Rap metal- fad or new style of rock?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Broadman, Dec 18, 2001.

1. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

As I'm sure you've noticed, many of today's rock bands are into having their singers rap, while playing a more direct, groove-based music.

For the record, I don't dislike rap and have defended it on this forum.

I also think this style can be cool. Disturbed does it a little, and makes it sound fun. Rage Against the Machine has their moments, when they don't get carried away by their politics and the pointless ranting and raving by the lead singer.

Then there are the popular groups that just make it sound awful, IMO. The two biggest culprits are Limp Biscuit and Kid Rock. They take the worst parts of rap and rock and leave out the soul and punch of both styles, and create nothing. How boring.

Sometimes I turn to MTV-X just for the hell of it, and most of the new bands are doing that rock-rap stuff. I just don't think it comes out well. I was actually excited by the prospect of this style. I mean, after all, rap and rock are very heavy on the bottom end, and I thought it could work well. Much to my chagrine, I'm really not seeing anything out there I like.

So do y'all think that this is just a passing fad that will go away in a couple of years, like grunge, or is the future of popular rock?

2. Ryan Spaight

Ryan Spaight Supporting Actor

I am hopeful that singing will come back into fashion. Of the few rock acts that still sing, many of them sound like Eddie Vedder and just drone. Pop acts are either soulless technicians (Mariah Carey, Celine Dion) or talentless sex toys (take your pick). It's all quite dull to my ears.

Don't get me wrong -- there's nothing wrong with good old-fashioned screaming and yelling over monster riffs. But too many voices today seem to succeed based on their annoyance factor (Macy Gray, anyone?) than on their power, emotion, or ability.

Ryan

3. Jon_B

Jon_B Screenwriter

Disturbed is one messed up band. Half the time the lead singer sounds like he is just speaking gibberish, or screaming like a monkey.

I really miss rage. Tom Morello is my favorite guitarist of all time. It's been said before, and I'll say it again, Rage is/was the only band that matters.

I think we'll see less rap/metal bands in the years to come.

Jon

4. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

I definitly think it is a valid style. Actually, its roots go back a little farther, to when Anthrax and Public Enemy got together. There have been other groups along that line (Fishbone, Suicidal Tendencies?) til the music industry decided to make it popular. I have heard that bands like Linkin Park and Godsmack are pretty good, but I haven't listened to them myself.

A genre is defined by the bands in it, and how good they are. Its future as a genre is dependant on the bands and how well they hold up over the years.

Just because the genre isn't in the public eye anymore doesn't mean that it doesn't exist anymore. There are still great heavy metal bands out there that noone hears about in this country because of the lack of focus on them. Music is a product in this country, that has little to do with art.

Jason

5. Ryan Spaight

Ryan Spaight Supporting Actor

Aren't the remaining members of Rage going to release an album under a new name with Chris Cornell (Soundgarden) on vocals?

Ryan

6. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

7. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Jason, I don't particularly care for Lincoln Park, but they're pretty big right now. I believe they have one rapper and one singer, rather than relying on one front man to smush it all together. I really like Godsmack's first album: heavy direct riffs, and straight ahead hard rock. No rapping, though.

Ryan,

Yes, Cornell and the three guys from Rage are planning something. What, if anything, happens remains to be seen.

8. Frank_W

Frank_W Stunt Coordinator

9. Brad_W

Brad_W Screenwriter

AKA: Rap-core

10. Brian Crowe

Brian Crowe Stunt Coordinator

I thought the Aerosmith/Run DMC collaboration predated the Anthrax/Public enemy? Anyways, I think it's valid. And I don't see it going away completely. Personally I like the flow and staccato beat of rap music but I think most times it lacks something. With the right guitar riff all of that changes, at least for me. I've been waiting for this genre to come full swing since the early 90s.

For some good examples on how to do it right, see the Judgment Night soundtrack and another album called Loud Rocks .

~Crowe~

11. Greg Robertson

Greg Robertson Stunt Coordinator

Yeah, it'll probably fade into some other new fad in a year or two, like most music fads that mtv latches onto. Although, I really like this fad. Heck, I love jammin out to limp bizkit and Kid rock. While, there is no artistic merit to them or most rap-rock bands, there's something to be said about music that makes you want to bop your head and sing along to, when it comes on. I also really like the disturbed song where the lead singer yells like a monkey (down with the sickness), and the Linkin park cd is one of the only 'popular' releases I've bought in the last couple years, and I think it's excellent.

While a good majority of the stuff I listen to would be considered to have more depth, there is a certain 'music for the sake of kicking ass' niche that this fills.

12. Jon_B

Jon_B Screenwriter

13. Leif Wall

Leif Wall Second Unit

Most definitely a fad. I consider myself a music junkie, as I listen to tons of different styles and am always on the lookout for new stuff.

My favorite type of music is death, black, and doom metal though. Let me tell you, the musicians in these genres are flat-out the best in the world. (well maybe the vocalists aren't) The drummer from Hate Eternal could take on 20 rap/metal drummers at one time and destroy them. Still don't see why no new bands have double bass drumming, except for Fear Factory and Slipknot. Probably because they all suck!

Everybody should check out: Emperor, In Flames, and Tristania.

14. Sam Hatch

Sam Hatch Stunt Coordinator

Anthrax was doing the rap/metal thing even before they linked up with P.E. "I'm the Man" came out in 1987 and pretty much kickstarted the whole genre.

Though not exactly metal, Run DMC was mixing rock and rap with "King of Rock" (1985) even before they linked up with Aerosmith. So no matter how groundbreaking Anthrax was, Run DMC seem to have been a few Adidas steps ahead of them.

As for the new bands, I pretty much agree with the others here. Rage and a select other few pull it off, while Kid Durst and Fred Rock cash in on it with no talent necessary.

God, that Mission Impossible 2 song still drives me crazy. It's a song for a spy movie, so do you think that little marblehead could think of some interesting lyrics to complement the movie's theme? Nope. He'll just use the damned riff and sing about himself again.

"Now I know why you kick my heiny -- It's cuz I'm so goddamned fuckin' whiny!"

15. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

Agreed 100% Sam. Some have pulled it off well. I immediately think of Korn's 1994 debut. Excellent rap/metal that I purchased in 1996 before the floodgates were opened. Once the whole sound started taking off in 1999 the clones came out. I don't bother much with these latest acts but of course prefer it over the boy-bands.

A fad? Personally, I don't think so. I believe it will be like hip-hop and find its listeners. Probably not on the same scale as hip-hop but will always be around now that the sound has had 15 years to "mature".

16. Brad_W

Brad_W Screenwriter

Lest we not forgot Beastie Boys.
    When I was 11 my cousin and I started a band called, Triple R which stood for Rap, Rock and Roll. So technically, I started Rap-core![​IMG]
    Here was our one and only song:
    Mirror
    Mirror Mirror on the wall
    Who's the greatest of them all?
    Triple R is our name.
    Our music is not the same.
    Our music is so good.
    You would buy it if you could.

That was about it.
    Of course, that band lasted about 3 months and we were another band called, The Slick Boys.
    Sometimes I reveal way too much about myself.

17. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

With the exception of Rage Against The Machine, I think it all sucks.

People will be tired of it in a few more years.

The sooner the better.

18. Brad_W

Brad_W Screenwriter

I actually don't think it will be over soon. If you think about like this:

1. Rap music is simplistic in every way. Simplistic droning repetitive drum beat to Simplistic Rhyming Couplets. Rap is for the masses because THEY are simplistic and need that kind of "music."

2. Metal/Rock is actual MUSIC and has a good following, but not as grandiose as Rap.

3. The hybrid of the two appeals to a large wide range of listeners.

That's my opinion anyway - harsh as it is.

19. John_Bonner

John_Bonner Supporting Actor

20. Brad_W

Brad_W Screenwriter