What's new

RAT SHACK component video cables....(Flame retardant standing by...!) (1 Viewer)

DavidMich

Stunt Coordinator
I don't really want to incite a firestorm here, but are these Radio Shack component cables comparable to Monster 2 cables?
Am I going to see a big difference by getting better (?) cables from my DVD player to my reciever/ RPTV? (There will be a 6' run from the player to the Denon, then 6' to the Pioneer 53" RPTV).
I just don't want to have to buy a bunch of cables, and then have to return them, just to find out what difference it will make. It's just a hassle.
If anyone can comment on these, I would really appreciate it.
Thanks.....and I will stand by with the extinguisher :D

DavidMich

Stunt Coordinator
I forgot.....I am referring to the GOLD SERIES from radio Shack.

Thanks....Pin is pulled on fire tank......handle ready fo squeeze.....

Alex F.

Second Unit
As I've posted previously, in my own blind tests of 2-meter composite and S-VHS cables (using a Panasonic A310 DVD player and a Pioneer 50" RPTV), the RS Gold cables were significantly inferior to the other tested cables, which included Monster Video 2. The RS Golds exhibited lower resolution and noticeable color bleeding. The Monster Video 2's thus performed much better for very little additional cost.

Happy New Year!

greg_t

Screenwriter
My first s-video cable was from Radio Shack (basic cable, not a gold). After 6 months or so I bought a monster s-video cable and I could tell a difference, especially in color accuracy. I have also compared composite video cables from Radio Shack and Monster on my laserdisc player and the Monster was a significant improvement. I do think that Monsters are a little steep so I have since been purchasing Acoustic Research cables and have been very happy with them.

Alex F.

Second Unit
David:

One more thing to consider: The video switchers in many receivers reduce picture quality a bit (e.g., reduced resolution, added video and chroma noise). Thus, depending on your receiver's performance in this area, you may wish to consider running a direct line from the DVD player to your RPTV. My A-V preamp has an exceptional switcher, but I still run a direct line to obtain the absolutely best possible video quality.

DavidMich

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the replies, I appreciate each!

Would my Denon 3802 have what is considered a "good" vieo switcher?

greg_t

Screenwriter
Michael,
I've been using the Acoustic Research Pro series. I'm from the St. Louis area and all of the local Lowes hardware stores sell them. You can also get them online at Link Removed and Accessories4less. I've use their subwoofer cable, audio cable, and toslink cable and have been happy with them.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
David: I usually push the Radio Shack and AR Pro series cables for people with tube-type TV's.
But when you start getting to about a 50" RPTV is when I suggest moving up to better cables as you may see a difference with the larger display. Since you are above this, you qualify.
I strongly suggest you try the web sites that use HD quality coax and true 75 ohm RCA plugs. These are as good/better than the Monster 3 series of cables for a bit less than the Monster 2 prices.
Try getting quotes from www.bettercables.com Link Removed www.wickedcables.com . The all use production-studio grade coax and have fans here.
I also suggest you run straight to the TV from the DVD player. In parallel, run Radio Shack SVideo or Composite through the receiver.
There is NO reason to run video through the receiver unless you have 2 or more video sources. Your receiver will only output Component video from Component video sources.
I run Composite video from everything through my receiver. This makes the system simple to use. But I also have SVideo going straight to the TV from the DVD player and for movies I take the extra step to switch to the SVideo input on the TV.
Good luck.

Brian OK

Supporting Actor
As Alex and Bob mentioned, you should go straight from source to RPTV...... and with the money you have just saved..... you can trade up from the RS and AR ... and get some better engineered and constructed component cables.

BOK

JohnMW

Second Unit
Real Name
John
Bob, you have svideo from the dvd to the tv, and a composite video cable from the dvd to the receiver?

Please help me understand why you need this?

dougW

Stunt Coordinator
David, between all copper cables, other than connectors making a difference, your likely to not see much difference. Where the real differences begin is with the use of high resolution silver coated coax or solid silver coax. Silver is a better video conductor. Electrons for video travel at a high rate of speed, meaning they tend to migrate to the surface. That's why the surface is so important. I also tend to think having a separate coax for the ground can make a difference. But can't go further commenting there.

Lex

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
John: I have ALL video sources running composite through the receiver. Now I can leave the TV set to "see" the Composite output from the receiver and the receiver does all the audio/video switching. This makes the system easy to use for the wife/kids.

I have to do this because most receivers have 3 different kinds of inputs and it WILL NOT CONVERT from one to the other. This makes it complex because not only do I have to switch the Receiver to view a different source, I must also grab the TV remote to flip to that source as well.

This remote juggle sounds trivial, but wait until you come home and find the wife PO'd because she could not fire up the kids favorite tape because you left the TV set to see the component signal from the dvd player. Then try and sell her on a new component to add to the complexity...

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
DougW...i take it you meant the video signals tend to travel on the surface due their frequency, no? I assume the audio electrons are also pretty zippy, no? Maybe that explains the bizarre correlation of voices and mouth movements in those old kung-fu movies?

Herb Kane

Screenwriter
This remote juggle sounds trivial, but wait until you come home and find the wife PO'd because she could not fire up the kids favorite tape because you left the TV set to see the component signal from the dvd player. Then try and sell her on a new component to add to the complexity...
Bob, soooo true. I feel your pain...! :D

Mark Rich

Second Unit
Doug W,

I think you have been challenged on this seperate coax for ground issue before (cable asylum). Please explain your reasoning for this claim. Under the impression that a seperate coax for shielding changes the 75 ohm rating of the cable!

Not a good idea.It may work or it may cause problems on some systems.

bettercables is a true 75ohm design that uses silver.

BoB,

Correction. Bettercables and Catcables do NOT use broadcast coax. Bettercables used to use top of the line RG6 Canare before switching to the silver serpent cables.Wickedcables uses RG59 Belden coax and not RG6. IMO it would still give the other two a run for their money in short runs but RG6 (such as Belden 1694a) is superior over the long run.

If you want true RG6 broadcast cables then the following are some of the suppliers that do sell them :

Rhinocables.com belden 1694a

CScables.com Canare cables

Avcable.com Gepco cables

DavidMich

Stunt Coordinator
Getting warmer in here,

Preparing to deploy flame arrestors,

Flame suit zipped tight.....

Mark Rich

Second Unit
David,
:D
You are right. Time for me to shut up and not start another heated debate that always goes off track. Damn, guess I broke my first New Years reslution already:b

Barry_R

Stunt Coordinator
So if I understand what I'm reading corectly, there is not likely to be major difference between most copper wire component cables, Rat Shack included ?

I've also got a set of RS component cables (#15-1564, price $49.00) that I've been using. I also picked up a set of AR Performance Series cable with the idea of running the DVD through the receiver switcher to the TV, but have since decided against that for exactly the reasons stated above. I've not opened the AR cables yet. They'll go back to the store unless I'm likely to see an improvement over the RS cables.

Barry

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks