Ray Bradbury Theatre

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by PaulaJ, Oct 25, 2005.

1. PaulaJ

PaulaJ Supporting Actor

Are there any reviews of the DVD set Ray Bradbury Theatre?

Specifically I need to know, does this box set contain the entire series, or does it have just selected episodes, and if so, is there a listing of episodes somewhere?

I've been to all the usual review websites and can't find a review anywhere... not even TVshowsondvd.com.

Thanks

2. Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips Screenwriter

I've seen a set of 65 shows, and also various volumes from Platimum. If they are anything like their other releases, expect a lot of artifacting and slightly better than VHS quality.

3. Bob Hug

Bob Hug Screenwriter

I bought Volume 1 at Best Buy a while back (on the Platinum Disc Corporation label) and, as I recall, it had 13 episodes on a single sided disc . . . so, yes, the quality leaves something to be desired. Steve Phillips' assessment that the DVDs are "slightly better than VHS quality" is fair, in my humble opinion . . . certainly watchable but it's never going to win awards for a top-notch video presentation. On the plus side, I think that I paid around $6 for the DVD so I wasn't expecting too much to begin with.

4. MichaelScott

MichaelScott Stunt Coordinator

There is a box set and it does contain all 65 episodes, so it is complete. Also concur with the others about the quality..just barely above VHS. At least in my set, the quality was a bit better after the second disc it seemed.

5. Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey Cinematographer

So there you have it.

Gord

6. PaulaJ

PaulaJ Supporting Actor

7. Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey Cinematographer

Paula, it's not even reviews... they don't even want their upcoming releases mentioned on the site. It's very strange!

Gord

8. Jeff#

Jeff# Screenwriter

If you mean $6 per disc, then you're right. The 5 disc set of The Ray Bradbury Theatre is about $27 at Best Buy. I'm glad I didn't buy it, but being this is Platinum the average quality of the film prints doesn't surprise me.

9. Bob Hug

Bob Hug Screenwriter

Platinum gave you a few buying options on this series. You could either buy the entire 65 episode series set or you could buy individual volumes, each with 13 episodes. I know that Platinum released at least two individual volumes and, possibly, others. I bought Volume 1 because I was unfamiliar with the series and didn't want to buy the larger, full series set. I found the episodes on Volume 1 to be entertaining, but not particularly memorable. As is the case with many anthology series, some episodes are better than others.

Here's a link to the cover art for the box set:

http://drewfan.com/press/print.php?newsid=19

10. Jeff#

Jeff# Screenwriter

OK, I wasn't aware Platinum released Ray Bradbury Theatre episodes individually as well.

I had only seen this series when it originally aired in first-run on both HBO and USA Network in the 1980s and early 1990s.

11. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

The quality of Platinum's Ray Bradbury Theater DVDs is *WORSE* that VHS level. Avoid at all costs.