Razor Blade Smile

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Paul Arnette, Sep 22, 2005.

1. Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette Cinematographer

Hi all.

I purchased Anchor Bay Entertainment's new release of Razor Blade Smile recently, and when I received it, I was surprised to learn that the aspect ratio was 1.33:1 Full Frame. Doing a little bit of research online shows that the prior release is 1.85:1 Widescreen.

What is the OAR of this film? IMDB lists it at 1.85:1, but they have been known to be incorrect before.

I'm not sure what to make of this because I've never had to worry about an ABE release being MAR before. Kinda shocked if that's the case.

Any feedback would be wonderful.

Thanks.

Edited to add:

ABE own Website claims it to be 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen further contributing to the confusion...

2. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

You say you learned the new disc is 1.33:1. Is this going by the package or watching the disc?

DJ

3. Paul Arnette

DJ,

Sorry, I should've been more clear. I am going off the packaing, which states the transfer is full frame.

Another poster in a different forum said he watched the transfer and it appeared to be widescreen. At this point, I am looking for confirmation that the film's OAR is indeed 1.85:1 and, if it is, whether this new ABE disc is widescreen with a print error on the cover or MAR.

4. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell
    Are you trying to find this out before you open it so that you can possibly return it? Otherwise, why not just pop in the disc and see?

DJ

5. Paul Arnette

DJ,

Yep. That's it in a nutshell, I don't want to pay for the DVD if it is MAR.

6. Paul Arnette

For those that are interested, the HTF has a review of this DVD here:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...42#post2805370

It answers the question posed in this thread, and the answers are not encouraging for those of us with digital widescreen displays.

No sale. [​IMG] Anchor Bay and Manga.

7. David_Blackwell

David_Blackwell Screenwriter

I have the previous DVD Release of Razor Blade Smile (I bought it about two years ago off eBay). The extras sound good on this new release, but I want widescreen movies to be Anamorphic. I'll guess I will have to revisit the first release and look at it again (and revise my old review of the earlier DVD release because I was still figuring out the review format back then).