What's new

Rawhide (1 Viewer)

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
For what it's worth,"The Wild Wild West" S-1 was released on June 5, 2006 and S2 is coming March 20, 2007. So if "Rawhide" is on a similar schedule, with the July 25, 2006 release of Rawhide S1, S2 should be out in late May or early June of 2007. Pre-release info should be out in Feb or March if that happens.

CBS Paramount plans to increase TV on DVD releases by 20% more titles in 2007 and actually promote the releases.http://videobusiness.com/article/CA6407855.html

I have said it before Big Valley 2 is doing great on the Amazon bestseller lists. Most impulse buyers don't even remember what they paid for S1.

If they do start actually advertising and promoting the titles, that will help create interest in other demographic groups. It's not ninety-year olds buying Bogart collections.

TV on DVD demographics actually list older people especially women as the group that is powering sales of TV on DVD.

S

silverking

Well I do of course, hope you are right Bob. Do please post & tell me "I told you so" if you are correct & I will gladly hold my hands up. Nothing would give me greater pleasure than to have all 8 seasons of 'Rawhide' sitting on my shelf.

However, It seems fairly clear 'Wanted, Dead or Alive' , HGWT & (possibly )Cheyenne have been discontinued. Now I would guess that purchasers of these three are the mainly the same as those for Rawhide, all would have similar sales.Hence my pessimism.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

If that's the case, "head 'em up, move 'em out . . . " to the independent releasing companies (sorry, couldn't resist).

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

As do I.

Gary "I wish I were as optimistic as Bob, but the signs point in the other direction - vintage TVonDVD, especially continuations of previously released season sets, is definitely on the decline" O.

michael_ks

Screenwriter

Of the four series, the only one I don't have is Cheyenne so the supposition is certainly true in my case. If you're enamored with vintage tv westerns you're pretty much going to collect anything that pops up. I'm inclined to agree that hope is fading fast but the one thing I cling to is the unpredictability of the TV/DVD market. I recall how I had long given up on seeing a "Rifleman" set 3, and then there it came, fully 3 years after set 2 was released.

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
I would never post an "I told you so".

It's easy to be optomistic, especially today. All you have to do is remember to: "Turn left at rock that look like bear, and right at bear that look like rock".--Wild Eagle

Doug^Ch

Second Unit
Never give up! If a studio can release a second season of F Troop, they can release anything.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
I'm a tad more confident we will get a second season of RAWHIDE and a fourth season of HGWT simply because of all the studios I have the most faith in Paramount/CBS to do things right. But it sure would be nice to hear about some of these westerns getting continuations.

Gary "I really love RAWHIDE and HGWT, so I'd hate to think they have both been abandoned" O.

S

silverking

I think the difference being though ,that 'Rifleman' was released by an independent.

Regarding the gap between releases - I don't know for sure so I am surmising-the first 40 episodes were originally released by MPI on video, I believe as far back as the 80's in two box sets. Sort of a 'Best of'. With the advent of DVD they then released them as 8 individual DVD's, which were later repackaged into Collection1 & 2. Presumably they sold well ,so MPI then obtained the rights for the rest of the series, this would also explain the haphazard placing of different season episodes.Pity though that their rights expired before they could complete the run.Looks at the moment like another western to bite the dust !

Charles H

Screenwriter
Sorry to hear that "Cheyenne" might be discontinued. In many respects, it is as significant a show as "Gunsmoke," in that it was actually "discovered" by the fans as the only survivor of "Warner Bros. Presents."
Any word or "guesses" as to the status of MAVERICK.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member

I wouldn't give up on Cheyene yet. With HGWT and WDOA it has been over a year since the last release which is reason to believe they have been abandoned. Cheyene was released just 7+ months ago and since F Troop Season 2 was just annouced that gives more hope because it was released at the same time as Cheyenne and it was recently rumored to be abandoned as well.

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
Wanted Dead Or Alive, still available at the usual online retailers, is listed as out of stock at S1's publisher New Line. Maybe New Line's rights have expired. When MPI lost the rights to the Rifleman they stopped taking new orders for the DVDs at their site and when VCI lost the rights to the Lone Ranger movies they removed them from their site also.

So maybe WDOA may find a new DVD home.

Susan Nunes

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Susan Nunes
Since Clint Eastwood has a big following, I seriously doubt Rawhide has been abandoned.

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor

I agree. What shows are there that Paramount has started that we are sure are completely abandoned? I can't really think of any. Now if this was Warner or Universal, that's a different story. Paramount I would say is the company I have the most faith in when it comes to continuing what they start.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I'm beginning to think they've been abandoned. I love Trek but we keep getting re-releases on these sets with another upcoming and yet they cannot finish the shows they started. If they have interest then license the shows out to someone else that can live on a lower profit margin. The Rifleman is shown on Encore's Channel every night as is Big Valley. If these shows had no audience they would'nt be put into heavy rotation. The Series seem to be remastered for syndication, the Big valley shows look stunning. there's not extra's on the disks and they are on cheaper media, there is no reason they cannot put them out. I mean if they can out out evey season of Survivor, who the hell is buying that ?

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
"All Right....Butt Them Saddles!!!!!".....Gil Favor,Trail Boss.

Guest Stars in S2: Viveca Lindfors,Alexander Scorby,Victor McLaglen,Anne Francis,Harry Carey Jr,Patricia Medina,Ed Platt,Paul Fix,Terry Becker,Iron Eyes Cody,Vera Miles,Leif Ericson,Gene Evans,John Barrymore Jr.,John Agar,Cesar Romero,Rick Jason,Faye Spain,Skip Homeier,Luana Patten, Claude Akins, and Neville Brand to name some in the first fifteen episodes of season two.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
You guys are quick! I was coming over to start a new thread, but when I saw this older thread near the top I figured someone beat me to it.

Good news, other than the split season stuff. That's starting to become a trend, interestingly enough only with older shows, that I don't like.

Gary "I guess I should be glad we got any positive news at all about Rawhide continuing" O.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks