Rare rumblings....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Romier S, Jun 10, 2002.

1. Romier S

Romier S Producer

It seems that Matt of IGN-Cube (Main Gamecube reporter and reviewer) has a source that has all but confirmed the Rare is going multiplatform. He posted the info in a thread on the IGN forums:
    Rare thread
    You of course need insiders access to look at the full thread but I have included parts of the most important annuncements:

2. Kevin Alexander

Kevin Alexander Screenwriter

What games has Rare produced?

3. Romier S

Romier S Producer

4. Kevin Alexander

Kevin Alexander Screenwriter

I hope they do go multiplatform.

5. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Heh. Suprised there was nothing said closer to E3.

6. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

This gets me thinking...

Nintendo wants to make good games. They said they would rather make good games than good hardware.

Nintendo also owns a large chunk of Rare. If they influence them to make some of the amazing games that Rare makes for the competition, Nintendo benefits. This way, they can do several things:

1) Syphon (sp?) their games onto other consoles. Rare took Donkey Kong and made it into a whole new game series, and they're doing something similar with StarFox. Nintendo makes good games while loaning out some of their other games to be spunoff onto other consoles.

2) Make a ton of money. We all know Nintendo, Sony, and MS like money. Nintendo lets Rare make games for other consoles (in addition to TONS of money) and they get some of that to spend making games or investing (didn't Nintendo mention making serious investments in the future?).

No matter what happens, Rare will probably make all of their games for the GameCube and another console. They wouldn't leave Nintendo (since Nintendo owns a large piece of them).

This is actually a lot like the Squaresoft situation. Sony owns a big chunk of them, but they're making GameCube and GBA games. Either way, everyone (especially the gamers) profits.

7. Brad Grenz

Brad Grenz Second Unit

That's not the kind of news Nintendo would want flying around E3. It may be good business for them, but it certainly isn't good for their image.

8. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Well, obviously, Brad. I wouldn't expect the news to come/leak from Nintendo though.

9. Dave Bennett

Dave Bennett Screenwriter

I've got no problem with this as long as Rare doesn't keep some of their games off of the Gamecube. I didn't buy my cube for a specific Rare title but I'd hate to see some Rare titles go XBox exclusive(or even PS2 exclusive although I do own a PS2 as well).

10. Dave E H

Dave E H Supporting Actor

OXBM has a little blurb about this in the issue w/ James Bond on the cover. They sounded pretty certain, but w/o any more hard info than the kind posted above.

11. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

Hey, I'd be all for Rare going multiplatform. A sequel to BFD on the Xbox?

12. Greg O' Connel

Greg O' Connel Stunt Coordinator

I can't say I'm surprised by this. Nintendo has poured a TON of money into Rare since they were chosen to develop Donkey Kong Country over 8 years ago. The return on their investment has been less than spectacular. Maybe now Rare will make some money for Nintendo. Or maybe not. At the rate they develop, we'll se their first third party game on PS2/Xbox sometime around 2005.

As for this hurting Nintendo's image, I highly doubt it. The mainstream consumer which constitutes the vast majority of the market doesn't know or care what Rare is or who they develop for. They know games, not companies.

13. Aaron Copeland

Aaron Copeland Second Unit

Aaron

14. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

Methinks that RARE is going to turn into Nintendo's "Trojan Horse" to other game systems. They own alot of the company (anywhere from 25-49%)... so, for RARE to go multi-platform with NINTENDO characters (ala Star Fox, Donkey Kong)... they could greatly help Nintendo financially. This announcement would be as BIG as Square announcing multi-platform (again, they are owned anywhere from 25-49% by Sony).

15. Masood Ali

Masood Ali Supporting Actor

16. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

Let me remind you that Sonic is now on GameCube... anything can happen [​IMG]

17. Dave E H

Dave E H Supporting Actor

I too doubt that we'll see star Fox or Donkey Kong on other platforms, but having a Bajo Kazooie would really help the xbox with the kids market.

18. Masood Ali

Masood Ali Supporting Actor

19. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

I will beleive this only when Rare or Nintendo make an official announcement.

Nintendo will not license characters to be used on other consoles, so don't plan on it happening. The GCN version of Soul Calibur II will have Link --> But not other platforms.

If (big IF) Rare goes multi-platform, I will still buy all Rare games for the Nintendo. Possibly even PS2.

If (bigger IF) Rare announces any single exclusive to the X-box, I will cease buying Rare games altogether.

Once again, nothing is set in stone, and the only official statements to come from Rare and Nintendo have been denying this rumor. That's not to say that it CAN'T be true, but I am not confident in at all. Particularly since IGN seems to be the primary source.

20. BrianB

BrianB Producer