Raven Tweeters - does anyone use them?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg_R, Mar 4, 2002.

1. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has used the Raven tweeters in a DIY design. If so, what were your impressions (ease of design & final sound)? Has anyone built any of the Zalytron kits?

Do people not use these due to their expense?

2. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

As one might imagine Ravens aren't for the casual builder. The sound is amazing. Remember that any leaf/planar/ribbon tweeter has a vertical dispersion that's equal to the physical height of the tweeter itself. As a result the 'sweet spot' is very small.

3. Thomas good point!

The raven usually requires a 4-6th order electrical XO....very hard to get right for most people.

the raven I heard didn't sound that great on SS, but really sounded good on a tube amp. I believe it was matted with the 6.5" seas excel.

Is there a particular reason you are looking into the raven?

Unless you have a hi-res system, there are other planars that you could use in its place.

4. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    I'm not really looking at building a high-end speaker at this time (but plan to build one within the next year or so). Until then I've been building some less expensive designs for full home audio use. I've seen some of the other ribbon / planer options but liked the Raven since it wasn't a large monolith [​IMG].
    ThomasW: So the sweet spot is vertically limited from 3.5"(R1) to 6.5"(R3)? It looks like the Raven has much better vertical dispersion vs. a typical planer driver. Am I misreading the vertical dispersion plots (in the spec sheet PDF)?
    For others, here is a link to the Raven specs.
    Thanks for the posts so far...

5. Mark Krawiec

Mark Krawiec Agent

well, let me jump in an elaborate on thomas's point.

line source drivers drop off markedly when you go above or below the edges of the ribbon.

so why do the raven's look good.

well, because at any listening distance that exceeds the length of the driver by a factor of 10-20 (people argue this point), the driver starts acting like a point source.

if you were to do vertical axis measurements at say 2 inches from the driver vs 2 meters, you'd get quite a bit of difference in relative vertical dropoff.

this issue is more of a problem when you use true line source devices.

moral of the story-- small ribbons act like domes if the distance is far enough.

6. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

Something else to consider is that smoothing has been applied to the Raven plots. I'm not suggesting they are poor driver, they aren't. But the real world plots aren't as good as those posted on the Orca site

7. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    Thanks for the knowledgeable comments!