What's new

Rare/Hard-To-Find LDs, Plus Some Others FS/Maybe FT (1 Viewer)

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
This is a two-day sale, or until I post them on Ebay (depends how lazy I get). I offer them here first.

I have the following LDs for sale. The first bunch are hard to find, mainly Criterions. They are all widescreen except those that were originally filmed full frame (such as King Kong).
[*]Star Wars SE Trilogy, five discs, AC-3. $150. Excellent condition, most would say mint.
[*]Criterion King Kong, 2-disc all CAV, first printing box set. $35. Sealed! Supplements include a running commentary by Ron Haver, and a visual essay on the making of King Kong and its release by Ron Haver, film preservationist and historian covering such topics as: Preliminary sketches, special effects, model design and construction, script pages and budget and original footage from Creation, Willis O'Brien's prehistoris monster film.
[*]Criterion Close Encounters of the Third Kind, 3-disc all-CAV. $20. Discs are fine, I rate the jacket at 7.5 - there's a small bit of damage to the left-bottom corner and the start of "disc breakthrough" on the right fold. This is the one that can be programmed two ways. It's missing the sheet that tells you how to do this but I can get a copy. Supplements include an interactive documentary featuring interviews with Steven Speilberg, Douglas Trumbull, John Williams, and other principals, along with over 1,000 still frames from different aspects of the production. Also included are screenplay excerpts of deleted scenes, publicity materials for the original and Special Editions, and more.
[*]Criterion Dr. Strangelove, 2-disc all-CAV. $40. Overall excellent with a little bit of shelf wear on the bottom edge and a smidgen on the top edge. Supplement chapter titles include Transferring Dr. Strangelove to Video, Theatrical Trailer, Film Bibliographies, Learning to Love the Bomb: Introduction, Civil Defense, Radiation and You, Building a Shelter, Evolution of the Bomb, Special Delivery: Boeing's B-29 and B-52 and My Teenage Fallout Queen. These supplements are great fun. Even if you own the recent dvd, you will not regret owning this LD.
[*]Criterion The Man Who Fell to Earth, 2-discs, sides 1,2 and 4 CAV, side 3 CLV. $50. Excellent, near mint condition. This is the fully restored, unrated version, with the 20 minutes retained that were deleted from previous versions. To the best of my knowledge, this is the only release, any format, that can say this. Supplements include audio commentary by director Nicolas Roeg, David Bowie and Buck Henry, hundreds of production photos, costume drawings and behind-the-scenes snapshots, deleted scenes and alternate versions of key scenes analysis with photos, screenplay and continuity book excerpts, original theatrical trailer, American and British trailers and TV spot.
[*]Criterion Robinson Crusoe on Mars, 2-disc all-CAV. $160. Sealed!. This the only release to video, any format. Supplements include commentary by LB Melchior, Paul Mantee and Vic Lundin, production designer Al Nazaki, plus special effects designer Robert Skotak, excerpts from a rare interview with Director Byron Haskin, excerpts from LB Melchior's screenplay, production design sketch book, Robert Skotak's article on the history and making of the film, original roadshow trailer and publicit artwork and pressbook.
[*]Criterion Repulsion, 2-discs CLV/CAV. $90. Excellent, just short of mint. Only flaw is a 1-inch stretch of "disc breakthrough" on the bottom - it's hardly noticeable. Supplements include commentary by Roman Polanski and Catherine Deneuve, theatrical trailer, three short films of Roman Polanski and a video interview with Roman Polanski.
[*]Criterion Dr. No SOLD!, 2-disc all-CAV. $45. Discs and jacket are excellent with two very small bits of creasing on the left side. This, along with the other Criterion James Bond CAV releases, are known for their "banned" commentary. I'm not certain why, but the copyright holders didn't like the commentaries so Criterion pulled them. This commentary appears nowhere else. Other supplemens include A Dr. No Dossier (Meet James Bond, trailer, publicity and advertising, the cast and procution team), theatrical trailer and televison commercials featuring James Bond spoofs.
[*]Criterion From Russia With Love, 2-disc all-CAV. $70. Just short of mint. "Banned" (see above) commentary, plus A S.P.E.C.T.R.E. File highlighted by location photos, publicity stills, rare bookcovers, articles and movie posters from this film and other Bond films. Chapters are titled: The literary history of James Bond, Daniels and Seah, British Secret Service Dossier, S.P.E.C.T.R.E. dossier, 007's friends and enimies, Production and Publicity.
[*]The Wizard of Space and Time, 1 disc, all CLV. $150. Really hard to find. Both disc and jacket are perfect. Film looks really good too.
[*]Disney's 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Archive Collection, 2-disc CLV/CAV. $20. Discs are good; jacket is ok. Three corners are dinged, there's "disc breakthrough" on the left and bottom edges. Mint copies go for $50-$60 on Ebay. This one isn't as good as I'd like but it's a lot cheaper. Supplements include behind-scenes clips with Walt Disney, Kirk Douglas and Peter Lorre, side-by-side storyboards/film comparisons, set design sketches for the Nautilus, conceptual drawings and paintings, archival production photographs, original anaimated sequences deleted from the film and the original theatrical trailer.
[*]Aliens, 4-disc all-CAV box set. Discs are excellent (no rot!), box is very good. $20. All corners are solid, very little wear. It's major flaw is on the back, center right edge where it's frayed a bit. This has the same supplements as the dvd, plus it has all the text that the dvd lacks. Sound is excellent. Many people claim the video is grainy but I just don't see it as being that bad. A lot of it is simply not grainy at all.
[*]The Godfather Collector's Edition box set, 7 discs including supplement disc. Catalog # LV12959-7, #529. $30. Box does have wear along all edges, corners are all solid. This is not the made-for-TV version with sequenced scenes.
[*]One Flew Over the Cuckoss's Nest, Pioneer Special Edition. Sealed. $35. This is the fabulous Pioneer coffee table set with all the supplements the dvd lacked. Supplements include commentary by Milos Forman, theatrical trailers, collectible photographs from The Zaentz Archive, The Broadway Play and Ken Kesey's Private Collection, abridged actual shooting script, abridged original screenplay by Ken Kesey, original historical and interpretive essay. This thing is gorgeous!

I also have these not so rare titles. I'm asking $6 for the first one and $5 for each one after that. All are widescreen unless noted otherwise. None are special editions. All are sealed unless noted otherwise. I will try to add others later.
[*]12 Monkeys[*]Event Horizon, AC-3[*]Cliffhanger, open[*]Blue Thunder[*]The Fifth Element, AC-3[*]Species, AC-3[*]The Thing, (John Carpenter)[*]The Lost Continent, [*]The Lost World: Jurassic Park, AC-3[*]Jurassic Park, CLV[*]Darkman[*]Jaws[*]Superman[*]Quartermass and the Pit, AC-3[*]Mary Shelley's Frankenstein

I ship USPS only. Shipping is priority and actual cost. I will consider Media Mail if the shipment is heavy enough. Delivery confirmation is required. Insurance is your option; rates are $1.10 for up to $50, $2 for up to $100; add $1 for every hundred after that. I prefer payment via PAYPAL but a money order will do also. I ship promptly upon receipt of, or notification of, payment. I pack very well (I've preached on this subject several times here).

I'm willing to consider a trade in whole or in part if you have any of the following LDs:
[*]Metropolis – Moroder version (Catalog # IDVL 5090)[*]Spirit of St. Louis – WS (Catalog # 15052)[*]Song of the South – Hong Kong release [*]Some Like It Hot – Criterion 3-disc CAV (Spine # 74)[*]Olivia Newton-John – Down Under (NTSC only)[*]Olivia Newton-John – Soul Kiss[*]Golden Age of Looney Tunes, Volume 4[*]Golden Age of Looney Tunes, Volume 5[*]Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House[*]Laurel & Hardy – Bohemian Girl/The Music Box, Saps at Sea, Pack Up Your Troubles

Plus, you may put up whatever dvds you have for trade. These must be excellent. NO promos! I am especially looking for these:

Criterion:
[*]Branded to Kill[*]Do the Right Thing[*]The Lady Vanishes[*]Magic Flute[*]Most Dangerous Game[*]Peeping Tom[*]Rififi (corrected)[*]Sullivan’s Travels[*]W.C. Fields: Six Short Films

Others:
[*]Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman & Howe: An Evening of Yes Music[*]Boogie Nights – 2-disc[*]Catch-22[*]The Claim[*]Dogma SE 2-disc[*]The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance[*]Miss Congeniality[*]The Natural[*]Space Cowboys[*]The Straight Story[*]State and Main[*]You Can Count On Me

------------------
They're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!
They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa To the funny farm. Where life is beautiful all the time and I'll be happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats and they're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!!!!
- Napoleon XIV

[Edited last by alan halvorson on September 02, 2001 at 03:21 PM]

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
Added price for Repulsion.
------------------
They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa To the funny farm. Where life is beautiful all the time and I'll be happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats and they're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!!!!
- Napoleon XIV

AdrianJ

Supporting Actor
Erg! Oops.
------------------
photo11.jpg

Adrian Jones
[Edited last by AdrianJ on August 29, 2001 at 09:43 PM]

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
Updated, changing pricing.
------------------
- Napoleon XIV

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks