Rant: What idiot is marketing for AR cables?

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by Vader, Sep 8, 2006.

1. Vader

Vader Supporting Actor

Derek
    OK, here goes.....

I just finished re-wiring the analog cables between my HD-A1 and my Denon AVR. Why is this causing me to have an ulcer? Can somebody please tell me what the deal is with the arrows showing signal flow? I only thought to check because someone on here mentioned to make sure I have the arrows pointed toward the AVR. The actual printing on the *blue* cable is light silver, so it would be easily missed. There is absolutely no mention of this on the packaging, nor in the included hookup guide, so last night I spent 4 hours (long story) getting these things hooked up with no idea that they were directional. "Random chance seems to have operated in my favor" (10 points to who can tell me where that's from), and two out of the three were pointed correctly. If I ever get the chance to get in the same room with the guy who thought it was a good idea to print this ever-so-lightly on the cable (I had to get a flashlight to see it), and nowhere else, well.... God help him.....

Rant over. Deep breath. Back to more calibration festivities. Thanks for reading.

2. Alf S

Alf S Cinematographer

Alfer
    Dude do you seriously think a cable has to be connected in a certain direction??? Come on....IT DOESN'T MATTER..just connect the darn cables and enjoy your system!!

p.s How in the world do you think the cables know what direction they are ponted to anyway?? Ya think there's some kind of block built in that keeps sound going a certain dorection??

Come on...this must be a joke ...right??

[​IMG]

3. Seth=L

Seth=L Screenwriter

Some novice audiophiles and sometimes even seasoned one have come to believe that direcion matters. Snake oil companies like to through this crap at consumers that seemingly ensures a quality product.

Direction doesn't matter because in the case of audio interconnects and speaker wires it is not handled on a DC basis but rather AC. Since AC changes direction all the time at a very high rate having a directional cable makes no sense.

Snake oil will try to confuse you on a great number of things, if something sounds this strange or ridiculous then it probably isn't true.

4. Vader

Vader Supporting Actor

Derek

I guess I was thinking along the lines of directional diodes, that do restrict current flow to a given direction. But that's DC, not AC as Seth pointed out...

"As a circle of light expands, so does the circumference of darkness around it." I'm still learning, guys (albeit slowly)... and I've found no better place to do that than here...[​IMG]

5. Seth=L

Seth=L Screenwriter

Don't be so hard on yourself. This isn't a matter of life or death or anything. Just because some snake oil company misleads people doesn't make them idiots. And note Acoustic Research isn't very expensive, so you didn't lose out or any such thing. So you aren't an idiot, and just throw the rock in which you hide under in the stream and forget about it.

6. Jeff O.

Jeff O. Stunt Coordinator

Actually vader you are not an idiot and in some cases there is a reason for it. I am not an elecrical engineer and maybe completely wrong (hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in), but I remember something about the directional cables being grounded at only one end. I don't remember which end it was, however. I believe this may help prevent ground loops. Whether it really makes any difference or not I don't know. Just check to make sure they are in the right orientation and you will feel better at any rate.

Jeff

7. Seth=L

Seth=L Screenwriter

AR cables don't have grounds to my knowlege. I have an audioquest subwoofer cable with a ground on both ends of the cable with small spade plugs suppied on each end.

8. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

The arrows point in the direction of the signal flow. So for a preamp to amp connection, they'd point towards the amp. As Jeff pointed out, if the cables are shielded, the shielding will be connected on one end (the source) and not connected on the other (the destination).

9. Vader

Vader Supporting Actor

Derek
    Thanks, Chu...[​IMG]