What's new

Rating the great steakhouses (1 Viewer)

Shawn C

Screenwriter
There's a place in the Norfolk, VA area that has steaks in a freezer that you pick out and cook yourself.
That's called "The Grate Steak". I don't know if the one in Hampton, VA over by the Coliseum is still there or not. I went there with my parents quite a few times when I was a kid.

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
BERNS !!!! Nothing else matters... Although we do have a local place in Annapolis called Lewne's thats pretty slick (right next door to a Ruth's Chris !) Any MD'ers should check it out.

Scott_G

Second Unit
If your in the Raleigh NC area
http://www.angusbarn.com/
I've eaten at the local Ruth Chris's and the one in Orlando.
Great steak but I'd give it an 8.5 - 9, not a 10.
Sullivan’s here in Raleigh and Morton’s in Atlanta and Chicago are better in my opinion.
I've been meaning to get to Peter Lugers in NY; I tried Smith and Wollensky in Manhattan a few years back. Waiter recommended the sirloin, it was just OK.

Dave E H

Supporting Actor
A second rec for the Metropolitan Grill ins Seattle. Skip Ruth Chris - if you're in Seattle, the Metropolitan Grill is the place to get your steak.

In SF< try Harris' on Van Ness. Great place & have their own buther shop on the premises so you can walk in and get your own steak to grill at home.

The problem with most grocery store beef is that it is rarely Prime. Don't get me wrong it's not bad but it certainly is not Prime.
That's true. Also, most great steak houses dry age their meat - intensifing the flavor & tenderizes them as they age (14-21 days usually). Some high end grocers now do this as well (Whole Foods comes to mind.) The other big difference is the equipment - some of these places use broilers that get far hotter than an outdoor grill or home broiler.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Does anybody here eat their steak rare? If so, what are some of the steak houses mentioned have great rare steak?

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
There is this Restaurant in a Barn north of Bloomington Indiana where the steak obscures the entire plate & it's a big plate.
Maybe some Hoosiers out there can help name it.

It was about 14 years ago but it ruled!
I remember them keeping the red wine in a frig...But the steak rules and that is the only thing that counts in a steak house (salad, side dish, wine...pshawwww..they take up room for the steak)

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
A second rec for the Metropolitan Grill ins Seattle. Skip Ruth Chris - if you're in Seattle, the Metropolitan Grill is the place to get your steak.
They aren't bad but seattle and san francisco aren't 'steak cities'
Try the palace steak house on army street, great steak for under $10!!!
For $50 bucks it'll be great if a naked supermodel brings it to me

Dave E H

Supporting Actor
They aren't bad but seattle and san francisco aren't 'steak cities'
Chicago is the king when it comes to great steakhouses per capita, but I think that Harris's and the Metropolitan grill are quite good nonetheless. I'd also mention Alfred's (I like it because it's so quaint) in the financial district & Izzy's in the Marina - that's just a fun place to go. I still think Harris's is the best around here, but willing to hear other opinions.

Mark Lee

Second Unit
It just warms the cockles of my heart to see all the Peter Luger's testimonials on this thread.... I've been living in L.A. for the past 2 years, and one of the things I miss most about my time in NYC is the porterhouse at Peter Luger's. (With a platter of beefsteak tomatoes and raw onions to start, and a heaping plate of well-browned potatoes and onions alongside, washed down with several mugs of Brooklyn Lager....ahhhh, pass the Lipitor....:)) And the best part, the thing that separates the men from the boys (or at least, the true carnivores from the wannabes), is the pool of melted beef fat, juices, and I'm pretty sure, butter, that collects at one end of the serving platter after the waiter props the platter up at one end with an overturned saucer. Grab your spoons, boys! It's time to drink the elixir of life!!
Nothing I've had before or since compares.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
There are a lot of very good places for steak here in Dallas, including the usual upscale chains. Even so, I consider Peter Luger’s in New York, the best (and its not too close).

Does anybody here eat their steak rare? If so, what are some of the steak houses mentioned have great rare steak?
All of the ones with which I am familiar serve steaks rare and they will be great. Otherwise what’s the point? For me the only debate is the one between rare and medium-rare. I slightly prefer the warm center of medium-rare as opposed to the cool center of rare. But in any place that is not likely to really know how to cook steaks, I always order rare.

Alex S

Second Unit
From Zagats:

PETER LUGER STEAK HOUSE
Williamsburg
178 Broadway (Driggs Ave.) Brooklyn, NY, 11211-6131 (718) 387-7400
"No one argues about" this one: "steak doesn't get any better" than at Williamsburg's "cash-only" "landmark", NY's No.1 red meatery for 18 years running; "carnivores" consider it a "nostalgic" "pleasure to be mistreated by gruff, old-time waiters" and note its basic German beer hall decor is all the better for "concentrating on" the main event: porterhouse "like buttah" in "cow-and-a-half"-per-person portions - and "don't forget" the "oh-my-god" sides.

Micah Lloyd

Stunt Coordinator
I ate at Morton's in Palm Springs (Palm Desert, actually) over the weekend and was disappointed. Like Brian Perry, I feel the best part of the meal was the $10 lobster bisque. The veggies were mediocre and the steak didn't hold a candle to Ruth's Chris...

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
I've been to the Ruth's Chris in Las Vegas and the steak was good but not obviously better than your nearest Outback. (I'm not knocking the Outback, I like their steaks.) But for a good steak in Las Vegas, there's a quiet little place in Circus Circus called "The Steak House".

Users who are viewing this thread