What's new

Ravenous (1 Viewer)

Kirsten

Stunt Coordinator
I never thought cannibalism could be funny. That is until I saw the 1999 dark comedy, Ravenous. I watched this movie for the first time a few weeks ago, and not knowing what to expect, was delighted by what I saw. The movie was, of course, gory and had me reeling from disgust on a number of occasions, but the story was so good, and the characters were so well developed that it never became the standard gore-fest that so many movies of the cannibal/vampire genre become. This movie remained intelligent throughout, providing social commentary on such aspects as Manifest Destiny and the consumption of meat (including human flesh). My questions then, are as follows:
1. Why haven’t more people seen this movie?
I had never heard of this show until my fiancé found it for sale at the grocery store of all places, and after having watched the show, I was surprised to find out that my co-workers had never heard of it either.
2. What is the deal with this site?
This isn’t for real is it? :eek:
Thank-you for your input.
/K

Liam S

Stunt Coordinator
I also thought it was a good entertaining, funny movie. I really liked the choice of music. In a way it was really cheesy but for some reason it worked really well.

Why haven’t more people seen this movie?
I never even heard of it until a friend of mine rented it. I guess it didn't have much or effective advertising.

Mike_Ped

Second Unit
I first saw this movie on Showtime some time ago and liked it so much I bought the DVD online that same night. Everyone else I've forcable shown it too, just wasn't as excited about the movie as I was. I loved it!

Mike

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
It's a true "cult" movie it seems, its reputation has spread through word of mouth (or word of keyboard :)) instead of being designated a "cult movie" by marketers as soon as it opened. A similar discussion is going on right now at the Swedish DVD site http://www.dvdforum.nu
I remember seeing Roger Ebert's review of it when it came out, and a few TV spots, but it wasn't marketed very much, it kind of just got lost.
I agree it's an excellent movie.
/Mike

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I first saw it on Cinemax.

I gotta admit I really liked Ravenous -I enjoyed the black humor of it all.

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
Michael Nyman, who composed the music for The Piano, also co-wrote the score for Ravenous. It's quirky, but it really fits the mood of the picture.

Robert Carlyle is the absolute sh*t in this movie! His performance just stands out and demands attention from the moment he appears onscreen.

The DVD is currently retailing for under $10, too.

I found it interesting that some of the snow in the film was false, placed strategically around the forest because the film crew encountered an unusually mild winter.

Joseph

Bill McA

Senior HTF Member
I really enjoyed this film also...and was very disappointed when it virtually just disappeared from the cinema screens.

Too bad!

Great movie (I have the DVD), terrific Michael Nyman score (I have the CD), great photography + locations, good cast, tongue-in-cheek dialog ("He was licking me!"), interesting variation on the vampire myth and a wicked sense of humor!!

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
I loved Ravenous when I saw it in the theatre...my girlfriend, on the other hand, hated every last second of it (and actually left on two occassions to play video games).

Every time she wants to watch Grease, I have to watch it with her without complaint, or she'll bring up Ravenous again.

-Aaron

p.s. he was licking me!

Brad_W

Screenwriter
I absolutely love this movie.

The begining is fantastic with all the raw meat eating.

Sean Cauley

Stunt Coordinator
I think the main reason this movie took so long to find an audience is that its original marketing made it look like something really different than what it really was (and much less interesting, as well). I remember seeing the theatrical trailer at quite a few movies that summer, and they made it look like it was a story about one man (Guy Pearce) transferred to an army base where everyone eats human flesh, so he has to run for his life. Didn't look like something that would take an hour and a half or longer.

Only after I had heard (here, probably) that the movie wasn't what it had been advertised to be that I bothered to catch a cable showing. I didn't think it was perfect, but it was a lot more fun than I'd expected. Personally, I would have liked to see it end at a different point--When Carlyle shows up at the army base posing as the Colonel--it would have made for a good "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" kind of ending
--but I was still pretty satisfied.

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
Antonia Bird, who directed the film, is a staunch vegetarian. So is Guy Pearce. If that doesn't smack of irony, nothing does.

As for the film, I thought it was terrific. Jeffrey Jones was terrific...stole every scene he was in. Richly layered and full of smarts, a fun film to watch.

Bruce

DonMac

Stunt Coordinator
Bruce Hedtke wrote:
Antonia Bird, who directed the film, is a staunch vegetarian. So is Guy Pearce. If that doesn't smack of irony, nothing does.
After the beginning meal scene that depicted the eating of meat as being completely disgusting, I knew that the director had to be a vegetarian. That scene was definitely an enlightening experience for me because, now, that's how I imagine most vegetarians see us meateaters when we chow down.
I love this movie too... but, like all cult movies, it's definitely not for all "tastes" ;)

Bill McA

Senior HTF Member
After the beginning meal scene that depicted the eating of meat as being completely disgusting, I knew that the director had to be a vegetarian. That scene was definitely an enlightening experience for me because, now, that's how I imagine most vegetarians see us meateaters when we chow down.
Perhaps that is the reason why I like the film so much...as I too, am a vegetarian.
I don't know if the filmmakers are vegetarians, but I always thought that The Texas Chainsaw Massacre was the best pro-vegetarian movie I've ever seen.
The film basically treats the human victims the same way cattle are treated in slaughterhouses...putting a human perspective onto the horror and fear experienced by those animals.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
This is the only DVD I ever bought without having watched the movie beforehand. I'm glad I did. I've watched it numerous times. BTW, I too am a vegetarian.

Jeff_P

Stunt Coordinator
I was excited when this movie came out in theaters. Too bad it lasted only about a week. So I had to wait for the DVD and I thought it was awesome.

Chris Demaree

Stunt Coordinator
I love this movie and actually saw it in the theater. The music is perfect and the characters are ....very hungry :) I wish the DVD was anamorphic, but the transfer is still pretty good. This movie is one of the best dark comedies I've ever seen.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks