What's new

RBH MC-4C and MC-414C (1 Viewer)

GraysonAng

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,

I'm thinking about getting the 4 RBH MC-4C (2 for mains, 2 for rear) and the MC414C (center) to go with my Harman Kardon AVR125 receiver and Hsu Research STF-2 Sub.

Will this sound good?

How will this compare to getting a Polk 6700 5 speaker set or the Fluance SX-HTB set?

Thanks,
Grayson

Debbie_L

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Grayson,

I own the Polk RM6700 system and love it. I think it's a great 5.1 set-up FOR THE PRICE. But.........having also heard the RBH speakers you are considering, I can tell you that the RBH's are in another league, and for more than double the street price of the Polk's, they should be! The Polks do a fine job in a small room like mine, but if you plan to set up your HT in a larger room, the RBH's are a better choice -- more bass output and stronger dialogue from the CC. Better sub blend with the RBH's too. The Polks can play surprisingly loud for their size, but the RBH's will play louder still and cleaner too if you really start pumping them up.

I don't know if you could make a fair comparison with the Fluance system -- I've never heard them myself, but have read here at HTF that they sound good for the money -- again a fraction of the price of the RBH's. Consider too that the Fluance mains are towers with dual 6.5" woofers as opposed to the RBH compact satellites with single 4" mid/bass drivers.

If aesthetics matter to you at all, the RBH's win hands down IMO -- gorgeous speakers!

(If you could buy the RBH's for say, $599.00 used :wink: I'd say you'd be getting a steal of a deal for the same price as a new set of Polks. I sure wish I had found a deal like that a year ago -- go for it!)

GraysonAng

Stunt Coordinator
I can get the Polk RM6700 (without sub) for $375 shipped used. The Fluance SX-HTB is $320 shipped from fluance.com.

Space is not an issue. Would the tower mains of the SX-HTB make that a better choice than the RBH and Polks?

Thanks,
Grayson

donnyB

Auditioning
Hello, Just my .02, I had the RBH system for a couple years before I moved to a new house & opted to try the RBH MCseries inwalls( & the fact that i got a great deal on the inwalls!.
I didn't have the RBH MC8 sub, just used a cheaper Pinnacle sub. Anyway I have to say that if you haven't heard them in person, you may want to try and find a local dealer , (if possible) you will be pleasantly surprised by the Rich clear sound that these speakers produce. Even without a Sub, they produce more base then you would expect from a 4" driver. I havn't heard all the name brand speakers out there, but i havn't heard ANY, Under $1000 that sound better that these.

GraysonAng, i sent you a PM, if your serious about the RBH let me know. Brand new!
Debbie L, if your looking at these...
[email protected]

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member

Hi Grayson

RBH makes very very good speakers...my good friend John Garcia has used them...for somewhat less...the Onix-X Series (which is sold-out until 3/8/07) is a very good alternative...they will be releasing a tower for $319/pair plus shipping...I have an X-Sub on order in White Shadow Maple...please keep in touch with me.

PS I have a pair of HSU VTF-3HOs plus Turbos and I can't begin to use their full capacity.

MikeNg

Second Unit
I think you get what you pay for. The RBH's may be more, but they are very well constructed and sound great.

The HK should have no problem driving the MC4's. I personally like the 6's a lot more, but it is more $ than you'd want to spend right now. If you can afford it though, look into the MC6 series.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member

Hi Mike

I took a look at the MC4s and the MC414...and they look beautiful in the rosewood looking finish...however, with all due respect...for the cost of 2 pairs of MC4s and the MC414...I could put together an AV123 X-Series in White Shadow Maple that would be more than enough for the OP and save him about $600...and I don't believe that the RBH is worth an additional $600 or more...I continue to recommend the AV123 X-Series to those who want some beautiful genuine wood cabinets as well as well constructed, heavy, decent sized speakers that provide about as much value as you can get in a real wood veneer bookshelf style system...with the option to upgrade the the x-xls towers...there may be a very good reason why the entire X-Series is sold out until 3/8/07...thanks for contributing to this thread.

MikeNg

Second Unit
There's no question that the X series is a good value. I'm thinking of getting a set myself to try out. I'll most likely hold out for the X-Pro though - they're drop-dead GORGEOUS.

I can't comment on whether the MC series are '$600 better' or not, since I haven't heard the X series yet. I've listened to the MC series extensively and can vouch for their performance level. Good stuff Maynard. The price you put on relative performance is well, relative and very subjective.

Have you had the opportunity to listen to the X series, or possibly compare them to the MC series? I'm sure the X series will give them a run for their money. Having wood veneers is a nice bennie too.

Given that Grayson's question was about RBH vs. Polk vs. Fluance, I'd want to answer that question first before turning him on to something else.

Anyway, hope this discussion helps you Grayson. Let us know what you decide!

Mike

donnyB

Auditioning
Anyone who may be interested, i have the entire set of the MC4 series available for sale. Brand new still in the sealed RBH boxes. been selling AV equip for over 5yrs & have many references. $800 shipped
email me with any questions,

Don
[email protected]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks