rate this Sound Dynamics sub please

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BradK, Mar 13, 2002.

1. BradK

BradK Stunt Coordinator

I recently bought Energy's Encore system minus their sub. My new wife had a Sound Dynamics THS-1000 that I have hooked up with the Encores. The salesman said its a decent sub, but I would like your opinion on it. I can find little info on it anywhere on net. I'm wondering if it's an ok compliment to the Encores in a 15ftx15ft room. Has anyone heard of it? It seems to sound kinda boomy to me, but I have yet to calibrate things yet. I'm wondering if I should start saving for a new one, or if I should have got the one offered in the Encore Package.

2. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

In a squarish room, *boomy* might be more due to modal patterns(standing waves that form between parallel boundaries affecting frequency response at the listening position) than the sub. Experiment with placement as much as possible...and be sure to calibrate the whole system with a SPL meter too.

If you have the AVIA setup DVD, you should be able to get a good idea of the frequency response using a SPL meter too,

TV

3. Craig Morris

Craig Morris Stunt Coordinator

I may be mistaken, but I think the THS-1000 is the same as the RTS-1000...
    http://sound-dynamics.com/
    This in turn was the same sub as the Energy ES-10 and the Mirage FrX-S10 (or whatever it was called). All three companies, plus Athena, are owned by Audio Products International.