Rare/Nintendo: "...something big going down"

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Cameron Seaman, Apr 10, 2002.

1. Cameron Seaman

Cameron Seaman Supporting Actor

From the new Q&A over at IGN Cube :

2. BrianB

BrianB Producer

3. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

Hmmm...a tough loss for Nintendo, if true.

Rare isn't much of an innovator (at all) but they are very good at refining current genre.

4. BrianB

BrianB Producer

The UK version of Daily Radar have posted a rumour saying Activision have bought out Nintendo's stake in Rare.

And I've just been told it's true. Hrmmmm....

And now I'm being told it's nonsense. Hrmmmm....

5. Cameron Seaman

Hey Brian,

Do you have a link? (I lightly glanced over the UK Daily Radar page and couldn't find it.)

6. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

Wow, that would be a big loss for Nintendo...

-Andre F

7. Cameron Seaman

8. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

I won't beleive anything until either Rare or Nintendo have a press release. It would be a sad day for me. I've already shot off an email to Rare letting them know that I'll continue buying their Nintendo console games, but not others.

9. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

That's just silly. You like Rare games yet you'll only play them on one console? Where's the logic in that?

10. BrianB

BrianB Producer

What's your problem with Rare developing for other consoles, if it's true, John?

11. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

The logic is that I only own Nintendo consoles. I only plan to own Nintendo consoles. If I must, I may buy or rent a PS2 for Kingdom Hearts, but that depends on the release and cost. The only games I've seen to compel me to get a PS2 have control flaws, camera flaws, and other frustrating features that convinced me not to get one.

I will never own an X-box.

You don't have to like my logic, but it's 99% true. I don't think it's unfair of me to let them know that I'll only buy their games on Nintendo platforms.

12. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

13. Cameron Seaman

I'm with John.

I only own a Gamecube, and have no plans to buy either a PS2 or an XBOX. I like RARE games, so I don't want RARE making games for other consoles.

14. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

15. Dave Falasco

Dave Falasco Screenwriter

I suppose it's natural to want to keep a developer exclusive to your console, so I understand the potential for disappointment for Nintendo owners if this rumor pans out. I know I'd hate to hear that Bungie has seceded from MS and plans on making Halo 2 for all three consoles. Yes, I suppose if I were a big person I would want everyone to experience Halo, but the fact is that one of the big reasons to choose a console is its exclusive games, and the more people who buy your favorite console, the less chance there is of that console going under.
    If that makes me selfish, so be it. So I understand why Nintendo fans would be upset if this turns out to be true (even if I am also excited by the possibility of an Xbox Perfect Dark game.) [​IMG]

16. Ian_Fisher

Ian_Fisher Stunt Coordinator

I really don't understand that mentality. “I have always owned a Nintendo, I will always own a Nintendo, and all the other consoles be damned!”

I got the original Nintendo when it came out in the 80’s. I loved it and some of my favorite games were on that system. But I didn’t sign a contract with Nintendo saying I would forsake all others!!!! I liked the Genesis games more then the Super Nintendo’s games, and aside from “Goldeneye”, “Zelda”, and “Mario Kart 64”, the N64 was a complete bust in my opinion. Don’t get me wrong, I own a GameCube (and X-Box, PS2, and Dreamcast) but if I could only afford one system, I’d be trying to decide between X-Box and PS2...based ONLY on the games that the systems has. (I’d probably go with X-Box...but DAMN I’d hate saying goodbye to GTA3 for now!)

I just don’t get these silly console wars. “X-BOX RULES! All others suck” “X-Box SUCKS!” “Nintendo is the KING! I'll never buy those other crappy systems!” What in the hell?! Every console I own has strengths and weaknesses. Buy the one that has the games you like...and ENJOY IT!

17. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

18. Cameron Seaman

I wouldn't be worried about finding any Fanboy crap on this forum Ian.

I chose the Gamecube because it was the system that appealed to me the most. I don't have the time or the money to invest in multiple systems, so I only play one. Hell, I'd love to own them all! They're all great systems with great games.

So, it comes across a little selfish when I say I don't want RARE making games for other consoles. Well, it's the truth. I'd also like to get GTA 3 and Halo on the Cube, but don't look like thats happening anytime soon. They just arent important enough to me to warrant buying another system.

19. Shayne Lebrun

Shayne Lebrun Screenwriter

Conker on the XBOX! Conker on the XBOX! Conker on the XBOX!

20. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

Ian,

I think you've misjudged my "mentality". I've owned a Sega Genesis, A Nintendo 64, A Dreamcast, A GameCube, A Game Boy, and a Gameboy Advance. Sega really isn't an option anymore so I guess I'm "just for Nintendo".

If I see a compelling title that I think plays well on a PS2, I will get it.

I have indicated in many threads why I will never buy an X-box. I dislike the controller. I beleive it to be a console that will see many exclusives go to PC (with upgrades), and I don't like Microsoft.

I don't think these feelings make me a Nintendo fanboy.