What's new

Rawhide complete series box 5/12/15 (1 Viewer)

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
I really hope that CBS/Paramount takes the time to remaster seasons 1 and 4, especially season 4, it looks horrible!!

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Yes another complete boxed set from CBS with many more to come in the next few months. Makes me wonder what they will release after they have reboxed and re-released previous releases.

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
jdee28 said:
I really hope that CBS/Paramount takes the time to remaster seasons 1 and 4, especially season 4, it looks horrible!!

I agree.

Let's hope they will include:
the English subtitles for all seasons—the previous season 1 to 3 sets hadn't them but CC.
restored prints for season 4—the previous season 4 set had third-rate prints.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
jdee28 said:

I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but in my heart I have to admit I don't have a lot of hope. If they do fix these issues, it will be the exception and not the rule for them (similar to The Fugitive - which shows us miracles can happen).

Gary "did they fix that one season of Hawaii Five-O when they released the full boxed set a while back?" O.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Since I only had Season 1 and sold it I will be in for this at a good price. I do hope they fix season 4.

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
VHS would look better than the Season 4 prints and some of the ones they used for Season 1.

They did fix Hawaii Five-O Season 10, but not specifically for their complete series box set. Those episodes were already streaming beforehand on Amazon remastered. It was only after they were made aware of that that they delayed the release of the box set to include the new Season 10.

If they were to fix Rawhide Seasons 4 and 1, they'd probably have to do it just for the box set, and/or future streaming or reruns. Do they have enough of a commitment or incentive for that?

I do think there was something of a mistake in their release of Season 4. The back of the DVD for Season 4, Volume 2 actually says "digitally remastered." I imagine they did intend to remaster that season until something happened.

If anyone has any contacts at CBS DVD, I hope they can reach out and make them away of these issues. I would definitely get this box set if seasons 1 and 4 are fully restored and remastered. Are they really going to release a complete series box set where 6 of the seasons are pristine and the other 2 are sub-par?

Pathfiner

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff
I suppose it's inevitable but the box for this I've seen advertised elsewhere again lists: 'CLINT EASTWOOD IN RAWHIDE' - complete with a large depiction of CE as Rowdy Yates....while the speal refers to 'Rawhide starring Clint Eastwood'....etc

To be expected of course, but anyone younger buying this might then be surprised to find CE is the sidekick to The Late Great Eric Fleming STARRING as Trail boss Gil Favor, with Clint gradually emerging as a co-lead as the show (& drive) goes on, getting the odd 'solo' feature (as does Sheb Wolley as Pete Nolan etc), and only becomes the trail boss & 'star' of the show in it's final 8th season (that saw the show axed prematurely)

I realise they are bound to plug Clint's involvment of course, but putting just him up as if he's the only lead & star of the show is simply inaccurate ! (and disrespectful to Eric Fleming's memory I feel) to many fans Fleming WAS 'Rawhide' & CE the important co-star

I suppose it would be like:

'The Streets of San Francisco' STARRING MIKE DOUGLAS...

...oh & with somebody named cal molden (?)

just a gripe on my part !

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
If we don't have the restoration infos, who is willing to buy the boxset blind and pass the infos for the people?

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Pathfiner said:
...oh & with somebody named cal molden (?)

just a gripe on my part !

I think that the name you're looking for is Karl Malden. He played Det. Mike Stone.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
JohnHopper said:
If we don't have the restoration infos, who is willing to buy the boxset blind and pass the infos for the people?

My crystal ball says not to bother at all.

Gary "bummer" O.

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
I always thought it was grossly misleading to sell Rawhide as the Clint Eastwood Show. Eastwood is incredibly green in it and is nothing like the screen persona he adapts in most of his later movies. I wonder what people who fall for that sales pitch think after seeing a few episodes.

If CBS doesn't fix the seasons, it would be truly disappointing but not surprising. From the box art, and them releasing all these other box sets at the same time, it does look like simply a dump of product that already exists and hasn't been sold, with nothing new being added.

I hope at least the reviews of the box set call them out on the subpar quality of 2 of the 8 seasons, and they get some embarrassment from it.

Pathfiner

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff
Yeah I DID know it was the Late Great Karl Malden starring in 'TSOSF' (I was only joking !)

Clint Eastwood DOES get more confident as Rowdy Yates as the show went on - remember he did the first two 'Dollar' films as 'The Man With No Name' in 1964 and 1965 between seasons of 'Rawhide' while still playing Rowdy

Clint once pointed out that 'The Man With No Name' & 'Rowdy Yates' even wore the SAME boots - his own !

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
Any news concerning the restoration of season 4?

Have you read the remarks at Amazon?

Thanks.

PS: To those who pre-order the set, please let us know the picture quality of season 4.

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
Indications are they are not going to remaster Season 4. You might want to write to Paramount, or post on Amazon, or write to tvshowsondvd.com or other sites. Maybe that will get CBS/Paramount's attention and they'll do something about Season 4, not to mention Season 1.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Unfortunately, for many of the studios these days the key word seems to be REPACKAGING. It's a shame, but I don't think a lot of major effort or expense will be invested in remasters or new releases anymore, outside of maybe smaller labels and MODs. The idea now seems to be clearing out old stock with just a new ribbon attached. I'd love to be proven wrong, but we've seen a real downturn for awhile now.

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
jdee28 said:
Indications are they are not going to remaster Season 4. You might want to write to Paramount, or post on Amazon, or write to tvshowsondvd.com or other sites. Maybe that will get CBS/Paramount's attention and they'll do something about Season 4, not to mention Season 1.

I think I'm going to wait for the Blu-Ray edition of Rawhide : at least, they will be compelled to restore it for the sake of HD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks