What's new

RANT - Video Store Employees (1 Viewer)

Hunter P

Screenwriter

B-b-b-but Rose McGowan is a hottie! Can't you at least tell them to fast forward to the "good scenes"?:b

Shawn Bridges

Auditioning
I have heard of this type of thing happening a lot but have never had it happen to me. I actually wish it would, then I could have a good avenue to release some pent up frustration. :D The other night my sons and I were at our local video store looking for nothing in particular and I was amazed at how many new releases were full screen version only. I made a comment along the lines of what is wrong with this place. My nine year old said "some people just don't know what they are missing." :) We only have 4:3 32" and refuse to watch anything other than widescreen.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
i had a similar experience in 2000, i was in a FYE store at the mall, they had the new pearl jam cd binaural at a good price, so i went there to get it, on release day, of course (ive bought all of pearl jams albums on release day, i'm a dork). anyway, at the counter, the kid tells me i wont like it. i said i would take my chances. he said 'no if you like their first few albums, you wont like it, trust me'. so i said i like the album already, ive downloaded the leaked tracks and i want to buy it. he still insisted. so i got quiet and looked at him for about 5 seconds and calmly said "you dont want to find out what happens if you dont sell this cd to me now". apparently he didnt want to find out. not like i would have done anything, i'm all of 5'9" 145 lbs, but a little confidence goes a long way. the nerve of him though, i couldnt believe it. did he not like pearl jam enough to try to not sell a few copies? anyone who wants it will get it there or somewhere else anyway. i wish it would happen to me again, i always need excuses to lash out snappy retorts at people.

CJ

JasenP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jasen
B-b-b-but Rose McGowan is a hottie! Can't you at least tell them to fast forward to the "good scenes"?
I can recommend Rose McGowan to anyone, I can't recommend The Doom Generation to anyone who isn't a masochist.

Talk to a manager for sure... that behavior is totally unacceptable.

Adil M

Supporting Actor
Having been on both sides of such employee/customer stories/rants, I wonder at the lack (my guess about people on their PC too much) of social skills of some members on this board. You deal w/ people everyday and sometimes some of them will get under your skin which is understandable, but normally it is really simple to brush aside stupid people. I mean one simple response after they give their pseudo-critique is "How much was that?" That's a polite way of saying "I'm not a fan of commentary on my dvd's or my salespeople."
If getting them "fired" makes you happy, go ahead and try.
There's so many of these stories I could tell you from both points of view. I could start my own thread and fill out the first 3 pages w/ those stories. Point is to "quit stressing out over trivial matters." If these matters aren't trivial then you're in denial or have a real easy life.

*edit - Actually ignore my post. I understand that complaining is kind of cathartic for a lot of people. Yes, customer service is on a downslide, but customer service is the first thing people will toss for a decrease in price (discussed to death). We may want it, but we'll be damned if we have to pay for it.
- Sacasm on
It's kind of like when a girl will complain about something to you. You don't answer her w/ logic and reasoning. You pretend to empathize and change the subject. ;)
- Sarcasm off

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
You deal w/ people everyday and sometimes some of them will get under your skin which is understandable.
I think that's probably a big part of the problem. Most people put up with enough crap on a daily basis from the people they *have* to deal with that they shouldn't have to put up with any more from someone who's only action should be to smile politely and punch the keys of the cash register.

After a day at the office, stopping at the video store or the mall on the way home should be a pleasant experience. You shouldn't get harrangued about your choices and basically called an idiot because of what you pulled off the shelf.

Shawn Bridges

Auditioning
Having been on both sides of such employee/customer stories/rants, I wonder at the lack (my guess about people on their PC too much) of social skills of some members on this board. You deal w/ people everyday and sometimes some of them will get under your skin which is understandable, but normally it is really simple to brush aside stupid people. I mean one simple response after they give their pseudo-critique is "How much was that?" That's a polite way of saying "I'm not a fan of commentary on my dvd's or my salespeople." There's so many of these stories I could tell you from both points of view. I could start my own thread and fill out the first 3 pages w/ those stories. Point is to "quit strssing out over trivial matters." If these matters aren't trivial then you're in denial or have a real easy life.
I agree that in the scheme of things this is a trival event in anyones life. BUT... Having worked in many areas of the Customer Service industry, I have seen a very sharp decline in customer service over the past two decades. It is not the salespersons job to comment on, refuse to sell/rent, a product that they have available when their opinion is unsolicited. There was a time when you could walk into a store and pick an item off the shelf, be greeted with a smile, pay, and then go home happy. And while there are polite ways to handle any situation, I would think that the clerk Terry encountered would not take it as being polite and would have continued his view point until he was blue in the face.

Personally my frustration is with the total lack of customer service in many places.

**RANT ON**
There is a convenience store in my town that I refuse to step foot in. One night I stop to pick up a gal. of milk. I was in a line of three people and the three clerks behind the counter were talking away totally ignoring the customers. I have no idea how long they took before they finally came over to the counter but I only waited for a minute and half. Even though I would have loved to say something I just left the milk on the counter and walked out. Now is a minute and a half all that much time? No, but when you have two registers, three clerks, no customer should be waiting for them to finish their conversation before being served.
**RANT OFF***

Am I the only one that sees quality customer service on a decline?

Chris Hovanic

Supporting Actor
customer serverice is on a downward swing....

With big corps. cutting positions and forcing thier managers to only hire part time people, I think that the people doing thoes jobs don't have any reason to give good customer service. They have no insentive.

My father-in-law is a manager of a big chain grocery/home store. He no longer recieves any bonuses. before they cut the bonuses they made the goals so high that it was next to impossible to reach. Where is the insentive...

None of this condones this video store self-proclaimed movie critic to push his views / opinion on me or anyone else that doesnt ask.

I slam the door in peoples face when they try to sell me something at my home (except for the school kids). Weather its a product or thier view. Im also as rude as can be to the phone solisitors that some how get my unlisted phone number. I would do the same to the dirty spamerz that flood my e-mail address with 1000s of crap e-mails every month if I could find a way to.

Bottom line.... If I want someones opinion or a product or information I will find them and ask for it.

dang.. that feels better.... ;)

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
Ok heres my experience with Video stores in my area. Theres really 2 choices within a distance that I'm willing to travel from my house, First is the grocery store next door. They're either rented out of the movie I want, or they close 10 minutes early Though they rent all dvds/videos for $.79 a day Sun-Thurs even new releases. Next is the Blockbuster down the streat. The Blockbuster though I typically dont like them as a chain is pretty awesome, the people there are super friendly and helpful (amazing I know) The coolest thing that happened was I called the night that Treasure Planet came out and asked if they had any copys on DVD they said yes so I was like ok thanx. 2 hours Later I decided to go in and grab one only to find they were out. There was a girl standing not too far away from the counter who looked up and said "did you call earlier?" and I was like yeah and she pointed at the guy at the counter helping me and said that copy behind is for him I put it on hold for you but you hung up so fast I couldnt get your name. Now thats awesome!

Mark Shannon

Screenwriter
back to the whole P&S issue, I also have wanted to see Jackass for a while... To my surprise, the only type BB has is...you guessed it: P&S!....

I told someone who works there, but he couldn't have cared less.. so, I bit my lip and got it... pity tho, because I usually get a fair amount of my DVD's previously viewed from BB, but I wont be gettin that if it's P&S...

it seems, though, that BB has caught on a little bit (at least in my area). They are offering more movies now in both versions (wish it could be all WS, but they still gotta keep the dumbasses (sorry bout that) happy)....

You don't get refunds for "not liking the film"--so what business is it of theirs anyway?
actually, Michelle, at the BB by me at least, with the BB Favourites titles, if you don't like it, tell them, and aparently your next one's free....never tried it tho...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks