What's new

Rate Your Cell Phone Service (1 Viewer)

JohnE

Supporting Actor
I'm looking to get a cell phone and I'm trying to decide on a service. If anyone wants to chime in with impressions of services you have or have had I'd appreciate it. Phone recommendations would be welcome too.

Michael Toguchi

Stunt Coordinator
I am generally happy with Sprint PCS. I used to have Qwest service (here in Phoenix) but their home coverage was terrible, and I got hit with roaming charges all the time when I went out of town.

I have the Samsung N400 phone, but I am not too happy with it. Battery life is not so good, and the reception is average. I have heard great things about the new Samsung 8100? (I think that is what it is).

E

Eric Kahn

I have Verizon, great service, last with any tech inovations, I use an old motorola star-tac, no longer made, I have no use for color screens in phones or games and hate nokia with a passion, people using nokia phones always seem to have a hollow sound when i get calls from them

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
We have both Sprint PCS and Verizon. Verizon has better coverage in some areas we travel to (such as northern Michigan), but voice quality is good with both. Sprint's customer service is not that great, though.

Chris Smith

Stunt Coordinator
We used to have AT&T wireless. It was terrible. Now we have Verizon and it's great. Well, the signal, and coverage is great. Hopefully you won't ever have to talk to thier support people. Terrible customer support.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I'm looking to get a cell phone and I'm trying to decide on a service. If anyone wants to chime in with impressions of services you have or have had I'd appreciate it.
I'm sure all reactions are useful, but you really need reactions from people in your particular location. Cell coverage can vary widely from place to place. For example, if you're in New York City, Verizon has far and away the best coverage, but that isn't necessarily the case elsewhere.

M.

Andrej Dolenc

Stunt Coordinator
I've been with Sprint PCS for a while now and am happy with them. They're expanding their network bigtime, despite everything you hear they're improving their customer support - they resolved all of my issues promptly. I have a Sanyo 6400 phone, super slim fone. The Sanyo fones have the reputation of having the best reception among the fones sprint offers. The sanyo certainly does better than the last fone I had.

As a new customer, you'll get great offers and great deals from any company. Look for an offer that will knock down $$ off the price of the fone or get you one flat out free.

Andrej

Steve Zatkoff

Stunt Coordinator
I have been with Verizon for over 4 years and the covergage with the Americas Choice plan is second to none. I have found their customer support people to be friendly, knowlegable and they seem to have the ability to take care of issues without having to involve a manager.

Good Luck,

Steve

LDfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeffrey
my wife and I have been with Cingular for years. They have gotten better over time but they seem to be dead last as far as technology is concerned. They still don't have any color phones available except for a low end Nokia.
Looks like we may consider Verizon when our contract is up.

Jeff

Noah Gottula

Stunt Coordinator
Well John, I live in Seattle as well. I use Sprint and have been happy 100%, customer service has always been great for me. I also have friends in the area who use Verizon and Cingular as well and they are also happy, so I think if you choose either of those 3 you should be ok. Coverage around the Puget Sound area seems about the same, although Verizon seems to have a little more coverage around the west side of the Sound, but Sprint always seems to sound a little better to me.

David-S

Second Unit
Might I suggest www.howardforums.com you can do a search on your area, and find out info about all the carriers! (warning, they're a bit, ummm, into their cell phones over there ;) )

Jeff: Just so you know, Cingular in DC should be upgrading their network soon (ie: now, but it's not online yet), to GSM, which provides more ability for data, and will have a lot of new, "cooler" phones w/ all the camera/color stuff etc...

(type in zip 19702 at cingular.com for an idea of what phones will be available)

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
Out here in the sticks, Verizon seems to be the best for me. My area is notorious for dead spots and Verizon seems to have the fewest of them. Plus, all the ladies dig the sexy little Motorola LG3100 phone I have :)

Customer service also isn't a problem since the Verizon service is being pimped out by my wonderful local phone co-op. Any problems and I can drive right up the road to bitch to a real-live person...

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Well, I'm in Canuckland, so my service provider will pretty much be meaningless. ;)

I currently use a Motorola "TimePort". Basically a silver StarTac with a green-on-black screen. Screen isn't the best I've owned (and can be hard to see in direct sun) but it's by far the clearest sounding phone I've ever had. I *DO* wish it had a couple of the more modern options, like voice-activated dialing, but on the whole, I'm happy with it. :)

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
Chalk up another one for Verizon ... had it for about 4 years and will not switch. They do not have the fanciest phones but their service is great .. never really had a problem with cutoff calls.

And during the Blackout here in NYC last week it was the only provider that did not go down.

JohnE

Supporting Actor
Well, right now I'm leaning towards Verizon. I stopped by their mall kiosk today and the guy did a pretty god job of selling me on their service. That and the endorsements from here kind of sealed the deal for me. Now I just have to decide how much I want to spend on a phone.

Thanks for the help.:emoji_thumbsup:

Bob Graz

Supporting Actor
I've had Sprint PCS for nearly 4 years and am very satisfied with the coverage. I agree their customer service is lacking. Fortunately I haven't needed to talk with them in quite some time. Just as an FYI, I use to keep my 2 phones in a mode where they would auto analog roam when outside PCS service (either due to no coverage or obstructions) and both my telephone numbers were pirated. It took 6 months or so to eventually get billing straightened out and I had to get 2 new numbers. After that I do not let either of my phones go into analog roam to avoid that situation from ocurring. If I need to analog roam I'll turn it on for that instance.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks