What's new

RANT!!!! (1 Viewer)

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Ok, sorry guys, I HAD to get this off my chest!
One of the most irritating sounds in the world to me is an alarm clock. Specifically an electronic beeping one. And it seems like every 4th or 5th commercial on TV nowadays has one going off in it!!! AGH!
It gives me hackles!
It provokes a pavlovian reponse of utter frustration in me. Once a day to get out of bed is PLENTY! What on earth are these marketing people thinking? Let's associate a sound that many people despise with a product we are trying to sell...

Ok, rant over.

:) d

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
It doesn't help that the commercials are always TWICE AS LOUD AS THE PROGRAM, does it?

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
True, true, Joe.
Since I posted this they have replayed 2 of the damned commercials!
One of them is a montage of people getting out of bed with many different alarms going off. The old school bell clocks aren't THAT bad but, Damn! those electronic ones!!!

:)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I developed a hate for the sound when a friend stayed at my place for 3 months. He had his alarm set for 5am, and every morning, I would hear that beep, in my sleep, and irregardless of what was going on in my dreams, it would all stop and I would "look" to see where the truck was backing up. I'd than wake up, and be pissed off for the rest of the day.

I have my alarm set to radio.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Yes, people should NEVER be woken up to an alarm. Scaring the crap out of you is NOT the way to wake people up.

Jimi C

Screenwriter
If its not annoying, I dont know if I would be able to force myself out of bed to turn it off. I have to keep my alarm clock across the room to make sure I get out of bed. In fact, I have 2 alarm clocks just to be on the safe side, stratigicly placed in my room to ensure Im not late. If it was right next to my bed I would just turn it off and go right back to sleep.

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
I wish there were an alarm clock whcih was more subtle - maybe gradual music. My radio aoarm has a distinctive power 'pahhft' sound which comes on before the music which I find irritating. Then there is the 50/50 chance the music is bad. Why not one with a decen power source and a graduated volume, maybe set at 1 for a minute, then 2, then 3, etc.

AND NO SNOOZE BUTTON! WTF? Like that ten minutes will make a difference in anyones sleep quality. Just give me an off button which is easy to find.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I use the radio. When I used the alarm sound, it would always become incorporated into the dream. "Everybody to the life boats! The ship is sinking!"

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I have an alarm clock from Sharper Image and it starts off with low music, then (every second) it turns up the volume a notch until it reaches the volume I set it to.

p.s. Whoops, I forgot how exepensive it was:
http://www.sharperimage.com/us/en/ca.../sku__SI785SIL

But I guess it was worth it. It's got time announcing, sound soothers, a CD player (that you can use as your alarm music), etc.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
I HATE the electronic alarms, they really freak me out.

It exists, and I've been using it for over five years. I've got a Philips CD Radio alarm clock for $50, and it's well worth the money. Every time I use it, I have it play track 2 of the Pearl Harbor soundtrack, with the volume rising to the setting I want. If I don't wake up within the first few minutes of the CD, I almost always wake up by the time the attack music starts. :D

This is what I've got: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=172282

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Thomas, MAN! I really like that Weekend feature. Damn! I hate having to remember to turn my alarm off on Saturday and back on; on Sunday night.

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
I hate it when both me and my neighbors have our windows open, and they leave their alarm clock on WAY too loud on the weekend mornings, waking me up to their buzzer.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell

Irregardless of what you may think Micha, I reserve the right to show off my public school education and general poor grammer. ;)

My ex had the best alarm clock. A half hour or so before you set the alarm, it would start a sequence that would slowly light up (simulate sun rise) with preset nature sounds (birds, thunderstorm, etc) that would peek in volume and intensity at the predtermined time, and than an alarm would go of to tell you to get out of bed. You could also put scent pellets on the top that would smell like coffee, chocolate, etc as the light bulb heated them up.

As new agey/ hippy-ish as this sounds, it really was a nice way to wake up, and Iwould actually feel more refreshed than the shock/jerked awake method of the traditional alarm clock.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell

So, this word is in fact reconized as a legitmant word, even if it's basically used by "yokels" and degenerate hillbillies who post about alarm clocks on website dedicated to Home Theater. So Micha and Joseph, screw you guys [to be said in my very best Cartman impression], and please see my signiture. ;) LOL!

I never had a timed coffee maker I could program, I had an ex that would get up before me and make me a Latte. Pretty good way to get up in the morning (well, beside my ex being a total... actually, that's probably better for a different thread. ;) ).

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Russell, sppeling erors will nott bee toler..tol..tolerrr...put up with around here!

:D

I freakin' HATE the sound of an alarm clock! To me it's two steps away from being woken up by an air horn. I don't even use an alarm clock, my body knows when to wake up and it works most of the time when I need to be somewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks