Ratchet and Clank gets great review

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by paul h, Nov 4, 2002.

1. paul h

paul h Supporting Actor

Gamespot have given it a 9.0
    Good to read that Insomniac have delivered [​IMG]
    "The team at Insomniac did a fantastic job of balancing the game between various types of combat and standard platforming action, and the overall design sidesteps most of the common platformer failings really, really well. Anyone looking for a lengthy platformer will find a lot to like here, and fans of third-person shooters will also have a lot of fun with the game due to its heavy focus on various outrageous projectile weapons. Ratchet & Clank is certainly a fantastic platformer in every way and qualifies as one of the best games the genre has seen since consoles went polygonal."

2. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

This is one that I have been looking forward to and it looks great. I believe since this one is only $39.99 as well which makes me very happy!

3. dave_brogli

dave_brogli Screenwriter

I have the demo (my friend got it from his work for me) and I played it a couple times. Very fun game. You run around catching bolts and nuts. My only gripe is the camera. It seems funny, just not the way a game like this should play. Make sense? LoL Youll see when you play it.
    Well besides that VERY VERY fun.

4. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

I played the in-store demo of Ratchet & Clank and was quite impressed by the graphics and gameplay. The draw distance and sheer height and scope of the futuristic "5th Element"-esque backgrounds is stunning. The array of weaponry is mindboggling, the animation is a joy to watch and the controls are butter smooth.

yet another platformer for me to pick up... I'm still playing Jak&Daxter and Sly Cooper!

~j

5. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I skipped out on J&D and Sly, but I'll probably grab Ratchet and Clank because it seems to stand out from the rest (and is the most recent one).

Sorry, I just can't get all of them. Gotta pick and choose.

6. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

Morgan,
    You should find a used copy of Jak and Daxter on the cheap. It's a really good game. It's one of the few that I have finished this year...

7. GlenHaag

GlenHaag Supporting Actor

Jak and Daxter was one of those games that I picked up for myself, yet my wife is the only in the house who has played it. [​IMG]
    She just grabbed it when I got it, and played it all the way through to the finish. Eventually I'll give it a try myself...
    Glen

8. Rob Speicher

Rob Speicher Supporting Actor

Can't believe there isn't more discussion on this. It's sort of a sleeper that I'm sure got hidden under the wave of great releases lately.

I rented it today and it's fantastic. Not sure yet if it warrants a purchase. I've got plenty of time to beat it, but I'll have to see how the replay value is.

Great game, go get it.

9. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Christmas list. I don't have enough spare cash, so that's where it's going.

10. JoshF

JoshF Supporting Actor

I'll get this game in time. I just have absolutely no more time for more games. Right now I'm playing:

Kingdom Hearts (should be done with this in a week or two)
    SOCOM (still play this online all the time)
    Everquest Online Adventures (beta testing)
    Contra
    GTA: Vice City

I also have Suikoden 3 in the wrapper to be played after I finish some of the above games.

I still need to get Sly Cooper and Ratchet & Clank.

11. Chris Rock

Chris Rock Supporting Actor

Dupe

12. Chris Rock

Chris Rock Supporting Actor

This game is great, although my wife grabbed the controller from me after 5 minutes.

13. DeanWalsh

DeanWalsh Second Unit

It's funny that people compain about the camera system in this game, as they did with Jak & Daxter. I find the fact that you have complete control over the camera with the right analog stick negates this. The more I got used to this control setup, I started actually getting more creative with the camera as I was playing which made it a more interactive & cinematic experience. Depending on how it's used you can actually make the action look much more dynamic.

14. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

Jak & Daxter is now a PS2 'Greatest Hits' title and is retailing for $19.99. No excuse not to buy it if you haven't already.
    Ratchet and Clank is the most fun I've had with a platformer in a long while.
    Although I ordinarily have nothing against name of site deleted content, I was just plain confused by its review of Ratchet & Clank that called it overlong, with pedestrian and unimaginative graphics and gameplay.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    ~j

15. Rob Speicher

I don't have a problem with the camera at all. In fact, it's one of the better cameras used in a platformer game. This is what Mario Sunshine's camera should have been.
    I'm loving every moment of the game - even the story's good and often funny. Whoever did that review, Joseph, was just plain wrong [​IMG]

16. Mitty

Mitty Supporting Actor

I picked this game up the other day. OMG am I ever addicted. I stayed up until 4 o'clock in the morning last night. :b
    It's very much like J&D, except I like it even more; the objectives seem clearer, plus you get killer weapons. My favorite trick is still the simple boomerang wrench though. [​IMG]

17. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

I had some interest in this game, mainly for Insomniac making it.
    But after seeing the commercical and finding out there is a gun that turns people into chickens...I HAVE TO PLAY THIS GAME NOW!
    Now all they need is a gun to turn them into monkeys

18. Rob Speicher

Sean: Beat the game completely and there's an even better version of that weapon. The Gold Morph-o-ray: GIANT CHICKENS!

Also if you get all the extras (gold bolts, skill points, gold weapons) you can watch the 3 commercials they made. One for the decoy glove, which I don't think they could show on TV, is hilarious.

19. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

20. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

Same thing many said about timesplitters 2..only those people were mad that the monkeys didnt have hats