlier, I was citing a more unique configuration that is generally accepted as being especially revealing of and dependent on interconnect. Screw blind tests, in such a setup interconnect cables can even effect the volume through impedence. And definitely effect dynamics.
    ------------------
    My DVD Library
    Runaway production? No thanks. Where I've filmed, benefiting local economies: AL, CA, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, MN, MO, MT, NV, OH, OR, TX, WA, WY.