1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Rate these features

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Allen Longcor, Nov 8, 2001.

1. Allen Longcor

Allen Longcor Supporting Actor

I'm going to purchase a new receiver in the future and wanted some input on what features I should look for or are must haves. I know that some of these are personal preferences, but that's what I'm looking for. What do you guys look for in a receiver?
    Dolby Digital 6.1
    Dolby Pro Logic II
    DTS (6.1?)
    EX
    I'm wondering if I should go with a 6.1 now since I won't use it for awhile even if I had it (no money for a new speaker. Also, what type of speaker is ideal for rear center or are they producing rear speakers now). Basically I want to know if I should go with the Pro Logic II and Dolby 6.1. I'm trying to keep the receiver under $500 if possible. Thanks in advance.

2. Thomas Lang

Thomas Lang Extra

For me the biggest selling point would be DTS ES (both matrixed and discreet) without a doubt and then Dolby Digital EX. DPLII would be a nice feature also but over 90% of my software is 5.1 so that would come last.
    Just for the record Dolby Digital EX is not 6.1 but 5.1 (the rear channel is not discreet).
    Being from Denmark it's hard to give any advice as to which receiver to buy but the Denon 2802 seems like at nice piece of hardware. If the 2802 doesn't fit the bill the 1802 still got DPLII!
    Hope this helped just a bit!
    Thomas Lang

3. Bhagi Katbamna

Bhagi Katbamna Supporting Actor