Ratner off of Superman

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Craig W, Mar 20, 2003.

1. Craig W

Craig W Second Unit

The hired director of the new Superman film has been told to take a walk or he walked on his own choice.

Apparently the last straw was his choice to play Supes, soap actor Matthew Bomer.

Hopefully the studio leaves this carwreck in the ditch awhile before attempting a salvage job.

2. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Thank God!

3. LennyP

LennyP Supporting Actor

Oh GOOD! Not that I'd be lining up to see this movie at all, but Ratner and his choices for Superman were terrible.

4. Craig W

Craig W Second Unit

I don't know about the rest of you, but I am looking more forward to Chris Nolan's take on Batman than any near future Superman movie. I hope the current Batman project will happen, but Warner's track record with DC properties ever since Burton left the Bat films has been less than stellar.

5. Joshua_Y

Joshua_Y Screenwriter

Yay! The Witch is dead![​IMG]

6. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    The witch is Peters, not Ratner. Ratner was merely an average choice for a epic film. Peters is the moron behind the curtain, who doesn't give a piss about the character. He's making every decision based on marketing, and he doesn't even understand the draw of the product.

Brett wasn't exactly the right choice, but losing him and keeping Peters is not a good sign for hiring a new director. If they had canned them both...

Take care,
    Chuck

7. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

This whole thing has already been made into a film. It's called "Voyage Of The Damned".

8. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

9. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

I agree with all of u but I think that Bomer guy "looked" the part more than anyone else mentioned so far.

Now that need to dump that script and just continue with whats already been established instead or retelling the story from the beginning.

10. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Indeed, Peters is the primary blasphemer. While removing Ratner, who was a blasphemy enabler is a solid step of a vote of no confidence, Peters needs to be out of there. His giant spider fetish coupled with "I don't want to see him in that fairy costume" and "I don't want to see him fly" should have been enough for DC and S&S's relatives to demand him be removed from the project

11. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Blasphemer? Blasphemer enabler?

Just because a project doesn't subscribe to your worldview of comic book characters, it doesn't make the creators involved "blasphemers".

Enough with the labels. It'd be more constructive if you'd elaborate and back up your feelings on such topics.

12. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

I think the quotes I provided more than back it up

Take Superman out of the costume? The costume is his SYMBOL, and since this is SuperMAN, there can be no Smallville arguements here. Superman wears the blue tights with the red cape, red boots, and red underoos. That's the way it goes.

As far as the "no-fly zone", only a total and complete moron would advocate a Superman movie where he doesn't fly, or if you really want to go to roots "leap tall buildings in a single bound"

13. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

I also have to agree that Bomer probably looked the part more than any other candidate. Kinda ironic that they don't want an unknown for the part, since it was basically an unknown that made Superman iconic on the big screen. I almost think it is a benefit to be an unknown, so people can focus on the character, rather than the actor.

For those praising Ratner being off, be careful what you wish for. Ratner is at least capable, if unspectacular. Considering names like McG and Michael Bay have also been attacted to this film, I wouldn't expect much improvement in the director's chair, and could likely be worse.

Jason

14. Craig W

Craig W Second Unit

I don't have anything against Ratner, but I think there are major problems with the current project. I am hoping that WB justs let this project die like they did with the Burton/Cage version. I don't want to see another director brought in to salvage this piece of junk.

15. Adam_ME

Adam_ME Supporting Actor

Don't forget Peters is also the guy who wanted polar bears guarding the Fortress of Solitude, a gay robot sidekick for Brainiac, and actually thought Justin Timberlake would make a good Jimmy Olsen. Oh, and let's not overlook the fact that dude is FREAKING ILLITERATE!!! No wonder he loved J.J. Abrams' script so much. He had no idea what it was about. I'd still like someone to explain how this idiot is pulling a paycheck.

16. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Where are all these "direct" quotes coming from? Is it all just scuttlebutt or what?

17. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Cinematographer

18. Luis S

Luis S Supporting Actor

Patrick,have you been following this train wreck at all?!?! [​IMG] We're not making this stuff up,he has been quoted and the script by Abrams has been on the net.Just go to superherohype.com or aintitcool for the whole story,look in their archives. The bashing and fan outcry is COMPLETELY justified. Peters needs to be given the boot. As I recall his giant spider wound up in that great movie...Wild Wild West! So would you want him in charge of Superman? I dont think so.....

Luis S

19. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Guys, I would suggest y'all take a breath, get some perspective on this project because it'll take probably almost another decade before the film ever shows up at the theaters. Subjecting yourselves to the daily nuggets of perceived idiocy isn't the most healthy of pasttimes. I realize there's a rubber-necking quality to the whole process of bringing the next Superman film to the big screen, but just get some distance from it, and it won't give you a premature ulcer.

20. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

Oh, but I WANT an ulcer, Patrick! [​IMG]