What's new

RANT - Video Store Employees (1 Viewer)

Terry Hansen

Stunt Coordinator
RANT MODE/ON:
My fiancé and myself go to our local chain video store to rent a couple of DVDs. She picks out her chick flick and I decide to rent Jackass - The Movie. Selection was kind of limited and I've been waiting to rent this.

I take my selections up to the counter when the employee behind the counter sees that I have Jackass and flatout refuses to rent me the "Worst movie I've ever seen, totally stupid and no plot." No plot? Has this guy ever watched Jackass before (To be fair it's not readily available in Canada)? Of course there's no plot, it's supposed to be stupid. So I say no really I want to rent it. But he insists I won't like it, it's stupid, etc... He won't stop. He's now beginning to cause a scene, the other clerks ask him what movie it is, people start to look over. By this time my patience has run out, so I say Ok thats enough rent me the F***ing movie before I lose my cool. So now I'm in a bad mood, my fiance is saying maybe we shouldn't rent it and at this point I'm renting the thing on principle. Took me a while to calm down, and yes I laughed myself silly at Jackass.

What still bothers me is if I wanted his critical opinion of the movie I would have asked for it. I don't mind the occasional comment that its a good movie or that I made a good choice. Maybe because I'm in my mid 30s and possibly he thought I didn't know what I was renting. But I don't like being made to feel stupid for renting a movie that I want to see. I don't think they should offer any unsolicited negative comments, do they assume that I just closed my eyes and just grabbed the first thing that I found? BTW I received other negative comments on my movie choices, and on some damn fine movies (Ghost World, Requiem for a Dream, to name a couple). This also pisses me off, what if I happened to grab Ghost World, never having heard of it, and some clown at the counter tells me I won't like it (not that I would let anyone influence my movie watching decisions, but some might). I could miss out on seeing an excellent movie just because the movie critic behind the counter thought Ghost World had no ghosts.

Just thought I would get this off my chest.

RANT MODE/OFF.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Jeezuz. Was this BB, or Rogers, or something else Terry?

Personally, I would have asked to see the manager, and would politely tell him or her that I don't need the staff telling ME that MY choices are poor, thankyouverymuch.

Grrrr. I don't think I'd rent from that store again, were it me. Mind you, I already don't go to the local BB, as every time I've been in there, the kids manning the store have been... uh... twits.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Wow, I've never heard of someone actually saying they won't rent you amovie because they don't like it!

I can't stand any comments about my purchases (or in this case rentals), be they flattering, critical, positive or negative. They're there to take my money, not to make a judgment of my product. Record stores are the worst, in my experience. Seems like either they have to snicker if it's something mainstream, or make a comment to show they know about the CD (or ask about it if they don't know) if it's something obscure.

/Mike

Terry Hansen

Stunt Coordinator
Leila, funny you mention Pan&Scan. We recently had a Blockbuster open approximately the same distance from the above Rogers. I checked it out opening day and the entire DVD selection was P&S. Needless to say I haven't been back.

Tony, this was Rogers. I may have to start going to Five Star Video again, sigh.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
It was Rogers? Really! I'm surprised! The Rogers stores in my area have been great! (Unlike the BB's...pan 'n scan central)

I'd perhaps send a polite-but-firm letter to the manager about this incident. They can't fix the problem if they aren't aware of it.

*aside*
It was actually a Rogers employee that got me into DVD! (The bastard...it's cost me FAR too much money!) ;) :D I kept ordering widescreen VHS movies, and got frustrated when I couldn't find certain ones in OAR. He kept telling me about the joys of DVD... and I caved and bought two DVD's from him, and THEN went out to buy a player. ;)

Since then, my wallet has been eaten by several moths. :D
*/aside*

PS - I'm in Calgary. *Friendly wave to the north* Hows the snow up there? Sucks down here today!

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
that guy was out of line. since when is it his job to critique customer's selections? :rolleyes

what's up with other customers doing that too?

i was renting "frailty" when some lady said something about how weird that movie was (or something to that affect) - i looked at her and said something like, "well, if you don't like it i probably will.".

i know it was rude, but i kinda got a kick out of it. :)

Chris Hovanic

Supporting Actor
not sure if they deliver to Canada. Netflix.com is where its at. $20.00 a month and they deliver to your door. And none of the crap DVD's they rent at BB or other big chains....

BTW...I agree with you all the way... just tell the pimpled face twirp to "Shut His Pie Hole!"

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
Contact the manager and have the little punk fired. This may sound harsh but allowing a store employee to behave in such a disrespectful manner towards any customer is totally unacceptable and shouldn't be tolerated one damn bit.

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
Terry,

I've stopped going to Blockbuster because all of their new releases are pan and scan now. But I stopped going to my local blockbuster because of the guy who worked there every night. He was some middle aged guy with a ponytail and missing teeth who had annointed himself film critic. He couldn't stop giving away the endings of all the 'bad' movies that people rented. I think he was eventually fired but a couple of times I had to re-shelf a movie I planned to rent because, while ringing it up, he'd give away the ending.

~j

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
The guy sounds like an idiot.

I worked at a video store for about 6 years and the only time I would advise someone not to rent something without being asked, was when they would grab a film that I have heard nothing but complaints on from prior people who rented it. I would never tell them that I would not let them rent it, or be pushy about it. I would just kind of let them know that none of our other customers liked the movie.

What do you expect from some little minimum wage part time employee?
Assholes are not exclusive to certain pay-rates. Most minimum wage, part-time employees are fine at their job. but sadly most people only seem to notice or remember the ones that are incompetent.

Jay Heyl

Stunt Coordinator
This sounds like a fine situation for some snappy retorts.

"I didn't realize critical commentary was part of the job description for video rental clerk."

"Have you given any thought to what you'd like to do after this job?"

"No, I don't care for fries with that."

Or the always appreciated classic, "When I want your opinion I'll beat it out of you."

Michelle Schmid

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michelle Holloway
How could he possibly know what you would like? Does he have a crystal ball? Can he see into your head? The store obviously rents that film or they wouldn't have it in stock. What difference does it make if other people didn't like it? You don't get refunds for "not liking the film"--so what business is it of theirs anyway? I like a *lot* of things that other women typically don't like, but I'll be damned if I'll let some kid behind the counter dictate to me what I can/cannot be allowed to rent! :angry: I'd have asked to speak to the manager and proceeded to tell him exactly why I won't be renting any more films from them!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
i was renting "frailty" when some lady said something about how weird that movie was (or something to that affect) - i looked at her and said something like, "well, if you don't like it i probably will."
:laugh: :emoji_thumbsup: People should mind their own damn business.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Yep, it sucks when you can't think up a snappy comeback for jerks like him.

Mine - My uncle wanted to know if I want to be in the sequel.

Glenn

JasenP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jasen
What still bothers me is if I wanted his critical opinion of the movie I would have asked for it.
Exactly. As a four year veteran of two video stores I only offered my opinion when asked, and it was always 100% from the heart.

The official stance of the video store was never to openly critisize a film, but instead say that you haven't seen it, but I couldn't look anyone in the eye again if I didn't warn them about crap like "The Doom Generation" if they asked. But that didn't stop me from rolling my eyes when they brought Ace Ventura up to the counter, but I didn't actually say anything. ;)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
terry -

in all seriousness, at the very least, you should mention this to store management. they may blow you off (in which case you'll definitely know not to give them any more of your money) but they may also give the employee a lecture.

i mean...you probably don't want to get the guy fired, but they should know about his behavior. it really is unacceptable.

they made you feel bad for goodness sake...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks