Rating the great steakhouses

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Perry, Jul 23, 2002.

1. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

Over the past several years I've tried to rate the many Chicagoland steakhouses by always getting the same items:
    Bread/rolls
    Fried calamari or shrimp cocktail
    Caesar salad
    Small filet mignon w/mushrooms
    Garlic mashed potatoes
    I also make a note of the ambience of the restaurant and the service. Here are the results of my quest to find the perfect steakhouse:
    Best bread/rolls: Pete Miller's Steakhouse (Evanston, IL). While many places give you cold (and seemingly recycled) rolls, the bread at Pete Miller's is hot from the oven and infused with a light layer of garlic butter. I always have to be careful not to fill up on the bread. Honorable mention: Sullivan's Steakhouse (Naperville, IL).
    Best calamari/shrimp: Kinzie Street Chophouse (Chicago, IL). It seems rare to get perfectly cooked calamari (it's often overcooked and rubbery) but Kinzie's are nicely seasoned and have perfect texture. They also have a nice remoulade sauce to dip them in. Honorable mention: the shrimp "dijon" at Chicago Prime (Schaumburg, IL).
    Best Caesar salad: Chicago Chophouse (Chicago, IL). I like anchovies and lots of garlic on my Caesar, and this one never disappoints. Honorable mention: Joe's Prime Steak and Seafood (Chicago, IL).
    Best steak (small filet): Sullivan's Steakhouse (Naperville, IL). The crust has a nice peppery taste without being too aggressive. Honorable mentions: Gene & Georgetti (Chicago, IL) and Magnum's (Oak Brook, IL).
    Best mashed potatoes: Tavern on Rush (Chicago, IL). I went to this steakhouse only because I couldn't get into Gibson's one night, and I was very pleasantly surprised (in fact, I would rate TOR better than the overrated Gibson's in almost every respect.) For their mashed potatoes, they offer three varieties: garlic, horseradish, and wasabi! Honorable mention: Pete Miller's.
    As far as service, they all have been very good, except for Gene & Georgetti's (two bad experiences) and Smith & Wollensky (Chicago, IL). At S&W, one of my clients ordered the "special" Porterhouse, only to have it served raw in the center. After sending it back to be heated a bit more, it came back black -- as if they had hit it with one of those creme brulee torches. And then I saw the darn thing cost $64.95!
    To summarize, I think no one does a great job at everything but most are very enjoyable. My overall favorites are Sullivan's, Pete Miller's, and Joe's Prime Seafood and Steak. My least favorite (or most overrated) are Gibson's, Gene & Georgetti's, and Ruth's Chris.
    Any other steakhouse connoisseurs out there?

2. SteveA

SteveA Supporting Actor

I haven't heard of most of the steakhouses you mentioned, but I have eaten in two Ruth's Chris restaurants, one here in Richmond, VA and one in San Diego. They were both outstanding! If you rank Ruth Chris at the bottom, then MAN I need to try some of those other places!

They are supposed to open a Morton's of Chicago here soon. I can't wait to try it.

3. Larry Price

Larry Price Stunt Coordinator

Try Peter Luger's in Brooklyn, NY

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Or McKormick & Schmick's in downtown Los Angeles.

5. Tim Kilbride

Tim Kilbride Stunt Coordinator

The best place in New Orleans, hands down...
    Charlie's Steakhouse
    No menus, hole in the wall, been open for over 60years.
    They only serve Small/Large TBone or a 8oz, Filet, Potatoes AuGratin, Braised/Buttered Mushrooms, Garlic Bread, and 1/2 head of lettuce (salad)...
    No hype, No bullshit, just great steaks.
    PS Don't even ask for steak sauce, they will throw you out!!!
    Ruth's Chris started here and is still one of the best steak experiences....
    TK-
    [​IMG]

6. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

7. DaveBB

DaveBB Supporting Actor

I've been to many a steakhouse in my time but I still think that Ruth's Chris is the best. Just because they are a chain doesn't mean they are bad.

8. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

Ponderosa! [​IMG]

9. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

I've heard Morton's is quite the place in Chicago albeit expensive.
    Now in Tulsa, We have several places for great steak.
    Jamils(been around for ages), 6oz filet + 5 courses for $9.99 isn't too bad [​IMG]
    Mahogany, same money as Morton's. Haven't tried it yet.
    I'm still thinking so I'll probably come back and edit this post.

10. Dheiner

Dheiner Gazoo

John Dhein
    Some of my favorites are Jake's, in Milwaukee; St. Elmo's, in Indy; and Deirdorf & Hart's in St. Louis.

11. eric holm

eric holm Stunt Coordinator

My vote goes to Ruth Chris as well. I've been to a number of top-rated steakhouses (LG's in Palm Springs, The Ringside in Portland, The Palm in Denver) and as far as I can tell, the only reason Ruth Chris doesn't sit on top of every list is because it's a chain.

Another good one is El Gaucho.

I've been to the Morton's in Portland a few times and it has always been a highly disapointing experience. Food was fine but it just takes sooooo long to have a complete dinner.

12. Joseph Hoetzl

Score another vote for Peter Luger...whoa!

13. Matt Heebner

Matt Heebner Stunt Coordinator

Here in Wisconsin, Coerper's is hands down the best place in Milwaukee for steaks, and probably one of the top places in the mid-west. I also have to give a huge thumbs up to The Farmsted in Cedarburg. They have this garlic-crusted black angus cut that is truely amazing. A very tender cut, with a garlic crust, it literally melts in your mouth. There are some other good places, but these are the two best.

Matt

14. Ari

Ari Stunt Coordinator

Another vote for Peter Luger. It's totally inaccessible, they don't take credit cards, no tablecloth, mean waiters and a pretty sparse menu -- all they have is steak for two, steak for three or steak for four. Other steakhouse's "juicy" steaks seem to be "wet" instead of "juicy".

15. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

When once in Indianapolis, I tried Shula's. Actually, not sure whether it was Shula's or some other football coach. I was a little leery of any chain that was named after a football coach.

However, I was very surprised by the quality of the food. My filet was melt-in-your-mouth and flavorful. The asparagus was perfectly steamed. The Ceasar was crisp and fresh. The service was attentive without being intrusive. And the interior/ambience was good-ol'-boy style, but I dug it after a while.

Fortunately, my V.P. picked up the ~$900 tab...that would have been tough to float that expense report by accounting.

Brian, I envy you. Chicago, my favorite city. They just have too many damn good restaraunts for a guy to visit them all.

16. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman
    Shula's is good. Been to the one here.

But give me Bern's Steakhouse. It's damn expensive, but it's not just dinner, it's an experience.

It's one of the two places that the sportswriters love to visit and write about when the Super Bowl comes to town.

The other being a stip club.

17. Brian_J

Brian_J Second Unit

Ruth's Chris cannot hold a candle to Chops in Atlanta, GA. The steak literally melts in your mouth. mmmmm...steak.

Brian

18. Howard Williams

Howard Williams Supporting Actor

You know what? I've been wanting that ultimate steak dinner for about 20 years now. I'm a huge meat & potatoes man...literally. Ha !! I always chicken out and say, "Man, I could buy 8 good steaks at Albertson's for the price of one of those top notch steaks at a fancy steakhouse". Value has always been important to me. Why pay 10x the normal price to get an incredible steak vs. a pretty good one? The correct answer is, "Why not?", since you're only gonna do that every blue moon. I actually made a reservation at Morton's in San Diego (recommended by many at work) but then chicken-ed out at the last moment.

Well ladies & gentlemen, I'm finally ready to take that plunge, but I won't be going to Morton's. In San Diego the top dog for steak seems to be Donovan's. I'm very tempted to try that McCormick & Schicks that Jack Briggs mentioned. Both are about the same distance but I figure there's less traffic getting in and outta Donovans in San Diego. Gonna surprise the wife and take her there next month. She doesn't even really like steak but.....I read every "Great Steak House" thread I see. It's good to see there are many choices in America for that ultimate steak.

To date the most I've spent on a steak was $22.00 at Claim Jumpers. Yeah, I'm kinda cheap when it comes to food. A huge porterhouse for sure but nothing special. I've made better at home. I expect to pay about $60.00 per person when I go out. That's about my limit. I can't imagine a steak being worth more.

Just one more thing. Dress codes always deter me. If a suit and tie are required or even preferred, I usually won't go. Casual dining is very important to me.

Keep those recs a coming.

19. Aaron Copeland

Aaron Copeland Second Unit

Aaron

20. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

Maybe I was too hard on Ruth's Chris -- I did have a nice meal at their Maui restaurant when I was on my honeymoon.

As far as Morton's, I will say they have the best lobster bisque-- but it's $10.