What's new

RCA 38" 16x9 Tube (1 Viewer)

Ken Ingram

Stunt Coordinator
Im out looking For HD sets this weekend,What are your thoughts on the RCA 38310 and other 16x9 tube and RP sets.
I know there were Quality Issues for the Rca 3800 and it was pulled from shelves for a few months and it was rereleased as the 38310. My question is : Have the problems been solved?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Thomson Consumer Electronics may claim the problems are solved, but I wouldn't trust them. It may seem exciting now, getting ready to purchase an HD-capable display. But once a major failure occurs, and odds are that one will, you won't be so happy.

There are so many other fine displays from which to choose. Why not look at the 16:9 direct-view sets from Sony and Toshiba? Them's you can trust!

Ken Ingram

Stunt Coordinator
The main Reason Im leaning toward the RCA is price:
$1599 with built in HD Reciever.Other models are about twice this price when you add on the HD Reciever.

John-Miles

Screenwriter
Ken maybe you should think about what you just said....... why would it be half the price?

I was slightly concerned with that aspect when i got my toshiba, as it was 1000 less than the comparable sony, but Toshiba has a really good name. RCA however does not. Id say its cheaper cause they cut corners.

Ken Ingram

Stunt Coordinator
Guy where did you see the 38310 for $1000 and do they have a web site. For that price I'll put it the the bedroom and get a mits 65 for my home theater.

thanks

Jim FC

Stunt Coordinator
You get what you pay for. If this TV was as good as the others you can bet RCA would be charging as much as the others for it. RCA is desperately trying to dump their inventory of this turd. I'd avoid this TV like the plague unless they were literally giving 'em away.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
For what it's worth, a local retailer near me reports a hundred-percent failure rate with this set. Every unit they've sold has been returned for service. The milquetoast power supply is not up to its task.

Seriously, if you want reliability and good performance, then you don't want to purchase anything manufactured by Thomson.

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor
Ken,
Jim is right in what he is saying. I have been down the RCA road with a 36MM100 and believe me you don't want to go there. I have seen wonderful pictures on this TV but I don't know 1 person who has not had trouble with these RCA HD sets.
I want to say it was Circuit city in Macon GA who had the TV. I have a friend in GA (I live in Dallas) who has recently been shopping for a bedroom TV. This guy has more money than sense and he turned the deal down, he has seen this TV for less than 900 dollars.
I don't want it if it was free. Two weeks ago I bought a Mits 48311, paid enough to buy 2 of those RCAs. If I had one in my house I don't think I could sleep at night.
My recurring nightmare is dreaming that I have a HT system consisting of that RCA and audio by BOSE. If that doesn't make you wake up in a cold sweat then make an appointment with your Doctor as you need counseling bad.

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
$1599 with built in HD Reciever.Other models are about twice this price when you add on the HD Reciever.
I bought an RCA TV in the early 90s (before the Thomspson takeover, I guess), and it worked perfectly until I sold it. It's a shame that this once reputable brand has slid so far downhill.

I have no desire to start a war here or do I really care what the newbie buys, but another view doesn't hurt anyone.

This set has one diode and two capacitors that won't always handle the heat this set generates and when let go leads to board problems. First sign is usually the tuner acting up. These can be replaced with better product.

If buying this product at below 2000(Just under 4000 when introduced in 2000) doesn't warrant spending a bit extra for a good service warranty to protect the owner against service payouts, than probably should look elsewhere. However, that said, the small satellite digital sources, the ota digital sources, and the 1080i image on this set are outstanding regardless of price paid. The tube is the same as used on the German made Loewes at twice the price and yes the Loewes has better circuity which you pay for.

To say everyone who owns this set just isn't true. Some never post and some have run theirs for over a year without a hitch.

It's true if used for the main set with a lot of hardware the set has no outputs but as a second set or just top notch tv only viewing, it really is a value.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H

I have this TV and have heard this complaint below, and this is not true. The fan turns off with the TV. It took a while before my ears could confirm it had a fan running at all. It's whisper-quiet. It may have run 24/7 in the older models, but certainly not on the new ones, or at least not on mine. Haven't yet had any ot the other problems listed in that post either, but I did get the 5 year extended in-home service warranty at Circuit City to be on the safe side since I knew about problems with the originally released models. Paid around $1600 for the set I believe, the last unopened one they had at my store. Got the last stand too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks