What's new

Rare shows uncut on streaming services (1 Viewer)

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Yes, a Brit friend of mine downloaded a couple of Alcoa/Goodyear shows for me in 576p resolution. Very nice.

I see that they have nearly the entire run of Amos Burke: Secret Agent, just missing two or three eps.
I was trying to figure out if there is a way to download them.

rjd0309

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert

I'm not into streaming myself (more of a physical media guy), but apparently my Brit friend's Macintosh has the capability of downloading these eps.

Some of the "limited availability" eps are also geo-locked, in that you have to live in the UK in order to access them.

mark-edk

Second Unit
It was interesting how much better 'Burke's Law' looks and sounds in these transfers than on the US season one DVDs. But I've also noticed the pitch is slightly higher on the audio. I assume that has something to do with the US 24 fps vs the UK 25 fps. (I noticed that on the Jeannie Carson shows as well.)

SuperClark

Second Unit
Real Name
Clark
I use this app to download a lot of streaming services.You need to pay but ti does have a free trial.Works great love it buts its in real time,60 min show takes 60 mins to dl.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
I use this app to download a lot of streaming services.You need to pay but ti does have a free trial.Works great love it buts its in real time,60 min show takes 60 mins to dl.
It doesn't say anything about being able to burn it to a disc or a drive. Can you do that?

SuperClark

Second Unit
Real Name
Clark
yes you can download it to your computers HD and then use the program of your choice to burn it to disc.

Tom.W

Second Unit
Talking Pictures TV which shows a lot of old Four Star shows has a streaming site. Shows on there now are Dante, Hey Jeannie, Burke's Law, Law of the Plainsman, The Westerner, David Niven Show, Honey West and Turn of Fate (aka Alcoa/Goodyear).
Just saw this. Thanks, Neil. Glad to upgrade the Dante's from the old Bravo network as well as add on some of the others. I see episodes of The Dick Powell Show and Target the Corruptors are listed on the schedule though they don't appear on the streaming app at this point.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Just saw this. Thanks, Neil. Glad to upgrade the Dante's from the old Bravo network as well as add on some of the others. I see episodes of The Dick Powell Show and Target the Corruptors are listed on the schedule though they don't appear on the streaming app at this point.
You figure out a way to record from their streaming service? If so, PM me please!

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
Would love to see one the streaming options add the entire run of "Peyton Place" ??

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member

There is a way to hook up a Roku to a set-top DVD recorder. I know because I've got one hooked up to one of my two Pioneer DVR-640HS recorders.

The only 'trick' is you need a Roku that has composite outputs (yellow/red/white). I don't know if you can get a 'new' one anymore, but mine is an older version of the Roku Express (or maybe Express+) than they sell now. Mine has composite rather than HDMI. I bought it in April 2020, I think.

Bought it to record things from Buzzr, since it looks like I'll never be able to get that channel over-the-air in my area.

As long as your recorder can record a 16:9 image (though Buzzr used to be 4:3, it's now 16:9 pillarboxed, which looks like the same thing, but is totally different when it comes to disc burning). Software can help fix things (sometimes) if you're capturing a 'squeezed' image instead. When they switched, I had to adjust the aspect ratio settings of my player and recorder, but my setup records this just fine now.

Of course, bitrate of the streaming channel is very important. Some of those streamers have audio quality that is so poor and "tinny" (sounds like a low-quality MP3 file), that there's no value to recording it, but thankfully, Buzzr has decent sound and picture via the STIRR Roku app (and, during rare STIRR outages, I switch to PlutoTV as a back-up).

Last edited:

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
I don't suppose the old HBO anthology The Hitchhiker is streaming anywhere now, is it? I've heard tell that it was on Hulu over a decade ago. I'm hoping to catch a couple of episodes that are edited and/or altered on the old DVD releases.

I suspect maybe it left Hulu after one of the mergers/acquisitions of Alliance Atlantis? Haven't heard of it resurfacing anywhere since its (alleged) Hulu run, not even internationally.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
There is a way to hook up a Roku to a set-top DVD recorder. I know because I've got one hooked up to one of my two Pioneer DVR-640HS recorders.

The only 'trick' is you need a Roku that has composite outputs (yellow/red/white). I don't know if you can get a 'new' one anymore, but mine is an older version of the Roku Express (or maybe Express+) than they sell now. Mine has composite rather than HDMI. I bought it in April 2020, I think.
Wouldn't an HDMI to RCA converter solve that particular issue?

Larry.P

Stunt Coordinator
I can record on my DVD recorder with my Firestick connected with an HDMI to RCA converter. However, this results in a 16X9 image crammed into a 4x3 box. This is how it burns to the disc. To play back properly, you have to adjust the settings on the TV to stretch the picture back out to normal. It's pretty annoying.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
I can record on my DVD recorder with my Firestick connected with an HDMI to RCA converter. However, this results in a 16X9 image crammed into a 4x3 box. This is how it burns to the disc. To play back properly, you have to adjust the settings on the TV to stretch the picture back out to normal. It's pretty annoying.

There is an (also annoying) other workaround to get your disc burnt the correct way when this happens:
1. burn your disc, either normally or to a RW disc (so you don't have to keep throwing away coasters)
2. load the disc into your computer and RIP it
3. with software, you can take the titles in the Video_TS folder and make them the proper 'stretched-out' 16:9 aspect. On my Mac, I use a free piece of software called MyDVDedit (may not be free anymore, I don't know. Using old software on a Mac running an old OS)
4. After saving your changes to the RIPped Video_TS, then burn that back to a new -R disc (DVD-from-VIDEO_TS folder opetion).
5. Voila! You have a 'proper' anamorphic disc.

I had to do this for a few weeks when Buzzr was transitioning from 4:3 broadcasts to 16:9 ones. It was annoying as all get-out, but it does work! It also enabled me to (finally) make a proper anamorphic disc from a title I got in a trade years ago that was "squeezed."

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Wouldn't an HDMI to RCA converter solve that particular issue?

Perhaps, I don't know. I thought HDMI was encrypted, so wasn't sure if a simple converter would do the trick or not. It's good news for everybody if so, though. I'm sure someday this player will get too old/slow and I'll need up upgrade (I bought to replace my old Roku-1, which had gotten way too slow).

mark-edk

Second Unit
On the Mac there's a program called Downie 4 that downloads files from Talking Pictures TV and some other sites (I believe it won't work with DRM protected files). It will download an entire show in a few minutes. You can then take the files and watch them on your computer, stream them to your tv, or put them on DVD. You can use other programs to massage the audio or video to your liking; I use a DAW and a demuxer to extract the audio, correct the elevated pitch, and put the fixed audio back with no generation loss.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
I bought one of those Roku players and I've been using it to record from Crackle and IMDB. But is Talking Pictures available on Roku in the US?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks