Raptor value

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Jim_F, Feb 1, 2004.

1. Jim_F

Jim_F Screenwriter

I'm thinking of going to a RAID 0 configuration this year and I see that a dual 74 GB Raptor setup would cost more than double the price of 2 120 GB Caviar drives.

I don't have a lot of demanding tasks, DVD burning, some audio editing, dabbling in gaming. I might dabble in video editing, but that won't be a primary use for this machine. I just like to have a robust setup without paying for bleeding edge products.

2.4 Pentium 4, Intel D865PERL, onboard sound, Radeon 9600XT, Sony DRU510A, 2 GB PC3200

Convince me to spend over $500 for about 2/3 of the space I could get for ~$200.

2. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

Looking at your other configuration and your purpose, I don't know why to convince you, I think you'd be throwing the money away.

I have a machine using the dual 74G in the office, and for what it's used for, I can't imagine switching to 2 120s or 2 160s or whatever.

Realize, though, your board will have inbuilt RAID-0/1 support for SATA, but you'll need a controller card for PATA drives, so you're adding at least another $50 on their, and the bit of dealing with the drivers of whoever's card you buy [​IMG]

3. Jim_F

Jim_F Screenwriter

Thanks Chris, saving a few hundred bucks is always nice. If need be, I could always upgrade later, I suppose.