Rare Vintage Shows not on DVD

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
Benjamin
BEST OF THE WEST is the show I'm waiting (and waiting) for. It's up on Amazon as a pre-order from CBS Home Entertainment. I ordered it last October and am still waiting for it to be released. Likewise, I pre-ordered the Robert Stack MOST WANTED series from CBS in March of this year. Hopefully , CBS will put these out.
Please note... it's a made-to-order title available only through Amazon.com. Same with The Oddball Couple, the 1975 animated dog-and-cat version of The Odd Couple.

~Ben

GMBurns

Second Unit
Reaction score
Real Name
Glenn
Is this a bad sign for CBS's recently revived MOD program? I too, have had Most Wanted on order since I saw it mentioned on tvshowsondvd.com several months ago, and now it sounds like Best of the West has been pending for even longer, on the order of 6 months. I am also hopeful that CBS will put both these titles out soon, along with other yet-to-be-revealed surprises.

RBailey

Second Unit
Reaction score
Real Name
John Hall
Please note... it's a made-to-order title available only through Amazon.com. Same with The Oddball Couple, the 1975 animated dog-and-cat version of The Odd Couple.

~Ben
I do realize it's a made to order title. I'm just wondering when they're going to make them. I've never had an Amazon order pending this long. Many times in the past, Amazon has cancelled my orders when there appears to be a release cancellation from the distributors. I guess it's good news that it hasn't happened yet.

Neil Brock

Producer
Reaction score
I'm still waiting for a complete set of remastered episodes of "One Step Beyond" (1959). Many episodes have been released on DVD, but they look terrible with scratches, missing scenes, and bad audio.
You will be waiting a long, long time. Thanks to the morons at Worldvision, they neglected to renew the copyrights on the series and let all but 13 shows fall into public domain. CBS tried but the remastered 1st season sold poorly ensuring that nothing will ever be done with the remaining two seasons.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Reaction score
Website
ron1973.blogspot.com
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
You will be waiting a long, long time. Thanks to the morons at Worldvision, they neglected to renew the copyrights on the series and let all but 13 shows fall into public domain. CBS tried but the remastered 1st season sold poorly ensuring that nothing will ever be done with the remaining two seasons.
Out of curiosity, is this the same story with what appears to be PD episodes of Bonanza? I know it was under the Worldvision umbrella at one point as well.

mattfire64

Stunt Coordinator
Reaction score
Real Name
Matthew
Didn't Worldvision also create an "updated" title sequence for the show at some point in the 90s? Wouldn't surprise me of those are the only tapes that CBS has in their possession from when they inherited the Worldvision catalog back in the late 90s. Something similar was done for "In Search Of..." but luckily VEI managed to get the original opening for their DVD release of that series.

Ron1973

Reaction score
Website
ron1973.blogspot.com
Real Name
Didn't Worldvision also create an "updated" title sequence for the show at some point in the 90s? Wouldn't surprise me of those are the only tapes that CBS has in their possession from when they inherited the Worldvision catalog back in the late 90s. Something similar was done for "In Search Of..." but luckily VEI managed to get the original opening for their DVD release of that series.
I've been watching it on YouTube, and it bugs the crap outta me!

Reactions: mattfire64

mattfire64

Stunt Coordinator
Reaction score
Real Name
Matthew
Out of curiosity, is this the same story with what appears to be PD episodes of Bonanza? I know it was under the Worldvision umbrella at one point as well.
Bonanza was acquired by Worldvision in the mid 90s when the show's former distributor Republic Pictures (who also had distribution rights to other NBC shows like Get Smart and Car 54, Where Are You?) was bought out by Worldvision parent company Spelling Entertainment. They only had the rights for a few years before Worldvision themselves were absorbed by Paramount in 1999.

I'm not sure when those Bonanza episodes went into the public domain however, but all the public domain episodes DO carry a copyright notice on the end credits meaning that the rights lapsed later on and someone forgot to renew them, who forgot remains a mystery to me though.

This site contains some interesting history on about the show's syndication over the years:

http://ponderosascenery.homestead.com/files/syndication.html

Ron1973

Reaction score
Website
ron1973.blogspot.com
Real Name
Bonanza was acquired by Worldvision in the mid 90s when the show's former distributor Republic Pictures (who also had distribution rights to other NBC shows like Get Smart and Car 54, Where Are You?) was bought out by Worldvision parent company Spelling Entertainment. They only had the rights for a few years before Worldvision themselves were absorbed by Paramount in 1999.

I'm not sure when those Bonanza episodes went into the public domain however, but all the public domain episodes DO carry a copyright notice on the end credits meaning that the rights lapsed later on and someone forgot to renew them, who forgot remains a mystery to me though.

This site contains some interesting history on about the show's syndication over the years:

http://ponderosascenery.homestead.com/files/syndication.html
Excellent website in spite of several broken links!

Reactions: Flashgear

Neil Brock

Producer
Reaction score
If we're going to list programs that ran just half a season, how about two that ran a full season or more?
The Great Adventure
Slattery's People
Both excellent shows with chances of seeing the light of day again somewhere between slim and none. Slattery's People was a great show with horrible ratings and excellent reviews. It was only saved from cancellation by William Paley himself and renewed for a second season, bumping out Coronet Blue, which we are now getting. After 10 episodes in the second season, Paley finally relented and let it die. The only two shows which had worse ratings in prime time for the season were two news shows, ABC Scope and CBS Reports.

howard1908

Stunt Coordinator
Reaction score
Real Name
howard hughes
the bonanza episodes presumbly went into pd in the 28th year since the last registered copyright.

Reactions: Flashgear

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
Dave
Kingston: Confidential (1976-1977)
Has anyone here ever seen this? I recently came across the intro to it on youtube, and that's the only bit I've ever gotten to watch from this half-season Universal mystery series. I was 3 years old when it aired in '77, so somehow I missed it. ;)

This was a rare flop for Raymond Burr. For anyone who's seen it, do you think this was a case of a series that was cancelled too soon, or was it really bad?

I have no expectations of ever seeing it, though I'd certainly purchase it in the unlikely event it was released on disc.

John Karras

Second Unit
Reaction score
Real Name
Lawrence
Has anyone here ever seen this? I recently came across the intro to it on youtube, and that's the only bit I've ever gotten to watch from this half-season Universal mystery series. I was 3 years old when it aired in '77, so somehow I missed it. ;)

This was a rare flop for Raymond Burr. For anyone who's seen it, do you think this was a case of a series that was cancelled too soon, or was it really bad?

I have no expectations of ever seeing it, though I'd certainly purchase it in the unlikely event it was released on disc.

I've seen all the episodes and it's not a bad show and very typical of '70s Universal product. Burr heading a team of investigative reporters who do all the leg work as Burr swoops in the to nail the baddies.
Burr had 2 failed pilots for Universal: "Mallory" (1976) and "The Jordan Chance" (1978)

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
Dave
I've seen all the episodes and it's not a bad show and very typical of '70s Universal product. Burr heading a team of investigative reporters who do all the leg work as Burr swoops in the to nail the baddies.
Burr had 2 failed pilots for Universal: "Mallory" (1976) and "The Jordan Chance" (1978)
Thanks for your thoughts. As one who's liked much of what I've seen of Universal's 70s shows, as well as liking Burr's work in general, I'd probably enjoy this.

I've gotten to see The Jordan Chance TVM/pilot once, but so far I've not seen Mallory.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
John_Weber