What's new

Rate your own speakers...honestly! (1 Viewer)

Benihana

Stunt Coordinator
Preamp/Receiver: Yamaha RX-V870, makes a great preamp and has a pretty good amp section on its own. Love the looks.

Amps - Two Audiosource AmpThree's, running vertical biamping. Great amps, power my speakers with effortless energy, although i'm a strong believer in (all amps sound the same) theory.

Speakers = Mirage M-3si, the heart of my system, they have effortless deep bass and very extended highs. All around great speaker with an ENOURMOUS soundstage, my room sux though.

DAC - Soundstream DAC-1, pretty good dac, not feeling the need to upgrade it, it does its job.

CD player = Yamaha cdc-655, i wanted disc changing capability and digital output, this gave it to me, and at a great price.

Sub = 230L sealed Adire Tempest, 2nd best part of my system, DEEEEEEEEEEEEEP BASS and GREAT SLAM, i don't use it for music though, my room sux.

I pretty much am not going to upgrade anymore, i'm finally satisfied with my system, and my room will denature any upgrade , only 11x11x8, and recommended speaker position for my speakers is 3feet from front walls, 5 feet from side, and sit 1.5 times as far as the speakers are apart, YEAH, like thats gonna happen.

James_Welch

Agent
Thanks Leigh-I do love my VRs.

I have been driving a friend of mine at work (He used to be a in the Hifi/HT biz) crazy lately with the lack of value in CC speakers.

Not only is the CRC not in the same league as the VR’s but they are also being powered buy a very inferior amp so I should take that into account. Also it does not help that my CC set on top of my TV which is about 5’ off the floor.

Well, here's my setup, for what it's worth.

Yamaha DSP-A1 integrated amp, 110 watts to 5 channels, plus 2 front effect channels.

NHT Evolution T5s for mains. These things are amazing. Not the greatest speakers I've ever heard, but they also didn't cost $20,000 a pair. If you've never heard the NHT Evolution line (or their "super" series) I highly recommend checking them out. They're extremely clean and detailed, and most reviewers call them "honest" in that they don't introduce much coloring of their own. The T5s are made up of an M5 speaker for mids and highs, and then a B5 bass unit for the low end. The B5's come with their own amp and crossover unit, and you effectively get two 12 inch subs when you have these towers. The T6 setup is even better, but for my money, I like the T5's. The only downside is that setup is complicated and the bass units aren't magnetically shielded, so you have to keep them far away from a tube tv.

NHT M5 for a center. It matches the T5s perfectly. Great speaker all around.

Paradigm ADP 170s for surrounds. I need to replace these with two more M5s, but I like the dipole sound and they are the remnants of a Paradigm setup that I had for over 10 years. The 170s are good. Not a full range speaker, but they do the job for surrounds.

I also have two Paradigm micros for the front effect speakers. These are good for what they do, but I wouldn't use them for mains unless it was in a small bookshelf situation. I've heard that they're a little sloppy with bass, but I've never used them in a situation where they pull much low end, so I donn't know.

I also have two of the old-style Paradigm Phantom speakers and a CC-300 that I need to sell sometime. They were wonderful when I was in college, and perfect in an apartment, but the 300 really didn't match the sound of the Phantoms.

I desperately want to get a Yamaha RX-Z9 unit, but it's way out of my reach right now. I'll probably move to separates eventually, but I like the ease and functionality of a receiver.

GregLMoore

Auditioning
I have NHT Super 1s in my current setup (go to the Theater pics page & look up my name to see it). Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on how you look at it) we've sold the house and everything is coming out of my room except the speakers....sooooo now I have to find a new set, on a slightly limited budget...probably shooting for between 600 and 1000. Any suggestions welcome.

Greg Moore

Jesse Sharrow

Supporting Actor
James: I also am very happy with my VR-950's. I agree for under $1000 and I even think some speakers over $1000... they are a great value. What I want to do is use them as surround backs, then get VRMX's for sides and VRM80's as mains, and a VRMC. :D

The VRMC is next after my PC-Ultra. Then I need to convince my wife to let me upgrade the fronts. Then when I get a dedicated HT room I will get the sides.

But I have done a head to head my speakers versus some $500 a pair klipsch's to a $2000 pair of klipsch's. I like the sound of the bostons better. I may try a head to head against kef, or infinity kappa's.

Al_Swanson

Agent
Ah, since everyone else has....
Fronts: M&K 750's - Absolutely one of my favorite speakers. I haven't heard everything, but I did my share of listening before I bought them and just can't say enough about them.
Surrounds: M&K SS150's - I originally had 750's for surrounds, too. But I got a chance to get these for essentitally those 750's and how could I pass a chance like that? Honestly, in my room, I don't know about these. I don't have the room that would let surrounds like this shine (no back wall, 22' ceilings), so sometimes I think I miss my direct-fire 750's.
Sub: M&K MX-5000MKII - (that Homer drooling sound). Are there any subs that compare? I mean, really? I have gone through my share and the 5000 is head and shoulders above everything else - and yes, I owned a SVS. Sold it for this sub. It is everything a sub should be. Never boomy, never muddled. Always rock solid.

Again, while I haven't heard everything, I am giving the M&K's a 8.5/10. If I had a more 'theater' like room, they might get a 10/10 rating, but I can't tell about the surrounds.

Oh, and I would think I am somewhat biased in this opinion, so YMMV.

Robert F.

Auditioning
My 2.1 system

Arcam Alpha 9 amp
Signet SL280EX main speakers
Yamaha YST-SW120 sub
Harmon Kardon FL8400 CD changer
Toshiba SD4800 dvd player
Kimber Cable speaker wire/interconnects

I like my system but after 12 years its time to go for a 5.1 system. Going to pick yamaha RXV-2400 or Denon AVR-3805. Waiting for dealer to get Denon so I can compare both receivers.

I like my Signet speakers but I will replace them to get a 5.1 system.

Anybody else ever had Signet speakers and what did you think of them?

ricky ho

Stunt Coordinator
preamp/processor --outlaw 950
amp's------- (7) ird mb-100's
speakers paradigm studio v2
mains--60's
center--cc
sides-- adp's
rear's--20's
subwoofer-- svs 16-46pc+
PE 120w plate amp driving 2 aura pro bass shakers
I've had this system for a couple of years and have no urge to change it. Needless to say I think it sounds great!

Bernie_A

Stunt Coordinator
HK AVR-7200
Sony DVP-725 (to be upgraded soon!)
Swans: 5.2BC Fronts
C3 Center
2.1 Diva's surround
Velodyne CT-100
Hitachi 51S500 RPTV

Overall, that Swans really excel in the vocal clarity area. Just beautiful.....especially for the $$$$. I wasn't sure how I was going to be able to live with the funky little eye-ball tweeter but they sound great so I'm starting to not even notice them anymore...just different looking. The HK is friggin awsome for the $800 I paid....cannot even begin to say how much I like it.

The Swans coupled with the HK are somewhat soft airy and very ballanced.....not too bright which I personally don't like....

I am still playing around with getting the crossovers set with either large or small setting on the fronts to the sub. The sub sucks IMO. Very boomy with little hit. SHouldn't hear a sub IMO....you should feel it.

My system update. In an earlier post I mentioned I used a Polk RT25i as a center channel speaker. I just got two more of these so now my system is complete for now.

Sony STR-DE595 receiver
Polk RT25i-center,fronts
Polk M1-rear surrounds
KLH 120watt subwoofer

I slowly pieced it together and picked up most items used. I like my fronts set to large with crossover on sub at 80,then sub kicks in when it has too. On small, the fronts sound weaker in music and movies. Im very pleased with the sound of this system in a 10'x12'room.

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
Setup has changed once again. I swear I goto stay out of my local BM. Just picked up a Paradigm CC570 to replace my CC470 as the front center. Either I sell of my 470 or I'll use it as my rear center. So now my setup consists off

Paradigm Studio 40(v3)
Paradigm Studio 20(v3)
Paradigm CC570
Paradigm CC470
Paradigm PW2100.

Kevin

Sheldon-m

Stunt Coordinator
Well my setup is half the cost of everybody here. Since it is my first system I decided to go low end in cost. To my surprise, I got more than that. I have onkyo 601.set up 6.1
Fluance
AV-5 mains
AV-SC center
AV-BP2 surrounds
and loaner sub
After breaking them in i was very surprised on how smooth they became. the center is very underrated. When buying fluance you have to get the seperates. the mains are very smooth and open. could use deeper bass but for 2 bills for a pair who could complain. they are very well built. the surrounds are great. i can't rave enough about them.

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
Magnepan and SVS:

MG1.6 (front)
MGMC1 (rear)
MGCC3 (center)
SVS PC-Ultra (sub)