What's new

Raves Continue! The absolute best animated comedy series: THE FAMILY GUY - A must buy! (1 Viewer)

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Ron:

I'm glad you've enjoy FG. We were hooked when it debuted a few years ago, and we desperately chased it around the Fox's schedule all the way to its (untimely) demise.

I missed your review of the boxed set, but I've been enjoying it, pop culture references and all, since Father's Day.

The show is so good, I almost didn't notice the image artifacts. Here's to a speedy delivery of Season 3.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I just watched FG on cartoon net last night and it was the uncencored ep were we get to see the pez of JFK get it's head shot off..
i dont know if any other eps have been shown uncut.

JohnDMoore

Stunt Coordinator
As I recall, only the "Road to Rhode Island" episode was cut, which was just one joke featuring Osama bin Laden and... a plane? Or something. I never saw the episode when it initially aired.
But that's one cut that even MacFarlane doesn't disapprove of.
I thoroughly enjoyed the eight commentaries on the Volume One release and am disappointed there won't be more than the same on Volume Two.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
not true. the ep that i just referenced above was cut. it was the one were peter tries to stop a bunch of bank robbers because he thought the wheelchair guy was gotting all the attention, or something like that.

JimmyT

Stunt Coordinator
The way Fox moved it around, it's amazing I was able to see as many original run episodes as I did. I was hooked the first time I saw it. I just wish there were more episodes.
"Wasted Talent" is probably one of my favorite TV episodes ever.

Adam_Garris

Supporting Actor
A favorite of mine:

(Brian is driving down a road admiring the scenery)
Brian: Wow, its beautiful.
(Then theres a big bump, Brian goes outside and theres a
guy on the road)
Brian: OH MY GOD! ARE YOU STEPHEN KING!?
Dean: No, I'm Dean Koontz
Brian: oh.
(Brian gets back into the car, and reverses over Koontz)

Shane_M

Stunt Coordinator
My Favorite quote from Stewie - "The man in white is coming to put me back in the womb"

At least it's close to that...

"Damn you woman" tee hehe

I always tried to catch this series on TV, but trying to find it was a nightmare. I'm glad it's finally on DVD. Now I can watch it whenever I want.... DVDs are great.

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I kinda stayed out of that debate because I didn't really have a strong opinion one way or the other. ... I guess it was a legal decision that Fox made to leave it out. It's unfortunate in that it's a part of the episode that was produced and was aired and is sort of gone forever, but it's a small loss in the grand scheme of things. ...
I said, "Look, I'm probably as close to that incident as anybody at Fox." There was one point where I was arguing to keep that scene in. Yeah, I was booked on that flight and I was drinking the night before and hung over and I missed the plane by about 10 minutes. It was a very close call for me.

Steve_AS

Second Unit
At the risk of thread-crapping (not my intention), I have to indicate that I don't think Family Guy deserves the adulation. I'll take The Simpsons over it any day of the week. Or King of the Hill over it. Or Futurama. Or The Flintstones. Or...

I totally agree. I'm absolutely baffled when I see people praising this show. I'm offended by it, but not from any sort of moral standpoint. I'm offended by the writers apparantly complete lack of comedic understanding that was confirmed every time an episode of this show was produced. The characters are all annoying and unlikeable, their designs are unappealing, the animation is terrible, and the jokes are predictable and ultimately unfunny. Not only could you see the jokes coming from a mile away, the show had an irritating way of over-explaining said jokes after the fact. Out of sheer morbid curiosity I was watching an episode on Cartoon Network the other day while on the phone with a friend. It was the episode where, in a blatant ripoff of a classic "Simpsons" episode, the family relocated to avoid a criminal who wanted to kill their son. In a painful "Dukes of Hazzard" joke, Brian the dog went to jump in through the window after Peter demonstrated how he entered the car. Having never seen the episode, I still told my friend on the phone "the window is rolled up" and not only was my prediction correct, the joke was then painfully explained *after* the fact as well. Anyways, I guess it takes different strokes to move the world.
Isn't TFG from the same crew that did 'The Critic'? The relentless one-liner scripting of the two are similar, as is the frantic, kitchen-sink approach (throw in everything you can, some of it *must* be funny). The lead character is a repellant, selfish slob that we're supposed to like, in the Honeymooners/Flintstones tradition, not much new there...but Stewie made it worthwhile...enough so that I'll probably by the boxed set just for his scenes. After I get the King of the Hill set.

:D

DeepakJR

Second Unit
Real Name
Deepak
My favorite scene:

Peter is at church and drinks the wine then asks the pastor, "is this really the blood of Christ?" The pastor replies, "yes," the Peter says "damn, he must of been wasted wasted 24/7."

ROTF, this one still makes me laugh to this date. Hehe, although not religiously friendly, funny as hell.

L8rz,
Deepak Jr.

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
Okay...okay...my absolute favorite part is in the first episode of Season 2...or EP8 in the set...when they do this little flashback of the swearing...how Peter shouldnt do it...he's in the courthouse getting ready to testify and the bailif is asking him to swear to the court...and Peter says "I swear.........you bastard!" GENIUS! :D

Luke Bowers

Auditioning
I don't really have much input into the current discussion of Family Guy's cut aways except that most of the time I find them fairly to absolutely hilarious with the occasional ones falling flat on their face. The 11 to 12 p.m. time slot during the week on Cartoon Network (Futurama and the Family Guy back to back) has become one of the only things I watch on TV.

Anyway I was reading about the 3rd season of The Family Guy's dvd release and apparently they are going to include the "When You Wish Upon A Weinstein" episode. I remember there being some sort of controversy with this particular episode when the first season came out on dvd and was wondering the particulars.

Also I recently saw an episode on tv when Stewie went to actor school and kept on mentioning his "sexy parties" and they cut away to him running around the house with women in lingerie. I was barely able to hold myself together while watching it. I know its a reference to something but have to idea what and am just curious if anyone knows?

Luke Bowers

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
they are going to include the "When You Wish Upon A Weinstein" episode. I remember there being some sort of controversy with this particular episode
Mr. Weinstein is an almost exact rip off of the Jerky Boys. If I remember correctly, is that the episode where the Weinsteins come to dinner at the Griffins? Because Mr. W goes off on a rant that is VERY similar to the Jerky Boys.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I recently saw an episode on tv when Stewie went to actor school and kept on mentioning his "sexy parties" and they cut away to him running around the house with women in lingerie. I was barely able to hold myself together while watching it. I know its a reference to something but have to idea what and am just curious if anyone knows?
the benny hill show.

Matthew Furtek

Stunt Coordinator
MarkHastings Wrote:

Mr. Weinstein is an almost exact rip off of the Jerky Boys. If I remember correctly, is that the episode where the Weinsteins come to dinner at the Griffins? Because Mr. W goes off on a rant that is VERY similar to the Jerky Boys.
Hope that helps.... really looking foward to September!

Matthew Furtek

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks