What's new

Rating the great steakhouses (1 Viewer)

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
Over the past several years I've tried to rate the many Chicagoland steakhouses by always getting the same items:
Bread/rolls
Fried calamari or shrimp cocktail
Caesar salad
Small filet mignon w/mushrooms
Garlic mashed potatoes
I also make a note of the ambience of the restaurant and the service. Here are the results of my quest to find the perfect steakhouse:
Best bread/rolls: Pete Miller's Steakhouse (Evanston, IL). While many places give you cold (and seemingly recycled) rolls, the bread at Pete Miller's is hot from the oven and infused with a light layer of garlic butter. I always have to be careful not to fill up on the bread. Honorable mention: Sullivan's Steakhouse (Naperville, IL).
Best calamari/shrimp: Kinzie Street Chophouse (Chicago, IL). It seems rare to get perfectly cooked calamari (it's often overcooked and rubbery) but Kinzie's are nicely seasoned and have perfect texture. They also have a nice remoulade sauce to dip them in. Honorable mention: the shrimp "dijon" at Chicago Prime (Schaumburg, IL).
Best Caesar salad: Chicago Chophouse (Chicago, IL). I like anchovies and lots of garlic on my Caesar, and this one never disappoints. Honorable mention: Joe's Prime Steak and Seafood (Chicago, IL).
Best steak (small filet): Sullivan's Steakhouse (Naperville, IL). The crust has a nice peppery taste without being too aggressive. Honorable mentions: Gene & Georgetti (Chicago, IL) and Magnum's (Oak Brook, IL).
Best mashed potatoes: Tavern on Rush (Chicago, IL). I went to this steakhouse only because I couldn't get into Gibson's one night, and I was very pleasantly surprised (in fact, I would rate TOR better than the overrated Gibson's in almost every respect.) For their mashed potatoes, they offer three varieties: garlic, horseradish, and wasabi! Honorable mention: Pete Miller's.
As far as service, they all have been very good, except for Gene & Georgetti's (two bad experiences) and Smith & Wollensky (Chicago, IL). At S&W, one of my clients ordered the "special" Porterhouse, only to have it served raw in the center. After sending it back to be heated a bit more, it came back black -- as if they had hit it with one of those creme brulee torches. And then I saw the darn thing cost $64.95!
To summarize, I think no one does a great job at everything but most are very enjoyable. My overall favorites are Sullivan's, Pete Miller's, and Joe's Prime Seafood and Steak. My least favorite (or most overrated) are Gibson's, Gene & Georgetti's, and Ruth's Chris.
Any other steakhouse connoisseurs out there?

SteveA

Supporting Actor
I haven't heard of most of the steakhouses you mentioned, but I have eaten in two Ruth's Chris restaurants, one here in Richmond, VA and one in San Diego. They were both outstanding! If you rank Ruth Chris at the bottom, then MAN I need to try some of those other places!

They are supposed to open a Morton's of Chicago here soon. I can't wait to try it.

Tim Kilbride

Stunt Coordinator
The best place in New Orleans, hands down...
Charlie's Steakhouse
No menus, hole in the wall, been open for over 60years.
They only serve Small/Large TBone or a 8oz, Filet, Potatoes AuGratin, Braised/Buttered Mushrooms, Garlic Bread, and 1/2 head of lettuce (salad)...
No hype, No bullshit, just great steaks.
PS Don't even ask for steak sauce, they will throw you out!!!
Ruth's Chris started here and is still one of the best steak experiences....
TK-
:emoji_thumbsup:

KyleS

Screenwriter
McKormick & Schmick's
The one in Vegas is pretty darn good too. :emoji_thumbsup:
I have to agree with SteveA here either you had a bad experience at Ruth's Chris, or its too expensive for your pocket book because the 2 I have also been to were top notch. Expensive yes but the meat simply melted in my mouth.
KyleS

DaveBB

Supporting Actor
I've been to many a steakhouse in my time but I still think that Ruth's Chris is the best. Just because they are a chain doesn't mean they are bad.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
I've heard Morton's is quite the place in Chicago albeit expensive.
Now in Tulsa, We have several places for great steak.
Jamils(been around for ages), 6oz filet + 5 courses for $9.99 isn't too bad ;)
Mahogany, same money as Morton's. Haven't tried it yet.
I'm still thinking so I'll probably come back and edit this post.

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
Some of my favorites are Jake's, in Milwaukee; St. Elmo's, in Indy; and Deirdorf & Hart's in St. Louis.

eric holm

Stunt Coordinator
My vote goes to Ruth Chris as well. I've been to a number of top-rated steakhouses (LG's in Palm Springs, The Ringside in Portland, The Palm in Denver) and as far as I can tell, the only reason Ruth Chris doesn't sit on top of every list is because it's a chain.

Another good one is El Gaucho.

I've been to the Morton's in Portland a few times and it has always been a highly disapointing experience. Food was fine but it just takes sooooo long to have a complete dinner.

Matt Heebner

Stunt Coordinator
Here in Wisconsin, Coerper's is hands down the best place in Milwaukee for steaks, and probably one of the top places in the mid-west. I also have to give a huge thumbs up to The Farmsted in Cedarburg. They have this garlic-crusted black angus cut that is truely amazing. A very tender cut, with a garlic crust, it literally melts in your mouth. There are some other good places, but these are the two best.

Matt

Ari

Stunt Coordinator
Another vote for Peter Luger. It's totally inaccessible, they don't take credit cards, no tablecloth, mean waiters and a pretty sparse menu -- all they have is steak for two, steak for three or steak for four. Other steakhouse's "juicy" steaks seem to be "wet" instead of "juicy".

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
When once in Indianapolis, I tried Shula's. Actually, not sure whether it was Shula's or some other football coach. I was a little leery of any chain that was named after a football coach.

However, I was very surprised by the quality of the food. My filet was melt-in-your-mouth and flavorful. The asparagus was perfectly steamed. The Ceasar was crisp and fresh. The service was attentive without being intrusive. And the interior/ambience was good-ol'-boy style, but I dug it after a while.

Fortunately, my V.P. picked up the ~$900 tab...that would have been tough to float that expense report by accounting.

Brian, I envy you. Chicago, my favorite city. They just have too many damn good restaraunts for a guy to visit them all.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
Shula's is good. Been to the one here.

But give me Bern's Steakhouse. It's damn expensive, but it's not just dinner, it's an experience.

It's one of the two places that the sportswriters love to visit and write about when the Super Bowl comes to town.

The other being a stip club.

Brian_J

Second Unit
Ruth's Chris cannot hold a candle to Chops in Atlanta, GA. The steak literally melts in your mouth. mmmmm...steak.

Brian

Howard Williams

Supporting Actor
You know what? I've been wanting that ultimate steak dinner for about 20 years now. I'm a huge meat & potatoes man...literally. Ha !! I always chicken out and say, "Man, I could buy 8 good steaks at Albertson's for the price of one of those top notch steaks at a fancy steakhouse". Value has always been important to me. Why pay 10x the normal price to get an incredible steak vs. a pretty good one? The correct answer is, "Why not?", since you're only gonna do that every blue moon. I actually made a reservation at Morton's in San Diego (recommended by many at work) but then chicken-ed out at the last moment.

Well ladies & gentlemen, I'm finally ready to take that plunge, but I won't be going to Morton's. In San Diego the top dog for steak seems to be Donovan's. I'm very tempted to try that McCormick & Schicks that Jack Briggs mentioned. Both are about the same distance but I figure there's less traffic getting in and outta Donovans in San Diego. Gonna surprise the wife and take her there next month. She doesn't even really like steak but.....I read every "Great Steak House" thread I see. It's good to see there are many choices in America for that ultimate steak.

To date the most I've spent on a steak was $22.00 at Claim Jumpers. Yeah, I'm kinda cheap when it comes to food. A huge porterhouse for sure but nothing special. I've made better at home. I expect to pay about $60.00 per person when I go out. That's about my limit. I can't imagine a steak being worth more.

Just one more thing. Dress codes always deter me. If a suit and tie are required or even preferred, I usually won't go. Casual dining is very important to me.

Keep those recs a coming.

Aaron Copeland

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron
Another vote for Peter Luger. It's totally inaccessible, they don't take credit cards, no tablecloth, mean waiters and a pretty sparse menu -- all they have is steak for two, steak for three or steak for four.
Hmmm...this Luger restaurant sounds almost exactly like a place here in Fayetteville, AR, called Doe's. All they have on their menus is giant steaks meant to be eaten by two or more people. The side dishes are very limited. Generally steaks just come with a bowl of boiled red potatoes with virtually no seasoning (that I can detect) and some sort of fried bread. Very simple dishes, but the quality of the steaks (also unseasoned) is fantastic.

The other great local place, as mentioned in the Chinese food thread, is called Herman's. It's in some old looking house right on one of the main highways through town. I used to think the place was abandoned until I noticed that quite expensive vehicles were often parked outside on the weekends. I've never actually made it this place before.

I usually just end up eating at Outback when out with friends. I like the seasoning on their steaks and love their rice.

Aaron

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
Maybe I was too hard on Ruth's Chris -- I did have a nice meal at their Maui restaurant when I was on my honeymoon.

As far as Morton's, I will say they have the best lobster bisque-- but it's $10.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks