Ravel's "Daphnis et Chloe" - Best recording?

Discussion in 'Music' started by ThomasC, Dec 15, 2003.

1. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

Hey all,

I'm in one of the choirs at my university, and we just performed a concert last week with the university symphony orchestra. "Daphnis et Chloe" was one of the pieces we performed. I've grown to really like the song, anyone have recommendations on great recordings, or perhaps if you think you've listened to them all, the best?

Thanks,
    Thomas

2. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Thomas, I'm no expert on recordings of this piece, but there's a new SACD/CD hybrid from Mobile Fidelity that includes "Daphne et Chloe" (as well as Bolero, La Valse, etc.) and it's getting enormous praise. If you have an SACD player, then this might be a wonderful place to start (even if you don't have an SACD player, it's probably still advisable). Here's a great review:

http://www.highfidelityreview.com/re...umber=16350035

3. Daniel Baseman

The SACD probably is a safe way to go (although I have never heard it). However, another great way to go would be to get the Ravel compilation on Decca (2 discs) by Charles Dutoit and the Montreal Symphony. It is a demonstration class recording (at a very reasonable price) and probably has all of the Ravel orchestral pieces you could want (save the piano concertos - for those you could try the Zimerman/Boulez on DG)

4. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

I second Daniel's recommendation.I also gonna buy the Mo-Fi disc though for it's surround and said performance value.