Rare (sale/buy out) rumblings Part Deux

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Edan W, Sep 9, 2002.

1. Edan W

Edan W Stunt Coordinator

Has anyone read this:
    Rare deal for MS
    Is this a reputable source? I had read some rumour from computer and videogames recently but didn't really think much of it, now this.

2. Romier S

Romier S Producer

The same report was posted on Rarenet which is considered reputable. The rumor has been flying around for the past 2 weeks. We'll have to wait until September 24th at X02 to get the real deal.

3. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Gamesindustry.biz is definitely reputable. Shinji wouldn't post a story like that unless he had a good solid source to back it up.

4. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Unless Rare cancels all their future GameCube games and forfeits the Donkey Kong license, this seems unlikely. I could see MS buying Rare and then letting them still make games for GameCube, kinda like how Sega was making GameBoy Advance games before the DC went under...

5. Adam Nixon

Adam Nixon Second Unit

If this rumor is true, then Rare has to be the most idiotic developer on the planet. Why would they leave Nintendo to be an exclusive developer for a 3rd-place console? I can understand the desire to go 3rd-party, but this is essentially a downward move.

6. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

7. BrianB

BrianB Producer

8. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

I doubt very much, however, that its due to one reason I heard recently - that Ninty needed the cash from the Rare sale to buy a stake in Sega. About as likely as a very unlikely thing, surely?
    More realistically, if Rare has gone for that much then its an absolute bargain for Nintendo and the Stampers - Rare are very talented, but the current stock market means they have got allegedly got more for the company than just about every publically traded dev outfit in the UK put together!
    I'm not certain I'm reading this right, but doesn't this Yahoo link mean that the whole of Eidos is only worth about £200M, leaving what looks like another over £100M to pick up SCi at £16M, Rage for £10M, Argonaut for £22M etc.
    Rage make some great games, but they don't tend to make very many of them in a hurry...

9. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Yup, Iain. That 250 million figure is a total joke - if Microsoft /have/ paid that much, they're idiots. Rare just are NOT worth that much, irrespective of people's views of their talent. As a company, they're not worth that much money.

10. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

Especially when they could have bought SEGA and their 13+ developers for not too much more money.

11. Iain Lambert

The daftest thing yet is that the Stampers are looking to have sold their shares because they want out of the business. With so much of the other talent now residing at Zoonami, Free Radical etc, I'd really have to ask exactly what it is that Microsoft have bought. The name? Obviously. The IP? Well, Rare's most famous games owe their IP to Danjaq and Nintendo. The talent? With so many people from the old days having left, its like a different team anyway now.

12. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

More false rumors. Whatever will happen with Rare will bear out in time, but it would be bad for Rare to go exclusive with an untested console that's in 3rd place worldwide.

I also don't know how Microsoft could go about buying Rare and making it exclusive when Nintendo owns 49%.

13. BrianB

BrianB Producer

14. Iain Lambert

If Nintendo have agreed to sell their shares to Microsoft, then I'd see them coming out of this rather well - with the decent number of 3rd party devs on board now, Rare isn't quite as vital, and they are getting a seriously huge amount of money for that stake.

However, the Stampers have 25% each, and they are definitely looking to sell, it would appear. That would be enough for Microsoft to get control, at which point the cash would be more useful to Nintendo than their minority stake I'd say.

15. BrianB

BrianB Producer

16. Dave Falasco

Dave Falasco Screenwriter

Wow, does no one think this is a good thing for MS? I can't speak to the dollar amount (I believe you, Brian, if you say that MS is paying too much), but it seems to me that the biggest area that MS lags behind the competition in is credibility, and having Rare as a first-party developer would address that quite well. An Xbox-exclusive Perfect Dark would move a few systems I should think, although FPS games are pretty well represented already in the Xbox's library.

17. Edan W

Edan W Stunt Coordinator

I think it's a good thing for MS but I have to echo Iain's sentiments and wonder what they are getting for the insane amount of cash they are rumored to be spending.

18. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Nintendo own the trademarks etc behind Bajo Kazooie et al. Rare own Perfect Dark & Conker I believe.

19. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Cinematographer

20. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

I guess this means no Banjo-Kazooie title for the Game Cube. Fuck. [​IMG]