Rasputin: The Mad Monk?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Paul Arnette, Jan 20, 2004.

1. Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette Cinematographer

Hi all.

I have a quick question for the owners of Anchor Bay Entertainment's Rasputin: The Mad Monk DVD. In particular, I am referring to the initial, individual release, and not the recent Double Features disc.

I have come across two Rasputin DVDs that have the words 'SUPER BUY' "stamped", for lack of a better word, on the back. In each case the words 'SUPER BUY' are emprinted on both the Alpha keepcase plastic sleeve and the paper, cover insert below it. I also noticed this on the title Reptile, but not on any other disc.

I was able to find a Reptile DVD without the 'SUPER BUY' marring it, and I was wondering how many of you out there have a Rasputin DVD with and without such defacing. I'd like to know whether it is worth searching for one that doesn't have it.

This is the anal collector aspect of my personality coming out in me, so please bear with me on this post, as I realize it doesn't affect the ability to watch and enjoy the movie. However, I wanted to compelte my Hammer collection without what amounts to a punch-out DVD.

2. Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips Screenwriter

Media Play used to sell the Hammer DVDs for $2.99 in their cut out bins, but I never saw one marked that way.

3. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    The SUPERBUY marked ones were available here in the Northeast at Saturday Matinee and several other chain stores (they were marked in such a manner to prevent the stores from returning them for credit at the full price, just like cut-outs). They started at $9.99 and, as Steve noted, eventually made their way down in price.

4. Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette Cinematographer

Thanks for the information.

Apparently, they have made their way to the e-tailers, who are charging full price for them. [​IMG]

5. soop.spoon

soop.spoon Supporting Actor

keep in mind that the rights to Rasputin the Mad Monk will likely revert to Blue Underground this year. I wouldn't get too caried away with tracking down a perfect copy of the current release.

Or... just buy the Devil Rides Out / Rasputin 2-pack... its the exact same disc (and insert) but it's cheaper!