Raw Silver Wire for speaker cables, Link please?

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by Cliff Olson, Oct 6, 2003.

1. Cliff Olson

Cliff Olson Stunt Coordinator

Hey everyone. I know it's been posted before, but I'm looking to make my own silver speaker cables, and I was wondering if someone could post the link for silver wire manufacturers. I remember most agreeing with one make over most others. I thought I had it bookmarked, but I can't find it. Also, there was a very informative DIY site on how to make them. If anyone has that, I'd be most grateful. Thanks!

2. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

3. Cliff Olson

Thanks Kevin. I'm actually looking for the source of 99.99% silver wire. I am interested in weaving and inserting it in teflon tubes myself, to learn and save $$$!

4. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

well almost all silver wire you're going to find is of fairly high purity and that's because it's either used in jewelry, medical, or scientific disciplines where high purity is required...especially when it's in teflon.
    You can look up New England Wire & Cable on the web. They're an actual manufacturer of bulk wire and I believe they also do silver. You can contact someone there via their toll free number about what your requirements are.
    Another source is http://www.a-msystems.com/physiology...silverwire.asp
    and if that link doesn't work, i'm sure you can renavigate the site (I didn't check it).
    Silver, being a precious metal, varies in price.
    Post back if you will what you found for prices.

5. Cliff Olson

Thanks Chu. Do you think there could be an audible difference between 99.99% purity and 99.9% purity?

6. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Well I'm the wrong person to ask about that now!! But the answer is no. I wouldn't be so quick to want to put the wire into teflon. This is an automated process and I can pretty much guarantee that you will be one miserable SOB trying to do that yourself. Myself, I'd look towards contacting New England Wire or other manufacturers (my other source and the other one are not manufacturers but resellers). The reason for this is it's possible you'll get a better price. Madison Cable is a possibility also. The thing is, I don't know what their minimum quantity is. The wire mongers aren't dealing with distributers if they want to make money. They're going right to the manufacturer for their prices. Even if you find they can't help you (only find out if you ask) with a direct sale, maybe they can turn you on to some other resellers.