Rca 52w20 vs. toshiba 46h83

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Derek G, Oct 17, 2003.

1. Derek G

Derek G Auditioning

Hello,
    I am in the market for a HDTV. I was specifically looking at these 2 models and wanted any input anyone might have. I will be using this for about 50% movies 50% tv. I previously had the pleasure of owning a toshiba 42h82. I was extremely impressed (for the price) with the stretch mode. So, I am kinda leaning towards the toshiba at this point. But, the toshiba was WAY too small and I need the screen "real estate". So,I guess, please comment on what you would buy and why. Your input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

I have the D52W20 and really enjoy it. For the price it can be found (under $1400 at HH Gregg right now) it's hard to beat. There's also a newer model D52W15 that best buy carries regular price for $1299, but it doesn't have the screen protector. When my local HH Gregg had their grand opening they had the D52W20 for $1299, so I got Sears to price match that and I was able to use 2 other 10% off coupons I had to get the price down to $1075 after tax.

In my in home comparison it had a better picture than my previous 47" Panasonic Widescreen HDTV, both adjusted using S&V. I'm not sure how much the size difference affected my judgement, but the RCA seemed clearer on Prog Scan DVD w/ less video noise. The cabinet is not as solid, being completely plastic, but that's the trend in these lower cost RPTVs.

My only big complaint w/ the D52W20 is there is no manual convergance setting without entering the service menu, but the automatic convergance does do a good enough job. If I weren't moving from skewl to home and back to skewl so much I'd get mine ISF calibrated and never worry about it again, but i think it would be a waste as often as the set gets moved.

Right now the only replacements for my D52W20 I would consider would be a Phillips LCOS or Samsung DLP, but the prices just aren't down where I can afford it comfortably right now. I think you would be very happy w/ it, especially if you want the most screen for the money without a hit in PQ.