RCA 38" HDTV direct view?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MTrotter, Mar 12, 2001.

1. MTrotter

MTrotter Stunt Coordinator

Marc
    What's the latest on this set? I saw it when first released, and the image was fantastic, but I know it was recalled and then later re-released, although I haven't seen much of it since then. What was the problem, and did they fix it right? Anybody have this set? I kind of like the fact that it is 4" larger than the Toshiba/Panasonic.

2. Timmy

Timmy Stunt Coordinator

3. Chris Johnson

Chris Johnson Auditioning

4. MTrotter

Marc
    I thought I read on a post on this forum that it was to be re-released.

5. MichaelR

MichaelR Auditioning

YES! It is in Best Buy's ad today for $2,999 out here in LA ($800 price drop) DID THEY FIX IT!?!?!

6. Carol Curtis

Carol Curtis Stunt Coordinator

Check www.audioreview.com Thought I saw something where someone had returned their set & got a new one with the fix & they were saying that the "fix" took away a lot of the picture detail that the old set had & that's why RCA had droped the price of the set?

7. Gerald_Ex

Gerald_Ex Auditioning

I just received my new F38310, and although I have no way of truly comparing the new ones to the post recall ones, I can say that the detail with Hi-Def material is simple spectacular. I have showed it to several people and they are amazed.

8. MTrotter

Marc
    Well, not much Hi-def programming in East Texas. But I was more interested in it for DVD. I have to see if my BB down the street has it.

9. David_D

David_D Stunt Coordinator

I drooled over one on Saturday. I thought it look great on the high definition demo loop. I watched a bit of an anamorphic DVD. This looked pretty nice too (on a Denon 2800), but there was a bit of tilt.

10. MTrotter

Marc
    Does this set have a built-in line doubler? If so, how good is it? Some line-doublers make cable signals almost unwatchable to me.

11. Pete K

Pete K Agent

Here in Central Texas Best Buy is not carrying it--at least not in Killeen or Waco--what's more they refuse to order it.
    They state small markets will not be getting that TV.
    What kind of nonsense is that? HDTV is having a hard time in all avenues of deployment it would seem.
    I tried BestBuy.Com and they have it listed as not available for store pick up and not available for delivery to your area.
    Hopefully next time I'm in Austin I'll at least get to check one out--if I like guess I'll have to order from
    ABT.COM out of Chicago--any one deal with them?

12. Gerald_Ex

Gerald_Ex Auditioning

Hi MTrotter,
    Yes, the F38310 does have an internal line doubler. I think it pretty good, and it is used on all non-HD sources. Depending on the source, the image is quite good to good. Standard VHS suffers a bit, but its still not too bad, and definitely usable.
    There are probably some line doublers that are better, but as an integrated HDTV with everything built-in, I think its a good system.
    Gerry_Ex

13. LDfan

LDfan Supporting Actor

This monster weighs a lot though. Approx 300lbs !! I work for best buy p/t. Last I checked with my discount it will cost 2100 something so you should be able to hunt around the internet for some good deals on these.
    Jeff

14. ChristopherK

ChristopherK Auditioning

The actual weight of the set per RCA, which likely doesn't include packaging, is 218 lbs.
    I've been looking into the F38310 for the last two weeks, and as evidenced even here in this thread, there is a lot of confusion regarding the quality of the new sets after the recall. Aside from the one review on audioreview.com, I have found no other reference to a drop in performance of the picture in the re-issued sets. The reviews of the new sets I've read have actually been very positive.
    As for the price, it now retails for only (!) $2999, so don't be taken by anyone charging more than $3000. It appears many retailers and definitely a few individuals on Ebay are looking to take advantage of consumers' lack of knowledge on pricing of the F38310. A good price for this set should likely be less than $2800-$2900 delivered.
    CK

15. MickeS

MickeS Producer

16. ChristopherK

ChristopherK Auditioning

Mike,
    One big difference, I believe, is that the ProScan sets are not being re-issued. It is my understanding that both sets suffered from the initial color purity and blackout problems, and were recalled. only the RCA sets have been brought back to market.
    The color purity issue was described as being "minor", and only really noticeable to "videophiles" (who else pays $3500+ for a television?). The blackouts were said to be fixed through a software update via a DirecTV satellite feed.
    I'm relaying all of this second-hand, so if anyone has additional or more accurate information, please jump in.
    CK

17. Carol Curtis

Carol Curtis Stunt Coordinator

I thought I read somewhere that RCA was going to phase out the "PROSCAN" name? S&V mag. had a buyer's guide for 2000 of dvd players & there were some Proscan models listed, which never did come out, so maybe it's true?

18. george king

george king Supporting Actor

I was running errands this morning, and stopped by the local Best Buy in Ft. Worth to look at the set. One good thing about BB is that you can play with the sets and they don't get twitchy.
    After adjusting the set a bit (Warm color temp, out of torch mode, turned off SVM, reduced sharpness, tweaked black level - by the way the menu system is pretty easy to navigate, if a bit cumbersome), I watched the set.
    I have to say, it was rather impressive. Good colors, and excellent geometry from corner to corner, etc. There was no tilt in this set. It looked better than the Toshiba 40" 16:9 set (and appeared larger, but this may have been due to the cabinet).
    The picture was a bit soft, but I do not know if that is the doubler, or how they had the set connected. All they had was the Antenna B, with a signal being distributed to about 100 TVs. Thus the softness could have been due to the degraded signal.
    I saw only two minor problems. The manual controls are on the top of the TV (nice touch IMO), but they are smack in the center of the TV. Thus it might be a bit difficult to put a large center speaker on top.
    Secondly, to switch video inputs, one has to go a couple of layers deep into the menu system (at least using the manual controls, they did not have a remote with the TV). This could be a bit of a pain if the remote does not have direct access to switching inputs.
    All in all, I would say that this set is a real winner, and great bargin, especially considering the built in HD/DirectTV tuner.

19. MickeS

MickeS Producer

I went home and read the review of the Proscan in SGTH.
    The reviewer pretty much said what George King pointed out in his message: the image has very good geometry, the picture is a little bit soft, and the menu systems leave a lot to be desired. He also pointed out that the fan noise from the built in DirectTV/HD tuner is rather loud, even when the set is turned off, and that buyers should make sure that they are not disturbed by this.
    Other than that, he liked it.
    Seems to me like the RCA would be a better buy, though.
    /Mike

20. george king

george king Supporting Actor

Mike,
    You commented about the fan. When I was in Best Buy (and it was fairly empty at 10:30 am, so there was not a lot of noise), I did not hear any fan noise, even when I poked my head behind the set to see how BB had it hooked up.
    Maybe RCA fixed that problem, but I really did not notice it.