What's new

Raves Continue! The absolute best animated comedy series: THE FAMILY GUY - A must buy! (1 Viewer)

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Peter is at church and drinks the wine then asks the pastor, "is this really the blood of Christ?" The pastor replies, "yes," the Peter says "damn, he must of been wasted wasted 24/7."
According to the remnants of the commentary, that scene was cut from the first episode when it originally aired, and was restored in the DVD. (After it was cut from the first episode, it was used in another episode. So it ends up on the DVD set twice.) I wonder why they decided to restore this scene and then remove or modify at least three other scenes. (There is another thread where the edits were discussed in detail.)

I can kind of understand the removal of the Bin Laden scene (although I don't agree with that decision), why were references to JFK and Hitler removed? Bin Laden was removed because 9/11 happened between when the show aired and the release of the DVDs. But the JFK assassination and WWII happened a long time before Family Guy was even created. What has changed since the episodes aired that made FOX decide to remove these scenes?

Another (unrelated) thing I am curious about. I keep seeing people calling the show The Family Guy. I thought the title was just Family Guy. Was the "The" there at one point and then dropped or something?

TedT

Second Unit
I can kind of understand the removal of the Bin Laden scene (although I don't agree with that decision),
I can't understand it at all! What, they're afraid of offending Bin Laden?!??! Are they afraid of hurting his feelings?

Scott Ware

Stunt Coordinator
My guess as to why the Bin Laden joke was removed is because it could be seen as mocking the events that occured on September 11th.

I also do not agree with the decision to remove it, but it hasn't kept me from buying the set.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I thought the title was just Family Guy. Was the "The" there at one point and then dropped or something?
I don't think it's anything more than we just put "The" in front of it because it sounds better.

Off Topic: Kind of like when Caldor used to be open in CT, people would always say "Let's go to Caldors". Adding the 's' to the end just sounded better, so we always said it wrong.

JamesHl

Supporting Actor
"Well broccoli, mother says you're good for me. I'm afraid I'm no good for you!"

The Osama gag was pretty damn funny, they really should have left that alone. Disrespecting anything, hell. It's not like they said "HAHA!!! WE MOCK EVERYONE WHO DIED ON SEPT 11!@$!@%"

Stewie's kung fu fight on the top of the oriental express is priceless.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
my gueess as to why the bin laden joke was removed is due to seth macfarlane had a ticket on one of the planes that crashed into the world trade center.
and during the interview at tvshowsondvd.com he pretty much admitted to having a hang-over the next morning and was not able to get up in time and missed the plane by about 10 minutes.

so maybe it is just the smple reason the seth macfarlane is sensitive to the 911 situation and thats why it's not in the show anymore.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

I don't think so, because he was quoted (after 9/11) as saying he originally fought to keep it in, then after fighting with the studio for awhile became indifferent and didn't really care if it was in or out.

Scott Ware

Stunt Coordinator
TonyD, did you read the whole article?

From tvshowsondvd.com:

Yeah, that came up at one point. I said, "Look, I'm probably as close to that incident as anybody at Fox." There was one point where I was arguing to keep that scene in. Yeah, I was booked on that flight and I was drinking the night before and hung over and I missed the plane by about 10 minutes. It was a very close call for me.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i read the whole thing. i just thought i'd put it out there to see what anyone else thought.

Bill A

Grip
My two favorite scenes.

1) Peter locking himself in a (soundproof/air-proof) glass box to avoid talking to Brian, and then farting. The look on his face, the easily lip-read "OH MY GOD!" followed by his frantic clawing at the box are etched in my brain.

2) (Paraphrased)

Meg : If I don't learn how to drive a car I'll never go out on a date, and I'll end up adopting a kid like Rosie O'Donnell did.

Peter : Are you implying that Rosie O'Donnell can't drive?

On to serious stuff though.
It was the episode where, in a blatant ripoff of a classic "Simpsons" episode...
I know that this wasn't said to imply ;-) that FG ripped off the Simpsons, but it brought back some memories. I am a Matt Groening fan since 1986, and I tuned into the Tracy Ullman show specifically for the Simpsons vignettes. That said, there were several times during the Simpsons when I would say "That happened on Family Guy." I know that it happened at least three times. The one case that I can remember was when Peter had the endangered birds nesting in his beard, and he wasn't allowed to get rid of them. The Simpsons in a later episode had the Screamapilliar, an endangered species that they weren't allowed to get rid of.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
It is done!

I finally completed the entire Volume One
boxed set.

Now I find myself in a sort of funk. Practically
every night over the past few weeks I have spent
21 minutes watching the funniest cartoon series
I have ever seen. 28 shows and not one that didn't
evoke a huge belly-laugh from this individual.

Coincidently, the last episode I watched on this
entire set was in my opinion the funniest of the
whole set. The show was E Peterbus Unum
where the Griffin home becomes its own independent
country. I nearly pissed my pants watching Peter
mock M.C. Hammer in Can't Touch Me.

Last night I almost busted a gut watching the
opening of The Story On Page One. It
begins with a TV series about a girl and her
friend that happens to be an Anus.

You can refer to this show as immature moronic
comedy, but anyone that has an offbeat sense of
humor can't help but put these writers on pedestals
for some of the things that they have thought of
during the show's entire first two seasons (and
I am sure the third as well). Watching Family
Guy
is like combining the Zucker Brothers
with the Marx Brothers. There's so much humor
thrown at you in the span of 21 minutes that
there's always this expectation of "what's going
to happen next?"

I have had such a great time with these shows.
You can label me as a FOX pusher, but this is
a series that has pulled every funny bone in my
body and I hope that its popularity is resurrected
through home video to the point where Fox would
reconsider putting this show back into
production.

Cannot wait till the day I receive Season Three
in the mail.

JohnDMoore

Stunt Coordinator
Wow. One episode a night. My friends and I watched them all in three nights. Probably would have been two, but I had work one morning. ;)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
John,

Two jobs (this forum being one of them) doesn't
leave me that kind of extra time.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
:laugh: Jobs, DVD's, Personal Web sites to maintain, Web sites to visit, ReplayTV recording 15 hours of programming per day...Time? What's that? :D

They need to invent a brand new month so I can catch up.

To my boss: "I'll be taking the month of Junely off so I can catch up on all of my unwatched DVD's."

p.s. Bonus points for the one who can identify the "Febtober" and "Smarch" references first.

Joel C

Screenwriter
"Smarch" is from one of the Simpsons Halloween specials, I think maybe the one with Willie as Freddy?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Just remembered a couple more great moments
from this show....

Sesame Street's Bert and Ernie waking up in bed together with Burt climbing out of bed and displaying his backside and ass.

Oh, and...

Stewie attacking Mr. Rogers Neighborhood. Total destruction - including a flaming "Meow Meow Kitty"

Great stuff!

Ron,

Just wanted to thank you for starting this thread.

It got me to stop putting off buying this boxset,
I was keen but was put off by the reviews of the
video transfer...

I am *so* glad I did...it arrived yesterday in
the mail and I watched 4 episodes last night,
plus the commentary on the first episode...

Brilliant !!! I am looking forward to seeing
all the episodes as I only caught a few when
it screened on cable tv over here...bring
on the next boxset !!

I loved the scene you mentioned in the first
spoiler in your previous post...I was trying to
decide what scene to show the guys at work to
give them an idea of the show (I think I'll be
lending this boxset to lots of people !!) and
as soon as I saw that scene I knew that was
the one !!

Stewart.

Ryan FB

Second Unit
I second Stewart's feelings, I blind bought this set because of this thread (I'd never seen the show when it was on as I never heard any "buzz" over it, so I didn't feel the need to hunt down the air times). Now I'm already halfway into the third disc, watching my Simpsons Season 2 set has been put off, and I can't wait for Vol. 2 of Family Guy to come out. :D

Great show!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks