Ray Brown- R.I.P.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Broadman, Jul 30, 2002.

1. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Ray Brown was THE premier jazz bass player during his career. His work with the Oscar Peterson Trio is often ranked at the top of all bass playing, and his mind-bogglingly myriads of credential include putting in time with Lester Young, Charlie Parker, and his wife, Ella Fitzgerald.

People often talk about the role of the bass player in music, and hold up people like Entwhistel and McCartney as models. Folks, it ain't nothin' until you heard what Brown does. It is simply divine.

Of course, since the world doesn't give two shits about jazz, people don't know or care that a legend passed (July 2). Entwhistle's death, while equally tragic, might have overshadowed it.

Brown was recording up to the end. I believe a couple of his albums are on high-res, though I have not had the opportunity to get any of them.

While there are a crop of very talented bass players on the scene, I have not heard any have the taste and warmth that Brown had. He will be missed.

2. James RD

James RD Supporting Actor

Amen.

3. andrew markworthy

I saw him play with Oscar Peterson once - incredible technique and musicality.

4. Ronald Cage

Ronald Cage Extra

First, I give a s___! about Jazz!
    Ray Brown is and will always be the greatest
    Jazz bass player ever to stroke a note!
    I love him and will miss his contributions to the jazz world. Remember, nothing dies, until you kill it!

5. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I thought that there was a thread about this when it happened? Maybe I'm remembering the threads on www.talkbass.com .