What's new

"Ray" - no reviews yet! (1 Viewer)

chris_m_white

Stunt Coordinator
Can someone who watched Ray with the branching feature tell me (in spoilers of course) what scenes were included? I watched the theatrical cut last night, and am interested to hear what I missed.

Thanks.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben

They're included as separate scenes on the other side (if you have the flipper) or the second disc (if you have the two-disc). There are short titles, and you can play them individually or with a "play all" function.

M.

Roger Mathus

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Mathus
A review can now be found on the WIDESCREEN REVIEW site in the subscriber's section. This review notes the stylized use of color, contrast etc that is often referenced in this thread and the review is favorable. It also notes the non-anamorphic nature of the added content in the extended version.

I watched fully the theater version using my Marantz projection system with FireHawk screen and was totally absorbed in the film. I found the nature of the stylized effects very pleasing.

I fully agree with the evaluation of Robert Fowkes just above in this thread and his observations seem consistent with the Widescreen Review comments. I did not see this film in a theater.

If only the extended scenes had been color corrected and anamorphic and with smoother transitions I would have been even more pleased.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Damn- I ended up with a 2-disc set since I didn't know it was out both ways. I would have preferred the 2-sider instead. Guess I'll have to learn to check next time, like I did with the T2 release. And no, I'm not gonna trade it since it's been opened.
Let me say again though that I absolutely HATE the practice of putting cardboard slipcovers OUTSIDE the shrinkwrapped case! Most stores will put price tags and theft-alarm tags right on them, so you have to either leave them on, or risk causing more damage when you take them off. Whose bright idea was this and why are they doing it on so many releases lately?? With the titles I've wanted that came out this way, I've had to either buy them at stores that don't use price tags (like Target) or get them through mail-order.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Jesse,

Can you please provide the SKU or UPC number for your copy? That way we can find out which copies are 2-disc versions and which are flippers.

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
The only versions I have seen that are two discs for the regular edition are the Fullscreen versions. I have yet to see one for the widescreen set

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Saw it tonite. No issues with the color but the image manipulation did look a bit digital or artificial to me. There is DEFINITELY EE in some scenes and the detail in longshots tended to be a bit soft but overall it was ok.

Foxx was eerily phenomenal...

:) D

Steve K.H.

Supporting Actor
Most informative.

I'll definitely rent this one but it only appears inevitable that with Oscar on the way, we'll see a future "Director's Cut", "Ultimate Edition" or otherwise. Hopefully one with DTS and more appropriate colorization effects and anamorphic views on the extended scenes.

Still strange to me that reviews took so long to show up on the web for this title... particularily given its success, the passing of a genius, the Academy Awards on the horizon, etc.

At risk of reviewing the film without seeing it and also reviewing a film in a DVD discussion thread, I wonder if potentially this film should have used black and white (i.e. Raging Bull) in some if not all scenes?

I really believe this would have had a powerful effect.

Jesse, you and me both. My BB pricetag ruined the Ultimate Edition cover on the Fifth Element. That pi$$ed me off.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
UPC number on my 2-disc set is 025192594427. They're probably using the same number on all copies though, I guess this was another case where they weren't able to make enough 2-sided discs in time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks