RANT: Those ANNOYING Commercials by Networks during the TV show

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by John_Graz, Dec 20, 2005.

1. John_Graz

John_Graz Stunt Coordinator

Am I the only one annoyed by the Network Advertisements for upcoming episodes of other shows DURING the show your're watching ?? I don't know know exactly what these animated little "pop ups" are -
    but I REALLY HATE THEM !!![​IMG] [​IMG]

To make it even worse when you record on your DVR you get stuck with these dumb-ass Pop up for shows I have no interest in watching ![​IMG]

2. Linda Thompson

Linda Thompson Supporting Actor

E! is a really big offender in this regard. I used to sometimes record eps of "True Hollywood Story" but it's a joke to even try to watch them... You're lucky if you can see even 50 percent of the screen at certain points. I did suffer through the recent (new) "Home Improvement" installment of the show...but ONLY because I really love "Home Improvement". It was a great ep, too...you just can't tell it from all the other nonsense being thrown at you on the screen while you're trying to watch it. Absolutely BEYOND ridiculous.

And, don't you just love it when they play such annoyances OVER THE OPENING TITLES AND CREDITS?!?

3. danak

danak Second Unit

You're preaching to the choir John. It really annoys me and I wish they would stop.

Dana in MD

4. Scott-S

Scott-S Cinematographer
    Supporter

Scott
    It is going to get worse since the viewers don't seem bothered enough to complain in sufficient numbers to matter.

My anti-logo site in my signiture is a good place to vent your frustration.

5. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

I love it when they put sound with the pop-ups. [​IMG]

6. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

We watched "The Grinch..." on our local WB affiliate last week (we don't own it) and at first I had high hopes. It was old school to look forward to something being broadcast and at first I thought that since it was a classic they would chill with the pop=ups. Nope. After about 5 minutes they started and continued through the whole damn show. And what was reall assinine is during this "special family presentation" they were showing pop ups for "Twins". ugh....

[​IMG] d

I agree, this should stop. It's one reason we barely ever watch broadcast TV anymore.

7. Hunter P

Hunter P Screenwriter

I remember watching a movie on the USA network (forget which one) and I see Anthony Michael Hall's head walk in at the bottom of the screen and I think to myself, "I don't remember him being in this movie." Then he puts his hand up on the screen and fades to a promo time for his "Dead Zone" TV show. Kept doing it throughout the movie and I kept getting fooled into thinking it was an actor walking in on the foreground. You'd figure I'd get a clue after the 5th time.:b

8. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    They do this during NASCAR races too, they'll show the cars coming towards the camera mounted on the wall and suddenly this little pit crew member walks out from the side of the screen and begins to air-rivet the times for next weeks races complete with sound which drowns out the commentators. [​IMG]

It's wierd, because your first instinct is to think "Holy shit! He's going to get hit! Watch out poor little pit crew man!"

9. Scott-S

Scott-S Cinematographer
    Supporter

Scott
    I have to say I am glad to see that others are finally reaching a boiling point about the screen spam. Now if we could just get a tv network to listen to our complaints without just sending out a canned response saying that the viewers like this stuff. I get this response to my complaints about the on-screen logo all the time. Hell, at this point I would be happy if they would just shrink them and make them translucent (like they were when they started).

As far as ads go, I still think that a good way of getting this to stop is to get the producers of the shows to complain to the networks about how they are using the producers show to advertise someone elses show.

10. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

Which is exactly why they are doing it [​IMG] Most people record shows and skip the commercials, so they figure this is the only way to get you to watch any sort of promo.

It totally SUCKS! As I said in another thread, the promos are SO big, with my big screen TV, the promos are now as big as my old tv! [​IMG]

11. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I'm sure the networks are very aware of their talent's dislike of the screen junk. They just don't care what they or the viewers think about it.

Matt Stone and Trey Parker complain about it on one of their South Park mini-commentaries. They're the biggest show on Comedy Central (at least they are again with Chappelle's departure) and their show has made Comedy Central millions and millions of dollars and the most they can get is that CC doesn't run junk over their new episodes first broadcast. After that first run, it's time to advertise during the show. Unfortunately, that's how much they care about what the people behind the shows think.

12. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

On the other hand, I'm sure that the studios that release these shows on DVD have NO problem with it. I often skip the broadcast and just get the series on DVD as I can't STAND this crap. If you love a show you will want to get a copy without bugs and promos virtually ensuring that you won't just keep it on your tivo, you will buy the discs.

[​IMG]

13. Hunter P

Hunter P Screenwriter

It's the "there's no such thing as bad publicity" philosophy. If you complain then the execs only think that it is doing its job of getting noticed.

14. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

That's so true.

It's like ignoring my ex. I would only bitch about her if I actually still cared, but since I no longer care, I don't bitch about her.

15. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

SO true, Mark....

[​IMG]

16. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

South Park is TOTALLY unwatchable on cable- last time I saw it the bug came on with a spray-paint animation, then stayed on with sort of a shadowing effect behind it! If I worked on that show I would leave unless they stopped it. DVD is the only good way to see it, though it's on now in syndication also and the station showing it here runs it with no onscreen crap!

17. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

To play devil's advocate though Do Trey and Matt get any percentage of the dvd sales dough?

[​IMG]

18. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Folks, as has been noted in all the previous threads about station-bug logos, all this "screen spam" is going to stay and, in fact, get worse until we, the viewers, make our disgust known in an organized way -- or until the government steps in (and, with this government, attacking corporate-think is verbotin).

So, either live with this nonsense or don't (and, thankfully, we have DVD).

19. Scott-S

Scott-S Cinematographer
    Supporter

Scott
    Too bad that the logos are now creeping in on the DVDs now.

Soon, we will have no choice. [​IMG]

20. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

True, since technically we only agree to technically "licensing" the property and don't actually ever own it, more bugs on DVD etc. wouldn't surprise me.