What's new

RAWHIDE - S3 ? (1 Viewer)

michael_ks

Screenwriter
I have to say that the current Amazon sales ranking for S2 vol. 2 of "Rawhide" (#1,482) is bit disconcerting when you consider that it was just released. Vol. 1 is sitting at #6,331 and interestingly enough, the entire S1 set, released nearly 18 months ago, is ranked at #2,510! Yes, I do believe I see a pattern here between units sold and 1/2 season vs. full season release format. Time to pull the plug on this specious experiment, Paramount.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa

Those Numbers are rough especially considerng they are not be diluted by any B&M Store in my Area, all of which did not have the set when I checked. I had to break down and order it online. So Clint and the Boys for me until after Xmas:angry:

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa

And he should give it a high grade from the episodes I've watched Sem2 Vol2 has some very good quality episodes on it. No other Western I've watched makes you feel how errie it must've been to be on the plain all alone. Episodes Like the Incident of the Dancing Death nail the sense of Dread often being alone brings, that Queen Gypsy would've scared the bezeejus out of me as a Kid. I love this series and hope it continues.

michael_ks

Screenwriter
Thanks for the link to the review, Bob. As you stated, another in the pantheon of thoughtfully worded reviews to a classic series as only Paul Mavis can deliver. And his comments on split releases are spot on too.

I've watched the first six episodes on this set (trying to savor them much as I did with "The Fugitive") and I have to fully agree, Dave, these episodes are exceptional in that they seem to so compellingly paint a picture of what it must have been like way back when. The episode I viewed last night, "Incident of the Champagne Bottles" was the only misfire I've come across, but the previous five were all exceptional, from the heartfelt "Incident of the Dust Flower" to the tense "Incident at Sulphur Springs" (featuring a great performance by John Dehner), to the (as Mr. Mavis wrote) wonderfully 'Columbo' styled "Incident of the Sharpshooter".

Now that S2 is finished and seeing that Paramount has unfortunately stuck to the split season format, I nervously await the announcement for S3.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa

At least Mod Squad gets a Quick (By Paramount standards) release date announcement for Vol 2, I hope they do the same for Rawhide. I want all 8 seasons of this series, of course I wanted all six season of HGWT too.:angry:

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
Rawhide S.2 V.2 is currently ranked #3,690 on Amazon.. Rawhide S.2 V.1 is ranked #15,821.

I wonder the rankings if this had been released as Rawhide: The Complete Second Season.

michael_ks

Screenwriter
Maybe I'm way off base, but I conjecture that Eastwood fans wouldn't particularly care, in spite of Paramount's rather annoying persistance in making it appear that "Rawhide" was a vehicle primarily for Clint rather than Eric Fleming, the true star and lead. I tend to associate Eastwood fans with films from "Dirty Harry" on up to the present.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

Michael, first off let me say I'm glad to see you back good buddy. You were missed during the Christmas break. Secondly, as it pertains to this issue, I want to say I think you are spot on with that assessment of Eastwood fans. And like you, I too get annoyed with CBS/Paramount trying to advertise this series as an Eastwood one just to try and get more sales. But it's not that big a deal, and if it does help in some small way with sales then I won't complain too much.

Gary "bring on Season 3" O.

michael_ks

Screenwriter
Thanks, Gary--nice to back in "vintage tv land" with my pals on the htf. I tend not to post when I'm at home on vacation as I've become spoiled by the far greater speed to which I can interact on the forum at work.

I have to say that the more I view episodes of "Rawhide" the more anxious I become about the longevity of future relases. I'm discovering the show pretty much for the first time, enjoying it immensely and would be at least as disappointed as I was with HGWT if the show gets abandoned. We're not as bad off as fans of "Gunsmoke" now that the split season route has been put into place for that series, but let's face it--it's bad enough.

Having watched "Ironside" and "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" the past couple of nights, I think now another "Rawhide" episode is in order tonight.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

I'm pretty much in the same boat you are with RAWHIDE, Michael. I had seen it back in the 70's when I was a wee little lad (born in '65), but my memory of it had faded greatly (as it had with ROUTE 66). So it's like I'm watching the show for the very first time - and I'm absolutely loving it! This series is going down as one of my all-time favorites. The acting, the direction, the writing, and the scenery. Oh how I love the scenery. It's so much better than watching westerns filmed in stuffy studios, with the oh so fake looking backdrops of mountains and prairies. I've always preferred on location outdoor settings to studios, no matter how exotic or expensive the props and background set. Give me the real thing every single time. And RAWHIDE, for the most part, does just that.

Yeah, I'm very anxious about the future of this series. It doesn't seem to be faring all that well in the Amazon rankings, and since the studios are so close-lipped about numbers, that's all I have to go on most of the time. Here's hoping we see Season 3 and beyond sooner rather than later.

Gary "keep movin', movin', movin'" O.

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
If it means anything, with Rawhide, seasons 1 and 2 are its golden years. Unfortunately, the show didn't maintain the high quality of these seasons throughout its run, particularly at the end. Season 3 & 4 are great, but beyond that, it's hit or miss.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa

I'm watching the Series for the 1st time and Have a feeling that even Mediocre Rawhide beats "Wife Swap" and "Dancing with the Stars" anyday of the week. I'm hoping it continues

michael_ks

Screenwriter
Hmmm. "Wife Swap" or "Rawhide"...just a moment here...

John, I recall your mentioning a particularly embarrassing 7th season episode and knowing full well how series tend to de-evolve over time I can imagine some low points down the road. But the completist in me just wants all 217 episodes anyway.

Charles Marquis Warren did such a commendable job helming the first two seasons that the release of S3 at least is a must! I'm particularly intrigued by the "Western Heritage Award" winning entry "Incident at Dragoon Crossing" that appears in this season. What's interesting is that the other four WHAs the show won as well as the Golden Globe nomination for best tv series all occurred in later seasons.

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
"Incident At Dragoon Crossing" is one of my favorite Rawhides. The other trail boss in the story, is a character called John Cord, played by actor/director Dan O'Herlihy. The John Cord,trail boss, character was also in a movie written and co-produced by C.M.Warren called "Cattle Empire" (1958) starring Joel McCrea. Paul Brinegar, Steve Raines, Rocky Shahan and every other actor or actress in the cast of this trail drive movie would later appear in Rawhide. Duane Grey who plays Cord's sidekick in "Dragoon Crossing" was also in "Cattle Empire" playing a similar character. Paul Brinegar played the cook in "Cattle Empire", a character called Thomas Jefferson Jeffrey with a twin brother called George Washington Jeffrey. They reused the idea of twin brothers for Paul Brinegar's ,G.W. Wishbone, and his twin T.J.Wishbone in "Incident OF The Tinker's Dam".

michael_ks

Screenwriter
Very interesting information in how "Dragoon Crossing" ties in to an earlier produced Warren film--thanks for that detailed information, Bob.

Last night I watched "Incident of the Stargazer", quite a change of pace in that Pete Nolan and Wishbone are the prinicipal players among the cast of regulars. I was rather surprised by how the episode's underscore features just about every cue from the premiere 'Twilight Zone' episode "Where is Everybody?" (Bernard Herrmann). I believe this may be the first "Rawhide" episode where the music is overwhelmingly derived from one source.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

Just wait, Michael, the best is yet to come. Pretty soon you are going to watch an episode and actually hear an underscore from... GILLIGAN'S ISLAND! How's that for interesting.

Gary "when I heard that music I half expected Dusty to walk into camp" O. ;)

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
According to tvshowsondvd, Season 3, Volume 1 is coming May 27th!

Great news! Nice to see CBS/Paramount stick with it! I had big doubts they ever would.

I guess the split-seasons haven't sunk sales yet to a point where they abandon the series.

Yet on the flip side, looks like split-seasons are all we'll get of this show, with one season a year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks